Can anyone here from Maccas help me? (1 Viewer)

Fruitsalad

HSC
Hi there

Ok so I recently started working at Maccas, and already on my 2nd shift I was on front counter. Every thing is so fast-paced, and while I know I'll get used to it, I really need help with the register (I get so nervous/scared trying to find buttons, making drinks and getting it all under a specific few minutes)...

So, if anyone can give me a basic layout of the register buttons, and advice, I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks! ;)

~kiki

HSC
Fruitsalad said:
Hi there

Ok so I recently started working at Maccas, and already on my 2nd shift I was on front counter. Every thing is so fast-paced, and while I know I'll get used to it, I really need help with the register (I get so nervous/scared trying to find buttons, making drinks and getting it all under a specific few minutes)...

So, if anyone can give me a basic layout of the register buttons, and advice, I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks! ;)
hah hah-- sorry, this is kinda irrellevent because I don't work at macca's, but I've also just started a new job and the registers freak me out!!! worst of all, we aren't allowed to use the change function and have to add all the prices in your mind and then figure out the amount of change... IN YOUR MIND!! .. its a cafe, so theres hundreds of things on the menu... loads of different sizes... loads of different prices.... loads of different variations. I feel like a snail :p.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
~kiki said:
we aren't allowed to use the change function.
:confused: why, it makes life so much easier

it's not hard to give change without one though, you just start from what the price is and keep giving them change until you've matched what they gave you. e.g. the meal is $12.75 and they pay with a $20 note, you give them 25c to make $13 and then give $7 to make $20. etc.

but a computer means you have to be an utter tard to make a mistake, which is good. you can't go wrong. specially with adding stuff up, god i suck at that.

shona1990

HSC
~kiki said:
hah hah-- sorry, this is kinda irrellevent because I don't work at macca's, but I've also just started a new job and the registers freak me out!!! worst of all, we aren't allowed to use the change function and have to add all the prices in your mind and then figure out the amount of change... IN YOUR MIND!! .. its a cafe, so theres hundreds of things on the menu... loads of different sizes... loads of different prices.... loads of different variations. I feel like a snail :p.
WTF?!
Not allowed to? As in... it exists, but they don't let you?!
I'd be too scared of giving people too much change!

1harkina

HSC
I worked at maccas for 3 years u just have to give it time it is pretty scary at first but your managers should cut u some slack till u get used to it also try not be as nervous u will prob make more mistakes being nervous and its not the worst thing if u do something wrong
good luck try not to let it annoy you too much
p.s which maccas u at i worked at castle towers

Evilo

HSC
it will take time to get used to a POS system. Don't worry - take your time and relax. If someone gives you shit then slowly explain you're new to the system and learning etc (the time taken to say that will shut them up). People like to get you all "ancy" and "worked up" (it makes them feel better about themselves and their pathetic life), but that retail. Learn the system through practice - its the only way.

HSC
First and most important thing to remember is that everyone at the store, the people working next to you, the employee of the month, and all the managers, went through the same dilemmas as you do. Remember that every mistake you make has already been made a hundred times by people before you.

I worked at Maccas for a few months a while back, and when I started I was worried about remembering where everything was on the screen as well, but within 2-3 weeks it all felt natural, I could handle just about everything. Although I had the advantage of working very long hours, so if you're just working after school it might take a while longer to figure it out. I'll say it again, don't worry about it, before you know it everything will come to you naturally.

Fruitsalad

HSC
Thank you heaps for all your advice, to those who contributed to this thread of mine.

I guess just the idea of losing money for the business, making people annoyed, etc scared me. Hopefully I should learn it all soon.

(BTW, I work at a maccas in St George)

flappinghippo

HSC
I used to work at St Peters Maccas where everyone basically dicked the managers. So many people turned up late, took their own smoke breaks, stole food and the managers did nothing because they are always desperate for workers. I did seriously 10 no-shows in a row in a month (yes I had/have bad work ethic) and I still worked there for another 7 months. The place is full of imported brown Asians (Burmese, Indian, Sri Lankan et.) now, so they don't put up with people like me any more, but yeah, Maccas is hell.

mashimaro1987

HSC
yeah...basically u'll get used to usin' the registers, if u need any help, be free to ask anyone, they'll help u out...now as for the registers, i can give u some hints

basically the front page has all the burgers (that is meat products) which is highlighted in RED. now if the customer wants a meal then u press whatever size they are after say small....u would press the S button on the side and the burger they are after, then u've gotta remember to press the drink...which is S coke ---(assumin' they don't ask for another flavour), if they want some other flavours, then press the 'drink menu' and select the specific drink.
Now the customers can upsize their drinks but not down-size it...in some cases, u might have forgotten to press a drink, and when u total the order, there would be a pop up sayin' you're missin' a drink.

next we have the 'white meat product' menu on the front page...that includes nuggets, filet, chicken.....then u have the deli menu on the front page...now u've gotta ALWAYS remember to ask the customer whether they want white bread or multigrain roll with the deli choice....
Now, with general services...the order u should get the order would be drinks, dessert, fries and then burgers (if it is MADE-FOR-YOU system)....and u should always serve two customers at a time to speed up the services

Chris.

HSC
i always work at the back area. i think the back area is so much better.
im quitting in like 1 or 2 montsh anyway maccas is just desperate money for a uni student

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
I haven't worked at Maccas, but I have trained new people on register at my old job, so some advice-

- don't be afraid to ask questions. Much better to ask it than to make a mistake.
- Repeat orders back to customers, so you know you've gotten their order right.
- Be nice, so if you get something wrong the customer won't get angry. I think it does help if you mention that you're still learning, they should be more forgiving.
- you CAN do it. It takes time, but you will learn soon enough. Learn from your mistakes and you'll be fine.

zehurricane

Capitalism, Ho!
HSC
Dont worry bout about it. New job mean new training. Remember pratice made perfect. Just tell your customer your new and your not use to the counter and they will understand.

Use to work as a checkout chick in Batemans bay
Back area for batemans bay maccas and a waiter for my parent thai store ;p

P

pLuvia

zehurricane said:
Dont worry bout about it. New job mean new training. Remember pratice made perfect. Just tell your customer your new and your not use to the counter and they will understand.

Use to work as a checkout chick in Batemans bay
Back area for batemans bay maccas and a waiter for my parent thai store ;p
Honestly customers couldn't care less if you were new or not, they still treat you the same as an employee who has worked longer, if not make you feel intimidated

K

katie_tully

Attention McDonalds Employees,

Hi there. I am often a customer during short lunch breaks. I especially like your salads, the ones with crispy chicken. However recently I have noticed that you guys have been stuffing my order up. Repeatedly.

Please stop this.

Yours sincerely,
Tully.

K

katie_tully

chicky_pie said:
Some advice for those wanting to get a job at Maccas;

Maccas don't hire older people, they hire young, dumb and drop outs.

Why?

cheap labour.

:)
No way, you should see Parkes McDonalds. I swear the median age is 40 and they're more useless than the Year 8 kids

zehurricane

Capitalism, Ho!
HSC
chicky_pie said:
Some advice for those wanting to get a job at Maccas;

Maccas don't hire older people, they hire young, dumb and drop outs.

Why?

cheap labour.

:)

Asian la XD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)