Cadetships 2013 thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinks

HSC
hi, what do firms look for, especially in cases where people apply in their first year of their degree?
and do they look down on uws?
In general any accounting firm is going to be looking for similar traits with any applicant. Firstly I think it's important to have a solid average/grade as this is going to be considered foremost. Once you've got this it comes down to other aspects such as leadership roles, extra-carriculars, interest in accounting and previous experience/any job experience.

I'm not sure if they would look down on UWS (I'm from Melbourne so have no clue) but in my experience accounting firms seem to have a varriery of cadets from different universities. In saying that prestige always plays a small part but I have no clue about UWS in particular, maybe a NSW member could offer more specific advice.

Jinks

HSC
Is it normal to already start getting a bit anxious over getting a cadetship, mainly Big 4 as i'm sure a mid tier firm would be easier to get into to?
Relax! Applications are still a while away and you're doing the right thing by getting in early and finding out as much information as possible!

Focus on school (when it starts) because that's still vitally important. Your safest option would be to apply widely to all mid-tier firms and the Big 4's, there is no point in limiting your opportunity if your heart is set on accounting and a cadetship. If you are really worried and want to be that little bit more prepared get together a list of interview questions and application questions and dot point out some responses that you can elaborate on closer to applications.

For all my interviews and applications there wasn't a question I hadn't at least dotted down some points for a response for so there was no surprise.

You'll be fine :)

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
Hello :)
I used to lurk these threads with my old BoS account, but I still like to keep an eye on these Cadetship/Accounting ones :p

Not sure if anybody remembers me, but anyhow...

I accepted a cadetship last year with a mid-tier firm. My resume wasn't impressive (no work experience & little extra curricular unless you include the weekend sports I did). Where they were interested was my grades. I consistently did well at school, and that impressed when I went to interviews and applied for jobs. My actual HSC marks and ATAR were nowhere near where I wanted, but nobody seemed to mind.

I had an interview with 3 upper mid tier firms (I did not apply for any big 4, so I can't help with those sorry) and accepted a position in one (in insolvency). The offer was conditional on being offered a place at any university where i could do part time studies. This generally means no USYD, and anywhere that offers night courses. (I think Moore Stephens specifically lists UNSW, UTS, MACQ or UWS as universitys you can choose from). I was very upfront and said I would be attending UWS and none were discouraged by this.

I ended up leaving this job after 6 months. Though it was a very good job, personal circumstances meant I could not handle it to the best of my abilities :(

A month or so after leaving, I applied for other cadet/trainee positions. These were all at smaller firms closer to where I live, but none the less, are technically cadetship positions. I'm now working in a lovely small firm and I love my job. Again, the fact my HSC results weren't amazing didn't matter to them (and barely passing a subject in my first semester at uni didn't seem to bother them either)

If you want a cadetship, my advice would to be confident. Cadetships are invaluable experience for later in life. You realise very quickly if accounting is right for you, and still being in the early stages of uni, it isn't to late to change.

I hope everything works out well for you all. I've been through all the ups and downs associated with cadetships, so hopefully sharing some of my experiences will encourage you to follow your hearts :)

Examine

same
HSC
What is an approximate ratio of people applying for the big 4 firms to people who receive a cadetship from said firms?

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
What is an approximate ratio of people applying for the big 4 firms to people who receive a cadetship from said firms?
I don't think anyone knows for sure (not even me)- but either way I wouldn't try to second guess your chances. It'll only make things more confusing!

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
How long do face to face interviews go for?
Obviously will vary from firm to firm, who you're interviewing with, what stage (some firms have multiple levels of interviews), the schedule on the day, etc... but in my experience, it would range between half an hour to an hour. Typically I'd say longer is better than shorter because (in most cases) it shows the interviewer thinks you have potential and is hence willing to invest their time in getting to know you.

oompaman

HSC
N/A
Hi,
Still pretty clueless about these things.

Do you need to apply for specific courses to be considered for cadetships and are you limited in the amount of cadetships you can apply for?

BTW im doing my HSC this year, generally what ATAR would you need to be considered or have a good chance for the big 4?

Thanks

Jinks

HSC
How long do face to face interviews go for?
Don't feel intimidated by the interviews, they were pretty casual. For one of mine we talked about football and general things for 20 minutes then in the last 10 minutes he said he better ask some questions off the sheet haha! But as Seremify said the total time is varied, and longer the better!

Jinks

HSC
Hi,
Still pretty clueless about these things.

Do you need to apply for specific courses to be considered for cadetships and are you limited in the amount of cadetships you can apply for?

BTW im doing my HSC this year, generally what ATAR would you need to be considered or have a good chance for the big 4?

Thanks
Generally (from what I know) most cadetships are obtained whilst your studying in your final year of high school, which you are right now. This means that the accounting firms have no clue what your results will be like meaning its hard to put a particular score to a cadetship. In terms of university some firms have particular universities you must attend, whilst others simply state any university that offers part-time study as well as a CA certified course.

You can apply for as many cadetships as you want, so i suggest if it's what you really want to do then apply for every job you can find as any experience is invaluable.

oompaman

HSC
N/A
so is it like co-op where you get a conditional offer? Can do any CA certified course? Are there benefits from doing certain courses?

Jinks

HSC
so is it like co-op where you get a conditional offer? Can do any CA certified course? Are there benefits from doing certain courses?
Each firm is different so its hard to say if the offer is conditional as some firms will specify universities and if you obtained a score bellow the lowest course out of the specified universities the offer may be revoked. In saying that firms select people they think will be academically able to balance study/work so getting into one of their preferred universities shouldn't be a problem.

As for any CA certified course it once again depends on the firms requirements and if they have preferred universities. The only benefit of one course over another may be things like prestige/ability to do a second major/distance from home etc.

In the end if you perform well during your cadetship you will almost certainly receive a graduate offer no matter what university you went to whilst completing it.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Each firm is different so its hard to say if the offer is conditional as some firms will specify universities and if you obtained a score bellow the lowest course out of the specified universities the offer may be revoked. In saying that firms select people they think will be academically able to balance study/work so getting into one of their preferred universities shouldn't be a problem.
Ultimately though, the only real condition is that you are accepted into a university which enables you to a) study part time whilst working (i.e. flexible timetables and part time) and b) meets eligibility requirements for enrolling in the CA program when you graduate. Some firms specify or prefer certain unis because of other factors though and if you don't get in, then you won't be able to fulfill the terms of the cadetship contract which you would have already accepted by the time results come out.

oompaman

HSC
N/A
Ultimately though, the only real condition is that you are accepted into a university which enables you to a) study part time whilst working (i.e. flexible timetables and part time) and b) meets eligibility requirements for enrolling in the CA program when you graduate. Some firms specify or prefer certain unis because of other factors though and if you don't get in, then you won't be able to fulfill the terms of the cadetship contract which you would have already accepted by the time results come out.
Hi,

If you get into another course that is a higher preference and so don't have an offer for the designated course can you decline? Or just decline cause you changed your mind etc.
Also, what do accountants in large firms do? i heard that they do different things from people out of tafe etc or people in smaller firms

btw, i go to bhhs ;)

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi,

If you get into another course that is a higher preference and so don't have an offer for the designated course can you decline? Or just decline cause you changed your mind etc.
Also, what do accountants in large firms do? i heard that they do different things from people out of tafe etc or people in smaller firms

btw, i go to bhhs ;)
I'm not sure I quite understand your question (remember: a cadetship is simply a job which gives you additional leave entitlements/support so you can complete your studies at university; there's no real linkage between the degree/uni and the firm) but basically I think you're asking if you can cancel on an accounting cadetship- e.g. you got an accounting cadetship, ended up getting accepted into Comm/Law, therefore can you decline/drop out of the cadetship program? The answer is yes.

And professional accounting (i.e. you are qualified as an accountant with a CA or CPA background) is very different to TAFE accounting or book keeping. I'll let one of the others on here answer this one.

koolkid59

HSC
Im already going to do a full time course....Bachelor of Business Bachelor of Science in Information Technology @ UTS this year...... beacause its full time...is there any point of thinking about doing a cadetship????

crazy_paki123

HSC
shouldmi bother applying for cadetships now? I am going to do B Comm major in Accounting full time. So illmprobs be at uni 2-3 days a week

Jinks

HSC
shouldmi bother applying for cadetships now? I am going to do B Comm major in Accounting full time. So illmprobs be at uni 2-3 days a week
Assuming you're in your first year of university it would still be worth applying as in general most accounting firms these days have full time university in the first year, meaning second year you study part time whilst working full time, fitting in perfectly with where you are at in your degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)