Can I make it?!?! Help please, particularly from current uni students!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Lemonlime

HSC
I got an ATAR of 69.35 and the course I want to study is B Arts with B Edu (Primary) at Macquarie Univeristy with cut-off 75.25. Should I still try? My backup is my early offer from UWS.

Dylanamali

HSC
Accept the early offer from UWS, then change your preferences to make Macq your first preference for the main round - that way you can attempt to get both offers. Your 6 points below - so it's rather unlikely, but I'd give it a shot anyway - you never know.

Lemonlime

HSC
Accept the early offer from UWS, then change your preferences to make Macq your first preference for the main round - that way you can attempt to get both offers. Your 6 points below - so it's rather unlikely, but I'd give it a shot anyway - you never know.
Thanks, that's really helpful advice! If I don't make it, would it be worth doing alternative pathways? Or just do teaching at UWS instead?

I was also told that once you accept an offer, your other preferences are automatically not considered anymore. In that case, wouldnt I be unable to attempt to get both offers?

Dylanamali

HSC
Thanks, that's really helpful advice! If I don't make it, would it be worth doing alternative pathways? Or just do teaching at UWS instead?

I was also told that once you accept an offer, your other preferences are automatically not considered anymore. In that case, wouldnt I be unable to attempt to get both offers?
I can't really answer your first question as I'm not too educated upon teaching degrees and the alternative pathways involved.

Regarding your second question you can actually accept both offers. You said that you received an early offer from UWS?
If this is so, accept it.
Essentially, you are able to get an offer within each of the rounds.
There's an early round, a main round, a late round and a final round. So theoretically you can get 4 different offers as long as you continue to change your preferences between receiving each offer.

Lemonlime

HSC
I can't really answer your first question as I'm not too educated upon teaching degrees and the alternative pathways involved.

Regarding your second question you can actually accept both offers. You said that you received an early offer from UWS?
If this is so, accept it.
Essentially, you are able to get an offer within each of the rounds.
There's an early round, a main round, a late round and a final round. So theoretically you can get 4 different offers as long as you continue to change your preferences between receiving each offer.
Ohhhhh that makes more sense now. I've changed my first pref to the Macq degree :) Thank you so much!

uac.aplcnt

HSC
Hi Lemon,

I see that your a 2012 HSC student/ current school leaver and that this posts looks like its recent.

Yes, you can receive MORE than 1 offer in a UAC application. Just like the other person replied to you - If you change preferences between offer rounds, you CAN (if Eligible) get more than 1 offer.

Also, I would say yes to putting arts/teaching as your preference if Macquarie is your desired degree. as a leading edge tip - you can also check the majors available within each degree @ MQ uni and see if "primary/secondary education or teaching" is available as a major...because sometimes a general B Arts degree allows you to become a teacher if it has a education major etc..so do your detailed research in the UAC guide.

The reason why I say you should put it as a preference ontop is because MQ uni offers bonus points (I read/heard at open day) to CURRENT school leavers (like you if you graduated recently last year ONLY) ...you can get about 5 bonus points or something (not sure the exact number, check on their website) to your ATAR...so if you got 69.5..you can get +5...so 74.5 (As an e.g.)..therefore you might receive an offer. ALSO another reason why you should put it as preference is because ATAR's CHANGE BETWEEN OFFER ROUNDS...ATARS/UAI's Increase/ decrease between them...so keep it until the final round...you might get it if you pull it all to the end as a preference..

good luck...I know how you feel lol

Lemonlime

HSC
Hi Lemon,

I see that your a 2012 HSC student/ current school leaver and that this posts looks like its recent.

Yes, you can receive MORE than 1 offer in a UAC application. Just like the other person replied to you - If you change preferences between offer rounds, you CAN (if Eligible) get more than 1 offer.

Also, I would say yes to putting arts/teaching as your preference if Macquarie is your desired degree. as a leading edge tip - you can also check the majors available within each degree @ MQ uni and see if "primary/secondary education or teaching" is available as a major...because sometimes a general B Arts degree allows you to become a teacher if it has a education major etc..so do your detailed research in the UAC guide.

The reason why I say you should put it as a preference ontop is because MQ uni offers bonus points (I read/heard at open day) to CURRENT school leavers (like you if you graduated recently last year ONLY) ...you can get about 5 bonus points or something (not sure the exact number, check on their website) to your ATAR...so if you got 69.5..you can get +5...so 74.5 (As an e.g.)..therefore you might receive an offer. ALSO another reason why you should put it as preference is because ATAR's CHANGE BETWEEN OFFER ROUNDS...ATARS/UAI's Increase/ decrease between them...so keep it until the final round...you might get it if you pull it all to the end as a preference..

good luck...I know how you feel lol
Yeah, I followed the advice and accepted my early offer. So now Macq is in first preference!

As a safety net, should I put B Arts (doesnt grant teaching qualification, but if I major in Edu maybe I can transfer into the primary course after finishing the B Arts?) into second preference in the event that I don't receive the first preference (75.25 cut-off degree), rather than the B Edu(Early Childhood)(75.25 ATAR) which teaches primary as well? Or should I put Early Childhood second, if I really want it? Rather than
prioritising my preferences based on my likelihood of going to Macq than focusing on the courses I want to study more?

I read about the bonus points too, but unfortunately, the eligibility to receive them starts at minimum ATARs of 72.55. So I've missed out on that, but I'm still hoping! Thanks for the advice :)

uac.aplcnt

HSC
Hi..

Oh yeah..minimum UAI of 70..thats right.. im use to UAI still.. your UAI would be about 69.5..thats very close to the eligibility for bonus points..maybe you can submit a Educational access scheme form for a few codes and you might get more scores just to pass 70? lol..It probably is possible..catholic school students do that I heard just to get into high demand courses like law...i know they are slack

Kat92

HSC
Yeah, I followed the advice and accepted my early offer. So now Macq is in first preference!

As a safety net, should I put B Arts (doesnt grant teaching qualification, but if I major in Edu maybe I can transfer into the primary course after finishing the B Arts?) into second preference in the event that I don't receive the first preference (75.25 cut-off degree), rather than the B Edu(Early Childhood)(75.25 ATAR) which teaches primary as well? Or should I put Early Childhood second, if I really want it? Rather than
prioritising my preferences based on my likelihood of going to Macq than focusing on the courses I want to study more?

I read about the bonus points too, but unfortunately, the eligibility to receive them starts at minimum ATARs of 72.55. So I've missed out on that, but I'm still hoping! Thanks for the advice :)

Hi Lemon,

You have multiple options:

1) Put the BA/Primary Teaching 1st

2) Place the generalised BA 2nd as you will be given credit for some modules into the teaching degree.

3) Look at a Foundation program run by the uni -- don't know if Macquarie does it but perhaps look into it.

4) Complete a cert 4 or higher at TAFE to increase your ATAR.-- most courses go for 6 months and some unis accept these as credit for various modules.

5) You could put the Early childhood degree up there in your preferences as well: depending upon your GPA you could transfer programs after the first semester (I think a credit average is required).--Although having the BA up there is probably better and would save time in the long run. (depends on how quickly you wish to be out there and teaching).

Ultimately, send the uni you are interested in an e-mail and discuss your options with them. Most unis are happy to help prospective students out.

blieu

HSC
You should've checked your UAC account/summary and there should be documents on the site which you download to see if particular unis say you are eligible for EAS ie. bonus points. You can be close to the 72.55 cut off and still receive bonus points.

uac.aplcnt

HSC
completing a cert 4/ diploma takes 6 months?! WTH...no it does'nt..cert 4/diplomas take 3-4 years to complete does'nt it?!? LOL srsly

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
This is solid advice.

RookieLaw

Audit.
HSC
completing a cert 4/ diploma takes 6 months?! WTH...no it does'nt..cert 4/diplomas take 3-4 years to complete does'nt it?!? LOL srsly
This guy.. it's 6 months for a cert 4 and for a diploma it all varies from course to course.

Kat92

HSC
yeah..but he said MOST courses are that long..they aren't
It is certainly 6 months. As rookielaw has mentioned it varies depending upon campus, content and whether you are doing it full or part time.

jarrodoliver1

HSC
For information technology, the cert 3 would take 6 months, followed by a year of cert 4 and then another 6 months for the diploma.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)