CADETSHIPS 2012 Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cazzl26

HSC
hi

I was just wondering what the big 4 are looking for when it comes to writing my application
Questions such as when is a time I've __________really throws me off as I have no idea what to write
Also, when asking for work experience or extra curriculum activities, can doing things as hobbies but taking lessons (e.g. tennis lessons, piano lessons) count?

thanks so much :)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
hi

I was just wondering what the big 4 are looking for when it comes to writing my application
Questions such as when is a time I've __________really throws me off as I have no idea what to write
Also, when asking for work experience or extra curriculum activities, can doing things as hobbies but taking lessons (e.g. tennis lessons, piano lessons) count?

thanks so much :)
Try to think of examples whether in your schoolwork (e.g. group assignments), charity work, extra curricular, etc. These questions are designed to flush out to see whether you've experienced much and how you handled it.

And the things you mentioned would fall under extra curricular. Work experience implies that it's some form of work (unless you were the one giving lessons).

DR11

HSC
N/A
Hi guys,

Sorry in advance for the long post but after reading through this thread (and the many other threads on cadetships), I still have a few general questions to ask:

- What can I expect from the Cadetship Evening on Wednesday? How is it set out? Do the companies each have separate booths or something along those lines, or do you just roam around talking to people?
- Would someone be able to enlighten me on how the big firms differ in terms of the cadetship experience? I know KPMG puts you in Audit, EY lets you choose from Tax/Advisory/Assurance - what about PwC and UBS? From cadet experiences, what is working in these divisions like? (I have a friend in Audit and they've let me know about their cadetship, and I know what the other business units do, but I was particularly wondering about the general day-to-day operations).
- If I'm called in to the assessment/interview stage, I'm not too worried about the actual face-to-face interview, but I see that there are written tests as well as group activities. Would someone be able to let me know what they had to do as part of these tasks?

EDIT: I'm very interested in PwC's traineeship particularly, and I was wondering if someone could provide me with insight into these few questions:

- What can I expect from the Trainee Insight Session, and what dress code is recommended (like I said before, I was thinking smart casual of dress shirt/indigo jeans/Converses)?
- What kind of things do they ask during the telephone interview?
- Would you happen to know how many cadets they take every year, and in which business units?

Thank you in advance :)

Last edited:

manscux

HSC
Hey guys look really excited to meet everybody at the cadetship night on wednesday.... Lets see how many people can identify others form thsi forum or from bored of studeis

p.S MY ACTUAL NAME IS MANPREET..... I am easy to approach..... just introduce and i reckon we will all have a good time

P.s.s ill probably be around teh co op area for UNSW.. not really interested in teh cadetships

C you their....

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi guys,

Sorry in advance for the long post but after reading through this thread (and the many other threads on cadetships), I still have a few general questions to ask:

- What can I expect from the Cadetship Evening on Wednesday? How is it set out? Do the companies each have separate booths or something along those lines, or do you just roam around talking to people?
Basically it's like a careers fair where each employer or organisation has a booth or stand set up with both hr and employees to answer any questions you have on the program and what is on offer. There's usually some kind of free food or drinks (not enough for a meal) and each organisation will probably give you a brochure or details outlining where to go if you want too appy or have more questions.

There are also presentations from previous cadets who will tell you about their experiences and this is to break the crowd up it two groups as not t swarm and overcrowd the representatives.

- Would someone be able to enlighten me on how the big firms differ in terms of the cadetship experience? I know KPMG puts you in Audit, EY lets you choose from Tax/Advisory/Assurance - what about PwC and UBS? From cadet experiences, what is working in these divisions like? (I have a friend in Audit and they've let me know about their cadetship, and I know what the other business units do, but I was particularly wondering about the general day-to-day operations).
As far as I know most firms give you a choice of line of service whether it be assurance (audit), tax or other (eg business services or private companies/middle market advisory). Just keep in mind that cadets aren't usually involved in an operations style role (that's more likely to be the UBS business cadets- refer to that thread for info).

Cadetship experience is hard to describe- might be best to save that question for when you meet people on Wednesday. I am not sure if I wil be there but if I am you will know it's me because I'm probably the only cadet they sent to the NY office over the past few months.

- If I'm called in to the assessment/interview stage, I'm not too worried about the actual face-to-face interview, but I see that there are written tests as well as group activities. Would someone be able to let me know what they had to do as part of these tasks?
These are likely to just see how ready you are for working in the relevant firm's environment eg how well are you able to articulate your thoughts in short time for a formal or professional email, and how well do you work in groups with people you don't know to achieve an outcome.

Ps longest post ever from my iPad.

DR11

HSC
N/A
Ps longest post ever from my iPad.
Thanks heaps seremify, I really appreciate it. Answered quite a lot of what I was wondering :)

If you have any time over the next few days it'd be great if you could answer my PwC questions haha, but I guess I'll find out about some of those things on Wednesday!

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
EDIT: I'm very interested in PwC's traineeship particularly, and I was wondering if someone could provide me with insight into these few questions:

- What can I expect from the Trainee Insight Session, and what dress code is recommended (like I said before, I was thinking smart casual of dress shirt/indigo jeans/Converses)?
Dress code for these cadetship info events isn't too strict but a good indicator is both where it is being held (eg external venue, or at the office), who is invited (eg parents and teachers too?) and at what stage you're at (eg pre applications, pre interview, post offer). Doesn't hurt to ask when you are invited. If you want to play it safe, just wear work clothes like a suit or tidy shirt and work trousers. School uniforms also work but make sure you dress in a presentable manner- its hard for me to take someone serusly if they have their shirt out, are wearing sneakers and have an iPod earphone in one ear. Also it might be worthwhile considering who you go with because it can sometimes be awkward to be having a proper discussion with an employee or HR only to be interrupted by a mate who fits my previous description and stops the discussion with a fully sick greeting and matching bro handshake/hug. I'm not saying be uptight but rather keep in mind this is a professional services industry where image is everything.

To be more specific though in answering your question, the ICAA evening is pretty laid back and most people are in school gear with their parents or friends. Doesn't hurt to leave a good impression and be on good behaviour. I wore a suit back in the day to the evening. Hard to say if it helped buit I'm sure it didn't.

The firm specific events are different and usually encourage smart casual (doesn't hurt to ask when you are called up or invited). I personally would err on the conservative side seeing that it is a stage in recruitment but if you have to wear school uniform just keep it tidy and professional eg wear a blazer and tie. Some people would say its overboard but it won't do you any harm. Besides recruiters are constantly trying to picture how you would look and act at work so if you dress the part that's half the job already done. Goes without saying to think about both your haircut, shoes and anything you might be carrying. If you have a folder for school try to ask someone if you can leave it in the corner of the room or something or failing that ask a friend to hold onto it.

- What kind of things do they ask during the telephone interview?
- Would you happen to know how many cadets they take every year, and in which business units?

Thank you in advance
Telephone interview isn't too challenging. Look online if you really must know but the questions are usually related to your application, why you want it, why the specific firm and what makes you suitable.

Numbers always change and I doubt you'll get an answer from anyone as even the staff don't know. Given everything that has happened in the industry and wider economy, past years numbers are probably not the best estimate of current or future years intakes.

Hope this helps. Again another lengthy post on the iPad lol.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys look really excited to meet everybody at the cadetship night on wednesday.... Lets see how many people can identify others form thsi forum or from bored of studeis

p.S MY ACTUAL NAME IS MANPREET..... I am easy to approach..... just introduce and i reckon we will all have a good time

P.s.s ill probably be around teh co op area for UNSW.. not really interested in teh cadetships

C you their....
LOL I think the guys repping coop (and any other organisation/employer/firm) will be flat out so you may need to introduce yourself to them. There's a few cadets and coops on BoS- every year they get found out by a few!

BiancaC

HSC
LOL I think the guys repping coop (and any other organisation/employer/firm) will be flat out so you may need to introduce yourself to them. There's a few cadets and coops on BoS- every year they get found out by a few!
^This. The place is absolutely packed, especially around the big 4 (well the three who are actually there).

manscux

HSC
LOL..... Guys i am not representing co op.. infact i am a student going to the night . I meant i am interested in the co op schoalrships and i will be their around co op. So if anybody else is interested in co op i would really like to meet them

What a misunderstanding

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
LOL..... Guys i am not representing co op.. infact i am a student going to the night . I meant i am interested in the co op schoalrships and i will be their around co op. So if anybody else is interested in co op i would really like to meet them

What a misunderstanding
I think we figured that out by your previous post... what we were saying is that more likely than not it is you who will have to approach the reps if you want to start a conversation because they will be flat out talking to people.

HSC
Schedule so far, is this too much for a year 11 student lol

Tomorrow: ICAA cadetship evening
Day after tomorrow: PWC Trainee Insight Session
7th June: KMPG cadetship information evening
21st June: Capital W Annual Dinner
22nd August: ICAA Meet the Business Leaders

Can't wait :)

BiancaC

HSC
Schedule so far, is this too much for a year 11 student lol

Tomorrow: ICAA cadetship evening
Day after tomorrow: PWC Trainee Insight Session
7th June: KMPG cadetship information evening
21st June: Capital W Annual Dinner
22nd August: ICAA Meet the Business Leaders

Can't wait :)
I can't speak for the Capital W Annual Dinner but to be honest, I don't know how much benefit you will get out of the PwC one or the KPMG one. The Meet the Business Leaders is definitely beneficial for a Year 11 student so go to that one.

But the rest are heavily targeted towards Year 12 students. It might be worth going down to the ICAA evening tonight and talking to some of the firms and stuff but the PwC and KPMG evenings are more how to apply and are just a further extension of the info given tonight and again is for Year 12 students. Go if you really want to those two events but they aren't a must because you might find them a waste of time (particularly if you plan to go next year when it actually is heavily relevant to you).

All in all, keep in mind that these events are run every single year and whilst it may help you slightly this year, you get most benefit by going in the year you're eligible to apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)