• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

calculating EMF's (1 Viewer)

tina_goes_doo

Pharmer in Training
HSC
Electrochemical cells are cool. It's the electrolytic cells that kill me! :)

Hey what name's better to use in the exam? Electrochemical or galvanic?

lum

HSC
yeah, my teacher told us she's only telling us it's also called electrochemical cells because we might need to know it for textbook questions, but for texts, galvanic is better, direct from sylabus.

but with the reversing sign of the smaller potential doesn't always work. i forgot what the question was, but in the answer, it was the negative of what i thought was the answer, would it be becuase it asked for the oxidation potential rather than the reduction potential?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Uh... Galvanic cells are electrochemical cells.... and so are electrolytic cells.

"electrochemical" - chemical process which produces electricity. :)

lum said:
but with the reversing sign of the smaller potential doesn't always work. i forgot what the question was, but in the answer, it was the negative of what i thought was the answer, would it be becuase it asked for the oxidation potential rather than the reduction potential?
If you are given a cell which doesn't even work in the first place, then that cell must necessarily have a negative EMF (or perhaps a 0 EMF)

It will work if you switch the LHS and the RHS, which effectively also switches the signs of your potentials (reduction becomes oxidation and vice versa), such that the absolute value of the EMF will be the same, but the total EMF is POSITIVE, with the cell actually working (displacement occurring).

If a question asks for oxidation potential, it will be the negative of what it is listed as being on the standard REDUCTION potentials table.

Oh, and I support speaking, writing and typing proper English.

Last edited:

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Slide Rule said:
Uh... Galvanic cells are electrochemical cells.... and so are electrolytic cells.

"electrochemical" - chemical process which produces electricity. :)
Wrong. Electrochemical is a process involving electrochemistry. Which is related to electricity being created or converted from chemical activity.

Electrolytic cells actually require electricity.

lum

HSC
Slide Rule said:
If you are given a cell which doesn't even work in the first place, then that cell must necessarily have a negative EMF (or perhaps a 0 EMF)

It will work if you switch the LHS and the RHS, which effectively also switches the signs of your potentials (reduction becomes oxidation and vice versa), such that the absolute value of the EMF will be the same, but the total EMF is POSITIVE, with the cell actually working (displacement occurring).

If a question asks for oxidation potential, it will be the negative of what it is listed as being on the standard REDUCTION potentials table.

Oh, and I support speaking, writing and typing proper English.
um, sorry, but if i switch the LHS and the RHS, how does that switch the signs of the potentials? the anode would still be the anode and cathode still cathode.

also, the EMF always has to be positive in a galvanic cell right?

jamesy_1988

HSC
just remember that the chart is the reduction potentails. so if you need the oxidation potentails you switch the sign around i.e. negative to positive.

Hope it helps

Jamesy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)