Cadetship 2015 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey, I am trying to apply for some accounting cadetships however I am doing an engineering com degree at unsw which is 5.5 years. I am willing to drop my engineering degree if I am able to make it into a cadetship program, so I'm just asking whether or not they'll let me apply considering my situation, or will they interview me first (if i get in) and then discuss my finishing date for my degree?
Dont tell them about ur engo degree. Just drop it when u get in. Unless you are already doing engo subs. Which would otherwise mean a semester delay in uni completion after switching to comm

mysterymarkplz

HSC
N/A
Are you doing Engineering/Comm at UNSW ?
Yeah i am.

@Oblivious,
I've done engineering subjects and I've only taken accounting 1a, about to take accounting 1b in sem 2. Also would it be difficult to apply, considering I have no wam right now?

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Okay just tell them upfront you are doing comm/engo, but are willing to drop.

Wam wont matter if they wont be expecting much considering they are looking to hire 1st years, who obvz havent finished a sem yet

matchalolz

HSC
so I applied for the UBS cadetship the other day and was invited to take a competency-based assessment (by SHL I'm assuming since they have linked me to those practice tests).

Has anyone here done the online assessments for UBS previously? Which areas should I be preparing for - verbal reasoning? numerical? logical/deductive?

Also, any advice in general (does not have to be specifically UBS)?

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
so I applied for the UBS cadetship the other day and was invited to take a competency-based assessment (by SHL I'm assuming since they have linked me to those practice tests).

Has anyone here done the online assessments for UBS previously? Which areas should I be preparing for - verbal reasoning? numerical? logical/deductive?

Also, any advice in general (does not have to be specifically UBS)?
Time management is crucial, don't sink too much time into one question and then end up not being able to finish the whole test.

Don't do the test on like two hours of sleep :p generally you'd want to be feeling fresh and on top of things.

Don't freak out! :p

matchalolz

HSC
Time management is crucial, don't sink too much time into one question and then end up not being able to finish the whole test.

Don't do the test on like two hours of sleep :p generally you'd want to be feeling fresh and on top of things.

Don't freak out! :p
Thanks! just a bit hyped because I tried out a practice test and it was quite trippy :S (nothing like tests I've done before)
I'm also super busy the days before it's due but I'll just try to calm down and practice a bit more :p

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
Thanks! just a bit hyped because I tried out a practice test and it was quite trippy :S (nothing like tests I've done before)
I'm also super busy the days before it's due but I'll just try to calm down and practice a bit more :p
It isn't really much you can study for, I did a few practice tests just so I know what to expect, and then just dived in and "believed"... :p

matchalolz

HSC
It isn't really much you can study for, I did a few practice tests just so I know what to expect, and then just dived in and "believed"... :p
yup, if it's meant to be I'll make it. There's no point working in a job I'm not suited to anyways

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
yup, if it's meant to be I'll make it. There's no point working in a job I'm not suited to anyways
Don't think of it that simply though, It might just be that it isn't your day when you do the test. There were ones I completely dun goofed and struggled to finish and others which I just found really easy. Hopefully yours isn't anything cryptic :p

matchalolz

HSC
Don't think of it that simply though, It might just be that it isn't your day when you do the test. There were ones I completely dun goofed and struggled to finish and others which I just found really easy. Hopefully yours isn't anything cryptic :p
forgot to ask, are you generally allowed to use calculators?

matchalolz

HSC
They'll never know :p I did, I don't remember being told not too... ?
tbh at this stage I don't even know if i want to go into investment banking, since it's me vs computer screen I might use one idk
did you end up getting a cadetship?/what r u doing rn?

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
tbh at this stage I don't even know if i want to go into investment banking, since it's me vs computer screen I might use one idk
did you end up getting a cadetship?/what r u doing rn?
I know jack all about IB, didn't even apply for UBS, but I applied for the accounting ones, studying Commerce @ USyd atm, I start work with the cadetship next year.

matchalolz

HSC
I know jack all about IB, didn't even apply for UBS, but I applied for the accounting ones, studying Commerce @ USyd atm, I start work with the cadetship next year.
ooh I want to do commerce at usyd too actually! they offer part-time?? (i swear I read in a degree book somewhere that it didnt?)
I just figured that even if IB is different, I should get my hands on all the interview opportunities that I get
when you were applying, did u definitely know that you wanted to do accounting?

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
ooh I want to do commerce at usyd too actually! they offer part-time?? (i swear I read in a degree book somewhere that it didnt?)
I just figured that even if IB is different, I should get my hands on all the interview opportunities that I get
when you were applying, did u definitely know that you wanted to do accounting?
They definitely offer part time, I can confirm that, and if you're doing a cadetship they have someone who's there to help you manage your timetable around work and what not just in case you have any issues.

There's definitely a lot to take away from the application process, it'll make your next one a whole lot easier. Also realistically its hard to know if you DEFINITELY want to do it because you haven't ever done it, but I read into it and did the research, I found it interesting, I knew I wanted to do Commerce so thats how I approached it.

matchalolz

HSC
They definitely offer part time, I can confirm that, and if you're doing a cadetship they have someone who's there to help you manage your timetable around work and what not just in case you have any issues.

There's definitely a lot to take away from the application process, it'll make your next one a whole lot easier. Also realistically its hard to know if you DEFINITELY want to do it because you haven't ever done it, but I read into it and did the research, I found it interesting, I knew I wanted to do Commerce so thats how I approached it.
That's good to know then! (didn't want to have to trek to unsw)

*sobs* the world just expects 17 yr olds to know what they want to do. My hsc subjects rn are strongly skewed towards commerce as I know I defs want a degree in it, but like what you said above, I just don't think I can decide specifically which area I want to go into until I try it out :/
Do the accounting ones involve tests like these as well? I just want to know if spending 2-3 days on this is worth the investment as I do have school stuff to do as well. Then again, job > marks

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
That's good to know then! (didn't want to have to trek to unsw)

*sobs* the world just expects 17 yr olds to know what they want to do. My hsc subjects rn are strongly skewed towards commerce as I know I defs want a degree in it, but like what you said above, I just don't think I can decide specifically which area I want to go into until I try it out :/
Do the accounting ones involve tests like these as well? I just want to know if spending 2-3 days on this is worth the investment as I do have school stuff to do as well. Then again, job > marks
Accounting ones had the SHL Tests as well, some had online interviews before the in person interviews, the application process stays pretty similar across them all.

matchalolz

HSC
Accounting ones had the SHL Tests as well, some had online interviews before the in person interviews, the application process stays pretty similar across them all.
how do the real tests compare with the practice SHL tests?

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
how do the real tests compare with the practice SHL tests?
I only did like one practice test and then just started doing the ones for the applications, it wasn't that different tbh, the practice test just didn't have as many questions or cover as much. They're pretty good though, I'd definitely suggest doing more than one if you really care about the specific application.

pomsky

HSC
alksdjfdsa. Now that I think about it, do you reckon UBS lets you do a comm/law degree and work part-time?

Also, do they tell you your %/ results straight away? tbh I was too jumpy and didn't read the e-mail properly LOL. still cannot properly focus on reading it cos a lot of emotion and shiz has happened over the past few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)