challenging gravitation question #2 (1 Viewer)

fysiqs

HSC
Here's an idea....why don't you ask your teacher...if he/she gave you the question ( doubtful) OR ask the "teacher" at your coaching college who gave you the question.

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
Here's an idea....why don't you ask your teacher...if he/she gave you the question ( doubtful) OR ask the "teacher" at your coaching college who gave you the question.
Here's an even better idea... Don't respond to a question unless you have something constructive to add to it. If you can't help with a question, just move on to the next one.

To OP:
Really all this question is asking is the speed needed to escape the combined effects of both of the spheres of influence from these massive objects.

SO, you need to include the potential due to both the Sun's sphere of influence and Jupiter's sphere of influence. (this is what is done in the first step)

Step 1:
Do note, that the notation used is for gravitational potential, not gravitational potential energy. They differ as gravitational potential is gravitational potential energy per unit mass. They could have easily figured out the Ep at each point, simply by multiplying by the mass of the craft.

Step 2:
They have just used the escape velocity criterion, that is Ek lost = Ep gained. Note, they mutliplied the value in Step 1 by mass, m, as they converted potential into potential energy in this step.

fysiqs

HSC
Bully for you.

You obviously are quite unfamiliar with the physics syllabus, because if you did you would realise that this is an out of syllabus question, as gravitational potential is not in syllabus.

That's why I treated the question with scorn.....time wasters.

And I will respond as I see fit....

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
Bully for you.

You obviously are quite unfamiliar with the physics syllabus, because if you did you would realise that this is an out of syllabus question, as gravitational potential is not in syllabus.

That's why I treated the question with scorn.....time wasters.

And I will respond as I see fit....
Quite the hilarious person.

This question is nothing more than work done in a gravitational field, nothing more than GPE my friend. Well within the syllabus.

If you need help with your understanding of Physics, I know a couple of pretty good physics tutors.

Let me know :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)