CADETSHIPS 2012 Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

brarbie95

HSC
Yes :) i had my pwc assessment centre on tuesday and received my
Offer within 2 hours of my interview! Thank you so much to tambam and seremify for your help :) and anyone doing the pwc interview :
-stay chill, i didnt read websites and memorise stuff or ehatever not but i was personal about my goals etc
- the interview is relaxed! I made my interviewers laugh numerous times and they enjoyed it!
Any other questions?
Goodluck!

brarbie95

HSC
just got rejected from KPMG. major feedback included: need to research more about what you'll be doing. more in depth answers. but apparently "I set benchmark for written and verbal"

I have an interview tomorrow so can someone just clarify, what do you do in assurance? I know what assurance is, but like what do cadets do in assurance? Any help appreciated.
For pwc, i wasnt asked anything specific about pwc or assurance or whatever not, id just be prepared to say one thing about assurance that made you choose it
Over other areas :) dont stress! Its really relaxed !

HSC
Offer within 2 hours of my interview! Thank you so much to tambam and seremify for your help :) and anyone doing the pwc interview :
-stay chill, i didnt read websites and memorise stuff or ehatever not but i was personal about my goals etc
- the interview is relaxed! I made my interviewers laugh numerous times and they enjoyed it!
Any other questions?
Goodluck!
Congratulations! It seems that your interview must have gone really well. Just curious though, were there any times you thought that a person in your situation would be stumped? Or was it really that relaxed throughout the whole time? :eek:

tambam

HSC
I feel so on the outside here.

Haven't even heard back from 1 firm I applied for yet.

I'm seriously hoping it's just because they closed on Saturday (the 30th) and nothing else :/
Is this for a mid tier? Its only been a few days, so there's still hope, good luck :)

Any other questions?
Goodluck!
Nice work, are you going to accept the offer? Or do you have other interviews lined up

brarbie95

HSC
Congratulations! It seems that your interview must have gone really well. Just curious though, were there any times you thought that a person in your situation would be stumped? Or was it really that relaxed throughout the whole time? :eek:
Hey! Thanks :) yeah i was feeling pretty good about it and luckily i got it! To be honest, i think it depends largely on who interviews you, as we had 4 panels of 2 people, and i think the level of formality depends with each panel. I'm guessing a lot of the other interviewers may have asked specific questions about pwc and assurance or whatever not, so i woulnt totally not research, but theyre more interested in you and your future at pwc, not how much you can rote learn :) they do ask about some recent financial events so its could to just know about whats happening!

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
they do ask about some recent financial events so its could to just know about whats happening!
When answering a question like that I would highly recommend candidates DO NOT mention litigation involving the firm being applied for.

HSC
Hey! Thanks :) yeah i was feeling pretty good about it and luckily i got it! To be honest, i think it depends largely on who interviews you, as we had 4 panels of 2 people, and i think the level of formality depends with each panel. I'm guessing a lot of the other interviewers may have asked specific questions about pwc and assurance or whatever not, so i woulnt totally not research, but theyre more interested in you and your future at pwc, not how much you can rote learn :) they do ask about some recent financial events so its could to just know about whats happening!
Thanks for your advice :) It's much appreciated

When answering a question like that I would highly recommend candidates DO NOT mention litigation involving the firm being applied for.
Haha I thought that was pretty obvious
unless people have done it before? :/

HSC
You'd be surprised.
very...

although then again, I guess people can say all sorts of weird things interviews, like "Don't I look hot in this business suit", "I want to be a business analysis" and "Show me the money" according to UniGrad rofl

also, just realised the change in your sig haha

M

MichelleV

very...

although then again, I guess people can say all sorts of weird things interviews, like "Don't I look hot in this business suit", "I want to be a business analysis" and "Show me the money" according to UniGrad rofl

also, just realised the change in your sig haha
Haha, those are just gold.

imbecile

HSC
For pwc, i wasnt asked anything specific about pwc or assurance or whatever not, id just be prepared to say one thing about assurance that made you choose it
Over other areas :) dont stress! Its really relaxed !
I got it! ahah woo! seems like I fixed some stuff up

M

MichelleV

Congrats on all the offers guys!
:D
Glad to see so many people are getting offers at the firms they wanted!

-Still- waiting on the firms I applied for.

*sigh*

cc18

HSC
Quick question, BAcc (UTS) or Cadetship (@ one of the Big 4)? because BAcc is also sponsored by the Big 4 and others and you get to choose where you want to work for your 18 months of industry placement.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Quick question, BAcc (UTS) or Cadetship (@ one of the Big 4)? because BAcc is also sponsored by the Big 4 and others and you get to choose where you want to work for your 18 months of industry placement.
The two are very different. BAcc is a coop scholarship whereby you get various industrial training/placements (i.e. internships) at the sponsors which includes the big4 (i.e. you may get a placement at a big4 firm) whereas the cadetship is a full time job and hence you go through the progression path/development plan/etc at the respective organisation. This has been covered elsewhere but the coop program is better if you don't really know what you want to do and want to keep options open whilst getting experience and guaranteeing you'll get some good internships/opportunities whereas the cadetship is really focussed on career development and progression in a specific firm/organisation with the view of getting your CA qualification as well as your on the job skills developed as quickly as possible.

cc18

HSC
The two are very different. BAcc is a coop scholarship whereby you get various industrial training/placements (i.e. internships) at the sponsors which includes the big4 (i.e. you may get a placement at a big4 firm) whereas the cadetship is a full time job and hence you go through the progression path/development plan/etc at the respective organisation. This has been covered elsewhere but the coop program is better if you don't really know what you want to do and want to keep options open whilst getting experience and guaranteeing you'll get some good internships/opportunities whereas the cadetship is really focussed on career development and progression in a specific firm/organisation with the view of getting your CA qualification as well as your on the job skills developed as quickly as possible.
I understand that they are different but assuming that I am to pursue a career in accounting, which would be better in terms of graduate salary?

I hear that with Cadetships, since the high number of applicants, the firms can easily pay low salaries and they'll still be of high demand. Additionally, Cadets are required to pay tax on their earnings too right? This would also reduce the amount they earn working full time.
With BAcc, it's $45,000 over 3 years (tax-free) and statistically, 98% of graduates have starting salaries of $65k+, and also keeping in mind that they would also enjoy a better life at uni since they dont work full time.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I hear that with Cadetships, since the high number of applicants, the firms can easily pay low salaries and they'll still be of high demand. Additionally, Cadets are required to pay tax on their earnings too right? This would also reduce the amount they earn working full time.
If you earn above the tax free threshold in a single financial year, you pay tax. $15k p/a vs. $30-35k p/a whilst working and $8-10k p/a when not working (which in theory would also be tax free then). Even after tax and super is deducted, guess which one will be ahead. Note: I do not think money really should be a guiding factor here.

With BAcc, it's $45,000 over 3 years (tax-free) and statistically, 98% of graduates have starting salaries of $65k+, and also keeping in mind that they would also enjoy a better life at uni since they dont work full time.
I think you need to speak to a lot more people. In the current economy, most graduate jobs are not $65k+ in the Commerce field. Starting salary is also not a great thing to benchmark since you need to weigh up other factors which influence starting salaries such as career progression/development and brand name (i.e. if one firm or company offers much better training and career progression or exit opportunities, then they can pay a lower salary in the short term).

Also, you should research the program structure a bit more. I'm too lazy to call out all the details but keep in mind BAcc guys don't follow standard uni semesters (i.e. they take extra classes outside of the normal semester) and they are working full time during the 6 month placement/internships whilst studying part time (i.e. just like a cadet).

I know my post sounds very anti BAcc but that's not the point- I am just a bit surprised by how effective the BAcc marketing has been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)