• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Catholic Trials f*ck up (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

major booboo

HSC
there we go then. must only be selective schools that only do advanced.
we are all fucked then :p even standard people.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
major booboo said:
no, many public schools have a mix of advanced and standard students. However, you must remember that since Paper 1 is done by both groups it won't make any difference which one you do anyway

taco man

don't know don't care
HSC
ydnas said:
Ive personally typed up an email to the principal of the school congratulating him and his staff on a job well done... i urge you all to do the same
I think i mite do just that

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
withoutaface said:
They did this last year as well. Shame I didn't find out the trials were the same until after I sat my own
did it really? I don't remember hearing about that...then again, my school didn't use the CSSA paper so it wouldn't have influenced us anyway.

What really gets to me is that most likely nothing will happen to the person responsible - just an offical 'reprimand' that in essence means nothing.

don't be so quick to blame the english department and the principle --> generally speaking it is the Head of Administration that designs exam timetables. Faculties only order papers and it has nothing to do with the principle. These are just the people that the public first looks to blame. Also, withoutaface is right, to blame the students is ridiculous, 9/10 students would prepare answers if they knew the question and of course theytalked about it afterwards - doesn't everyone? how were they to know that the school had violated the security period?

imhere4themusic

flied lice
HSC
Deus said:
Blame Cheltenham Girls staff, but not the girls.

It was the staff's error, the girls had no choice to sit the exam when the school set it.
And of course the girls would talk about the exam after they did it. We all do.

Some heads should be rolling in the upper levels of cheltenham girls high.
I didn't blame the girls.

summernguyen

HSC
major booboo said:
no, i go to hurlstone ag high, we're selective and we have standard english, general maths and senior science.

but that's pretty awful having to re-do the trials, especially after doing it once already.

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
shortygb said:
WHAT! everyone who did the CSSA Trials have to do it again? bloddy hell! where is Cheltenham Girls located?
I've said it before and I'll say it again...it will not be every school in the state that has to re-do the leaked papers. Our school, in the east, hasn't heard a thing about the breach, nor had any of our students prior to the English exam.

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
major booboo said:
nup,
you'll see every school will get done i bet.
If that is the case, which I doubt, it would be most unfair. We knew NOTHING about any of the leaked papers; heck, I didn't even know this Cheltenwhatever school existed.

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Typical bloody Catholics. Something always goes wrong.

Schools really should just stop being lazy and write their own damn papers.

imhere4themusic

flied lice
HSC
c_james said:
If that is the case, which I doubt, it would be most unfair. We knew NOTHING about any of the leaked papers; heck, I didn't even know this Cheltenwhatever school existed.
That's not the point, the point I was trying to make is that an incident like this just can't be contained to one area, I mean look what we're doing now!? You people could be in Grafton or Byron but we are communicating, so therefore the whole state of whoever did the catholics is POTENTIALLY contaminated, and that's what the schools have to go on. My teacher, who is in the thick of it (Cheltenham is my sister school) said the decision for resitting papers or alternate assessments came from The Board. Well he didn't but he implied that it was powers higher and out of control of my school principals. Sounds stupid but maybe they should even try to figure out a way to standardise trials, but then again it defeats the whole purpose of being an in school assessment. Oh well, I guess you can't standardise anything. The point is though, that the schools around me shouldn't just be forced to resit this.

I know some don't care much for teachers but my teachers now have to sit up, devise new exams and then mark THEM as well. All in all, the staff who scheduled the exams and any staff who viewed the papers are partly to blame at Cheltenham. It's their responsibilty to educate fairly and evenly. It is a public school for godsakes.

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Gavrillo said:
Typical bloody Catholics. Something always goes wrong.

Schools really should just stop being lazy and write their own damn papers.
how is this a "Catholic" issue? The (public) school messed up by not following the CSSA timetable....

*is slightly confused by this comment *

edit..forgot the "up"

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
imhere4themusic said:
I didn't blame the girls.
I never said you did. I'm saying not to blame the girls as a preemptive measure, as some people will inevitabilly blame them. Ive seen some cheltenham girls have a few remarks thrown at them on the train.....

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
imhere4themusic said:
That's not the point, the point I was trying to make is that an incident like this just can't be contained to one area, I mean look what we're doing now!? You people could be in Grafton or Byron but we are communicating, so therefore the whole state of whoever did the catholics is POTENTIALLY contaminated, and that's what the schools have to go on. My teacher, who is in the thick of it (Cheltenham is my sister school) said the decision for resitting papers or alternate assessments came from The Board. Well he didn't but he implied that it was powers higher and out of control of my school principals. Sounds stupid but maybe they should even try to figure out a way to standardise trials, but then again it defeats the whole purpose of being an in school assessment. Oh well, I guess you can't standardise anything. The point is though, that the schools around me shouldn't just be forced to resit this.

I know some don't care much for teachers but my teachers now have to sit up, devise new exams and then mark THEM as well. All in all, the staff who scheduled the exams and any staff who viewed the papers are partly to blame at Cheltenham. It's their responsibilty to educate fairly and evenly. It is a public school for godsakes.
The thing is, this only affects INTERNAL rankings. If it affected external rankings (i.e. state-wide), then I'd see the point of every school sitting a different exam. If other schools do not resit the exams, it will NOT affect your UAI or marks. But believe me when I say no-one in our school knew of this. We have roughly 40 Advanced students, and I know them all. None of them had prior knowledge of what the questions were.

I sympathise with those people who have to resit the exams, but for schools like ours, there's simply no point. This should be up to the discretion of the schools. Take, for example, a school with 2 or 3 Advanced students - how utterly stupid would it be to make them resit the exams?

Last edited:

jessied

HSC
i live up north and my school hasnt heard anything of it.. i told the people in my year about what i had read on here about the stuff up and thats the first anyone had heard of it... i highly doubt that the CSSA can force every school who did there english papers to do it again.. and if they do like schools who knew nothing about (like mine) are going to force there students to sit another english exam

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
yeah the CSSA cant force anything. Its entirely up to individual schools. Its an internal assesment and therefore under the school's control. They simply just buy the catholic paper off the CSSA.

Samie_Loo

quacktacular
HSC
im glad our skool got no wind of such a leak... not like i wouldnt have minded... but its up to the skools to determine wat happens now... i dont think it very fair... i mean... the skool was bound by the purchase to apply the conditions... its not anyone but the administrators/schools fault now...

wat can they do to fix it now? besides force the poor surrounding teachers to make new exams... so unfair... one apple ruins the bunch :uhhuh:

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
CSSA wouldnt force anyone as its not within their sphere of influence (esp. in the State system). If they had to re-sit the exam, it would come from either the Board (highly unlikely), the Department of Ed. (again, maybe but unlikely) or from the school itself (very likely)

No- one would have to do it unless it again came from their school and only then if it was een as a major issue. Some schools would just treat it as an incident of cheating and punish the individuals IF they could catch them....

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm just wondering how they stuffed up....

Was it cheltenham's first year of using CSSA papers?
Was the person who set the exams' date new? Why didnt the other teachers pick up that it was sheduled inncorrectly?

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Deus said:
I'm just wondering how they stuffed up....

Was it cheltenham's first year of using CSSA papers?
Was the person who set the exams' date new? Why didnt the other teachers pick up that it was sheduled inncorrectly?
who knows?

Maybe ignorance of the system?
But then again, things like this have to apass through many hands so Im guessing that the English people are to blame as they *probably*/ may have purchased the paper without the schools notice (hard to do but is possible) and passed it off as their own.

How did the students know it was a CSSA paper if it was passed of as the schools own (if this example is true that is?)

Wonder if their other exams were CSSA?

many things to ponder about in this one!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)