Camera's and Editing Software (1 Viewer)

taxman

make poverty
HSC
Hey, to all past video students...what video camera did you use and what software did you use when editing?

I'm thinking of doing a video for my MW, but I don't have a camera...what I do have though, is a low budget. I'm going to buy a digital video cam, and some editing software, but I'm at a loss to decide what exactly I should buy. I probably can't spend any more than $800 on a video camera, and I'm not sure about editing software.

All I really NEED with the equipment I get is decent picture quality that can be easily edited...and I need to be able to easily insert background music that carries over shot-by-shot.

The last film I made with a couple of my mates on an old analogue camera used the technique of pausing and playing the cd player in-between scenes...obviously I'm not going to put myself through this pain for my HSC MW :p

Any help will be extremely appreciated.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
I didn't do video, however, I have had a lot to with video students over the years.

Firstly, I would recommend Adobe Premiere for editing.

Also, think very carefully before buying a camera. If you are shooting a lot of night time stuff, it may be worth hiring a 3ccd camera for a weekend (Which will set you back about $150 - $200?) but will produce much better quality.

Also, don't underestimate your schools equipment as well. have a look and take what you can get. :)

veridis

droog
HSC
buying your own is a safer option than hiring. you often have to reshoot after/during editing and if you hire this could be a huge hassle. its easier just to ensure you have good lighting. if you get your own you can also practice a bit and get familliar with it.
adobe premier is good but expensive, depends if you want legaly obtained software or not. Pinnacle Studio 9 is also good and more reasonably priced, still if i didnt already have acess to ligit copies of both i dont think i'd bother buying them.
as for school equipment if your school has anything digital you're a lucky man indeed. my school has nothing at all and my two mates from other schools who are doing ee2 only have acess to analog stuff. but do ask around teachers or family friends to see if they have a camera you could scab. i know my ee2 teacher has a realy good camera and if i needed he'd let me use that.

Lou_86

pro procrastinator
HSC
i did ee2 this year...i used pinnacle v.9 for editing, which was alright, had a few problems with adding audio, but nothing too major that would turn me away from it altogether.
For my camera i used a canon 650i..which worked out fine for me

my advice would be to buy a tripod! The tripod for me was a great investment!

goodluck with it!!

taxman

make poverty
HSC
Hey Lou, thanks for that. How did the images come up with your camera and how much did it cost ya? I've been searching everywhere for cameras, but typically, salespeople are arseholes to talk to. "No, that's definitely not good enough...if you're going to make a film, buy this...it's only $2, 400...that's 0.004% off!"

Where any of your shots complicated? How did you go with casting and location scouting? If it's cool with you, is there any chance you could send me a copy of ur movie via mail or something C.O.D so I can pay for postage? I can't find a copy of the Showcase...and my school is trying to make me believe that there is no such thing as a showcase anyway. I just need to see a few video's made by EE2 students.

Cheers Lou,
Max

Lou_86

pro procrastinator
HSC
the images came up quite clear...the camera was about $1300 when i bought it..but i think you can buy the updated model for bout $900, I'm sure you can get away with buying one of the low versions of the canon 700 series and it still being good quality (these camera's cost mid to high $700's -- I THINK!)

There weren't many complicated shots in my video - i'm happy to send it to you, after i get the marks back!! If i go crap, i dont think i'd want to send it to anyone..hahaha..

there definitely is a showcase book -- thats a link to the site on the BOS site -->
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.a...studies.nsw.edu.au/isysquery/irl3f41/1/hilite

im happy to answer any more questions you have..u can post them here or pm me..

praise897

Alcoholic
HSC
get a cheap 3ccd, i think panasonic has one out that you can get for under a grand.

even vx1000's go for about 1300-1600 these days

lcf

man. nature. technology.
HSC
I used a Canon MV630i + Sony Digital 8 and edited on Final Cut Pro 4.5 HD.
All i can recommend is GET AN EXTERNAL MICROPHONE AND TRIPOD!!! Those mics in the cameras are ok - but external elimates camera noice (eg motor and grappling with zoom) - I bought a Giottos remote tripod system which allows you to control the cameras functions from the remote handle - no touching cammy

If you are made of money- get a 3CCD or even a SONY HDV system

DDRjunkie

HSC
Just a question: What do people think of iMovie for editing? Isit good? I used it for a movie in Drama for year 10, but nothing serious, so never bothered tweaking and that. SHould I get that or something else?

AntonTheswan

Emisary Of The Gorgonites
From the forest itself comes the handle for the ax
HSC
Imovie's greatest trait is its simplicity, not something you're looking for when creating a major work. It can be useful for a piece that requires minimal editing, but even then it is always obvious when a student has used Imovie. Finalcut Pro runs on most Macs and is in a totally different league. It may take some time to get used to, but you will notice the difference, and if you're looking to get into film making, you need to leave Imovie in the proverbial memory box.

BeardEh

HSC
did anyone else have trouble looking for location? and can someone give me an idea of how much an external mike is gona cost for a camera, I'm trying to pursuade the school that its a good investment... its not going well :headbang:

how far along are u otha '06 students? have you started filming yet... i haven't even got my script complete :S

cblok

HSC
Uni Grad
For external microphones don't go past the Rode Videomic. You should be able to pick it up for $150. Or else if your school is paying for it, anything by Rode or Sennheiser is good.

Anything under $200 that isn't the Rode Videomic is garbage. Period.

As for cameras: they are getting cheaper and cheaper by the minute. I would suggest getting a panasonic 3ccd one. Not JVC. Sony and canon are good but overpriced for what you get. You should be able to get a panasonic 3ccd for the same price as a canon / sony 1ccd.

Again, as I've said before. In the end it is an English piece and pretty pictures are not the main thing they're looking for. If you have a good story, brilliant. The marks are already there. If you have a cheapo digital camera, excellent. With some clever shot composition and proper lighting you can get some great pictures out of most consumer camcorders - 3ccds or 1.

Don't bother with HDV. Dvds are still standard definition so once you put your movie onto DVD, that extra image quality is lost - as is the money you spent on that overpriced HD camera.

Christiaan Blok

Extension 2 English Video Tutoring & Workshopping
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/writersblokproductions/Tutoring.htm
writers_blok_productions@hotmail.com

lcf

man. nature. technology.
HSC
I slightly disagree with the HD camera thing - if you have one, you will find you can shot much more detailed images, so when it is down converted to SD or even VHS, the fact the quality was there to begin with will result in a better look later on...

lcf

man. nature. technology.
HSC
the better quality the camera, the better the image/colours will be reproduced. of course you will notice a difference between HD on the computer versus VHS - but say you used an 800 buck DV camera vs HD camera both dubbed down to VHS, the HD VHS copy, so to speak, will look much better - ie better saturation and detail.

pungemo

HSC
Indeed. I don't really need to know, but I ask to provoke a bit of discussion for those that do. Do you, perhaps, have any suggestions in the way of software for video, audio and 3D editing?

lcf

man. nature. technology.
HSC
for 3D you can't go past Apple Shake or Adobe After Effects
but you'll need a powerful mac for that (and if you have a spare PC, pop Linux on it to act as a renderer)

BradCube

HSC
I am using the Adobe Production Studio and the camera I shot my footage on was the Panasonic DVX100a.

Last edited:

Breakthrough

Light the Way
HSC
I'm using Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 (I love Adobe Premiere, it gives control over EVERYTHING) and I'm using a Sony Handycam HDR-HC1.

But no amount of good equipment can save my crappy video =P.

Last edited:

babs123

HSC
Breakthrough said:
I'm using Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 (I love Adobe Premiere, it gives control over EVERYTHING) and I'm using a Sony Handycam HDR-HC1.

But no amount of good equipment can save my crappy video =P.
The HC1 is an amazing camera, I'm shooting a video for my major work too, using a Sony HDR-FX1 + Final Cut Studio 2. HD cameras are good because even though you lose the "resolution" to standard def DVDs the pixel fidelity and image replication is far superior to SD 3CCD cameras although if you're shooting HDV do what I did and get a 35mm lens adapter for better focus and visual control.

Hiring is also a good option if you KNOW what you want and you're prepared to live on the edge :p because those hiring places almost always backfire on you, i have never known my one to not screw me over so I got my FX1 5 months ago.

I'm shooting 3 films for my HSC in total (Vis Arts, Drama, Eng Ext 2) I've been doing it since I was 11 so we'll see what happens I guess...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)