chances getting caught p2p progams (1 Viewer)

slinky

A Very Important Member
HSC
N/A
yeah, i was just wondering wat is the chance of getting caught using p2p, and have u heard or know of private users getting caught in aus. thanku

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
slinky said:
yeah, i was just wondering wat is the chance of getting caught using p2p, and have u heard or know of private users getting caught in aus. thanku
Quite high, since downloading copyrighted material is illegal, and that's what the authorities are targetting. There have been numerous reported cases of users receiving 'warning letters' from their ISP, detailing what they had downloaded, and if the activities continued their account would be suspended and legal action taken.

Best idea is to avoid P2P, unless you are downloading something legal, such as free linux distributions or other large release packages.

IamaFloorMat

HSC
N/A
That still doesnt stop bigpond people, they even announce it on the whirlpool forums lol :p

Stan..

HSC
If you download 'Screeners' (Movies that are currently shown) on any Filesharing network then the MPAA will get you for sure. Music is a little different, cause some songs are from way back in the '80s and the FSAA dosen't look for them, however the new crap is a trap to get idiots who think their beating the system.

Also if you think that you can download any game released later than June/July 2004 then you can get caught really easy. That's why HL2 got hundreds of people busted for downloading it illegally. I wouldn't risk if I were you.

The odds - Rough Estimate
Movies 1:10
Music (Current) 1:1000
Games 1:2

sladehk

le random
HSC
well... that depends on how you get it and from which source

Bone577

HSC
N/A
I have never heard of anyone getting caught for such things in Aus, and I know ALOT of people who do ALOT of downloading. May be dependant on how you get it though, none of the people I know use Kazaa based networks. Mainly BT and private FTP's.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Casmira said:
afaik they target distributers not downloaders?
in some share programs, they're really careful with what they say in their agreement and terms of use. I forgot the exact wording (which would've been important in this post) but they talk about how it's a trial etc. Under your own risk.

As well as this, there are "unbuyables", such as live music.... I know that John Mayer (somewhere on his website) said he doesn't care if you swap, tape or record his live stuff. Some share programs talk about this - that you have permission from the composer... so if anyone wanted to get legal on me, I'll just show them his damn website...

(except for several songs not by John Mayer)

Haven't been targetted myself, but I'll be stopping all of it soon when I move out... you know... no more cable internet...

sladehk

le random
HSC
if you don't use the really common p2p software its harder to get caught

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
Youre fine in Australia since we have privacy laws that the government is trying to get rid of at the moment. So youll only get caught unless the police have a warrant on you.

JimmyK

Narrabeen, Sydney/Maitland, Hunter Valley
HSC
i think that if you are careful u'll be fine. my downloading programs cant use a TCP connection (due to firewall stuff), which will reduce ur chances of getting caught - if you turn these off, the access they have to ur computer will be limited - if they find ur computer at all.
using a unknown program will often help you. dont use mainstream stuff like kazaa.. or most stuff thats included on PC mag magazines. if your on a network at home, that will also reduce ur chances of gettign caught.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
ive been sent a letter by universal movies to aske me to delete some files, but that's all.

at least they aren't fining random people like RIAA

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
of course, i'm prolly on a blacklist now, lol

i have to reply to some letter to confirm that i had deleted it.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I cant remember its name - but anyway the creator of the gnutella network (and I think winamp as well) wrote a secure p2p program which is apparently much safer - insofar as getting caught - to use.

The other trick is to change the port used by a p2p program, apparently some ISPs block the default port for say Kazaa, but if you change it from default then it'll work.

As mentioned you can use less high-profile p2p clients eg winmx, the sacrifice is less range and availability.

Otherwise you should investigate securing and stealthing your connection eg using a proxy server and encrypting data sent between it and you.

Another option is wardriving.

The easiest (at least for movies) is to go to South East Asia and buy them.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
it's actually illegal to by movies in asia and bring them over here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)