Cadetships 2017 (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't know why but Hall Chadwick seem to be open all year round?
Hall Chadwick recruits all year round, though most of their cadets are through a more formal recruitment process.

My position there was created because of an internal vacancy. In my team there were two junior accountants, and one decided to move to another firm. There was room for another junior in the team, so they looked for somebody who had just finished school or had just finished their first year at university. Timing worked out that I started on the same date as the other cadets in January.

Just a note for all of you, most of the mid tier and smaller firms that hire students, will recruit year round if a space opens up because somebody left, was promoted or there is need. That's how I came across all the jobs I was offered in accounting. Smaller firms have smaller needs for staff, so they only recruit when they have to.

Don't be disheartened if you don't get into a formal cadetship program. There's plenty of entry level opportunities (i.e. Permanent part time) out there where you can gain experience while you study. It also makes it a hell of a lot easier to stand out if you do decide to apply for internships/graduate roles in big companies later.

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
Also just to contradict everything I just said, I have a 6 hour assessment centre/interview coming up. Do everything in your power to get a good job earlier because graduate applications are the worst things I have ever encountered.

Just filling out the applications and then the really idiotic testing and the interview process. My god do I wish insolvency and I had worked out so I could have been done with this horror years ago :spzz:

si2136

HSC
N/A
Just a theoretical question, what happens when you accidentally make a typo in your email address?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Just a theoretical question, what happens when you accidentally make a typo in your email address?
Then you won't get a reply-that's one of the very critical things you should get right in any job applications..

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
You don't get the emails.

Source: Me. I did this for an internship application and wondered why I never heard back. Once I figured out the email was wrong later, I managed to log into there site and saw I'd missed the testing invitation.

You should be able to update your email if they've got a site. If it's on your resume I'd be creating that email if possible and rolling with it.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Also just to contradict everything I just said, I have a 6 hour assessment centre/interview coming up. Do everything in your power to get a good job earlier because graduate applications are the worst things I have ever encountered.

Just filling out the applications and then the really idiotic testing and the interview process. My god do I wish insolvency and I had worked out so I could have been done with this horror years ago :spzz:
What do you mean by graduate applications are worst things you have encountered?

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
What do you mean by graduate applications are worst things you have encountered?
Well there are many reasons.

Many you manually type out everything (IE. Transcripts, resume). Hours and hours of repetitive applications, so you've got to keep track of everything. Most also will send you an email for creating a HR account, an email for commencing an application and another when you submit.

Most, if not all, will give you several of those online tests to do. Even 10 companies sending you testing that take an hour each is obviously, more of your time. You also can't get results for many, and some companies will send results to other companies you apply for within a year of taking the test (So if you get nervous and do bad, you can't really redeem yourself). Most have moved into "game" style tests, and almost all give you more questions than you can answer in the given time!

Video interviews are the spawn of Satan.

Assesment centres. If you get to this stage, your often given one date and time (probably one that clashes with class or work). I've also noticed many companies never have enough time slots or their booking system doesn't work properly which is fun. Many are also last minute invitations, so be prepared to drop everything!

Some application processes open in February/March and drag out until August. So it's a long process of uncertainty.

And last but not least, as with all job applications, if you actually hear back in a reasonable time frame, your doing well. I've seen plenty of people get rejected or never hear back for no apparent reason. It's nothing personal, but there's just that many applicants your up against.

As you can see, I'm really cynical and over all this right now :lol:

crazy_paki123

HSC
good luck to all the aspiring cadets. Apps open up soon right? Wish I knew about the cadet programs back in yr 12 lol. Good luck to you all :)

si2136

HSC
N/A
Turns out PWC's program is only for school leavers HSC 2016.

Looks like only one big4 is recruiting this year. EY.

crazy_paki123

HSC
doesnt Deloiite have the foundations program or something?

crazy_paki123

HSC
Ah ok. Weren't Pwc making a new program where high school leavers can join them without even having a degree? Read it recently on linkedin. And it's ok atleast u know wat u want. I didn't know and I'm sure many people don't know either that cadetships existed till like mid way 1st year of uni. So ur ahead In that regard and recourse u could land a cadetship with EY :p

crazy_paki123

HSC
On the contrary. Tax is one of the most emerging service lines and the tax laws are always changing so constant change which some people prefer. Tax also includes several branches like Corporate Tax where u consult clients on how to best minimise the tax liability they owe. Also it has other areas such as Indirect tax (GST) and Transfer Pricing. Far from doing just tax returns all day

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
Apparently tax is super boring, just tax returns all day
Do you really think any entry level accounting job for a person with no qualifications or experience will be anything but repetitive, almost administrative work?

Tax might be boring work at times, but it is a good stepping stone for more difficult/challenging work. You'll develop skills such as developing relationships with clients and co-workers, attention to detail and time management, and basic accounting skills.

Several years doing tax returns isn't super fun (this is coming from somebody who working in tax for 4 years), but every skill I learnt there has been fantastic in the eyes of all my prospective new employers. Cadetships aren't meant to be about starting your career at the top, they're about teaching you skills and training you not to be useless by the time you finish uni.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)