Can anyone predict the answer to my half yearly question? (1 Viewer)

SophJI

HSC
The question said 2 plants were on the mangrove

one plant with salt tolerance ( can't remenebr properly..just some salt)

and one plant with thick waxy curticles

which would survive and produce better in a mangrove??

i wrote the plant with thick waxy cuticles am i wrong????

Lukybear

HSC
The question said 2 plants were on the mangrove

one plant with salt tolerance ( can't remenebr properly..just some salt)

and one plant with thick waxy curticles

which would survive and produce better in a mangrove??

i wrote the plant with thick waxy cuticles am i wrong????
it would depend on the specifics of the Q. Since i am not very up to date with my biology, i think mangroves are salt watered? If so then plant with salt tolerance should thrive.

samthebear

HSC
i would say the mangroves because mangroves have coping mechanisms such as salt exclusion (the roots can exclude up to 95% of salt in its surrounding environment) and salt secretion (it has salt glands on the underside of its leaves to secrete any salt that has made it past the roots).

The waxy/shiny leaves only allow for the plant to reflect light inorder to reduce the incidence of the plant heating up. This will then reduce the need to transpire to keep cool - waxy/shiny leaves are an adapatation to reduce water loss. it has little to do with salt tolerance.

EDIT: Sorry i didnt finish reading your question - the answer would be the salt tolerant one. but what i wrote about mangroves and waxy/shiny leaves is correct - remember that next time if a similiar question comes up. (esp about the mangrove trees)

Last edited:

GUSSSSSSSSSSSSS

HSC
well i dont really get the question

do u mean the plant is growing ON the mangrove tree
or growing IN a mangrove "infested" area

if it was growing in a mangrove area then definitely salt tolerant plant as mangroves grow in salty habitats

however if it was growing ON a mangrove tree and obtaining water from the mangrove plant, which filters out approx 90% (dunno actual statistic) of salt in the water, then i......would have no idea lol

fuzzy09

HSC
well thick waxy cuticles prevent water loss, and if the plant is in a mangrove, then there's no point caz they're water everywhere...

sorry dude but im pretty sure salt tolerance or whatever was the answer :S

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)