Can a monic polynomial be negative? (1 Viewer)

wendus

krawr.
HSC
yeah monic means leading coefficient is 1
- 1 =/= 1

cHoke-meh

HSC
Wait, i'm getting confused now. When you say monic, does the coefficient of x have to be positive 1? or just +_ 1?

suzlee

HSC
cHoke-meh said:
Wait, i'm getting confused now. When you say monic, does the coefficient of x have to be positive 1? or just +_ 1?
According to kaz1, and I think he's right, as long as the leading term has a coefficient of either positive or negative 1, the poly is a monic.

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
*Scratches head and wonders which of the hundreds of year 9 and 10 maths lessons I slept through contained info about monic polynomials*

Why don't you google it.

ratcher0071

HSC
Well technically:
Can a monic polynomial be negative? Yes it can.
A monic polynomial has the leading coefficient of 1. If you put a negative sign in front you have made a monic polynomial, negative.

ubermale

HSC
ratcher0071 said:
Well technically:
Can a monic polynomial be negative? Yes it can.
A monic polynomial has the leading coefficient of 1. If you put a negative sign in front you have made a monic polynomial, negative.
True, you can make a monic polynomial negative, but once the leading coefficient is not 1 then it is no longer monic. Therefore, if a polynomial had a leading coefficient of -1, it would be considered non-monic.

Iruka

HSC
N/A
A monic polynomial has a leading coefficient of 1, not -1.

You may wonder why this is the case, but it is defined that way to make some of the theorems simpler.

For example, when you define the GCD (greatest common divisor) of 2 polynomials, you want to get a unique answer, so the GCD of two polys (as opposed to just a GCD of two polys) is defined as the monic polynomial of greatest degree that divides both the polynomials evenly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greatest_common_divisor_of_two_polynomials

If polynomials with a negative leading coefficient were allowed to be monic, then you still wouldn't have a unique GCD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)