BYOD for Year 12? (1 Viewer)

loje

HSC
So Year 11 this year were the last ones to receive the crappy laptops in Year 9 but noone in our school uses them. With the new BYOD (Bring your own device), there are only a handful (2-3 per class) who brings a tablet/2-in-1 laptop to school.

With Year 12 coming soon, I'm wondering if it would be worth buying a new laptop for year 12. I currently only have an OK laptop that is a couple years old and heavy so I will definitely have to buy a new one if that's the case. Is it highly recommended to bring one to school or is it unnecessary (or distractive - if thats a word)?

astroman

HSC
You don't need a beast of a laptop for school, something that can run typing software like onenote or word will do just fine. Also, look into a chromebook. You can get them for as cheap as $200 and they have everything done online so it's convenient to move your school notes to an online cloud or external harddrive.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
To be honest a laptop is only useful if you have to do a significant amount of research in your class and you don't have access to a computer lab for that class, to be honest, when I had those laptops, I was forced to used them rather than needed to use them as per se, I definitely would say it is not essential to get a laptop-but getting a thinner laptop may well be very important for uni or when if you want to study in the library or something and you want to work on a research assignment and don't need to be subjected to those crazy time constraints they have on library computers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)