Chances of getting into a selective school? (1 Viewer)

ST2010

HSC
Hey guys! just wondering if i am able to get into a selective school..
so for my report is a few A's but mainly B's bit bad but i got so much extra cirriculum./

High distinction Geography competition
-Credit sciece competition
-40 hours of community service
-involved in SRC with tree planting etc,
-SCRAM ( school conflict resoultion and mediation)
-Peer support leader/tutor
-invovled in homework centre
- joining the 302 squadron cadets in 2009
-still participating in Duke of Endinbourgh's award
- in school's Open B basketball team
-volunteered 48 hours at St vincent De Paul's
-Red Cross Appeal Doorknock
-Salvation Army Doorkock
- OHS safety certificate
-Presentaton night awards for history and geography in 2005,2006 and 2007
- And heaps and heaps of Merits :)

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Which school are you aiming for?
I'd say that you'd definitely be able to get into a Selective School, but just depends on which one.

HSC
just coz your reports good..doesnt mean you'll get in..
the only school which goes by reports only is james ruse ( i stand corrected)
and you need nothing short of 8A's to pass..

Remember, you have to also do an examination..

annddd..dont bother mentioning the merits =.=

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
agree with the above post. Some schools dont look at report. They may look at the activities you are involved in. Some schools (that are racist) may look at your surname. Some schools look at a test. And merits wont really do anything. Everyone gets awards and people suck up to get them. And you know with some schools, they throw your awards away when you hand them in for big awards. So the selection panel WILL NOT consider awards that closely. Generally speaking, in partially selective schools, commun ity students get more awards then the selective students. Thats another reason why most selection panels dont look at your awards.

Just perform well in a test, do whatever you need to get in. Take a deep breath. There's no point stressing out in getting into a selective school.

WRite a letter that would be good. But partially selective schools in particular dont look at the letters.

ST2010

HSC
Aerath said:
Which school are you aiming for?
I'd say that you'd definitely be able to get into a Selective School, but just depends on which one.
im applying for syd tech or caringbah u think its alright?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
ST2010 said:
That's high.

I barely got into Gosford and Normanhurst when I handed in my report.

My report had all As except PD/H/PE (where I got B). I came first in three subjects and top 5% in 3 other subjects. So I had great results in 6 subjects out of 8. Despite that I barely got into Normanhurst and Gosford. I doubt that I would have got into schools higher than that.

I also need to remind you that my school was not a dumb school. It's ranked 101st so it's decent.

I really do think that you will need awesome results to get into school like Sydney Tech. If not, apply for sefton or macquarie fields. it's must easier that way.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I could have got into a selective school when I went to start High School... My mother tells me the otehr day. My teacher in primary school recommended it for me to go to (by the way this school is in Port Macquarie) and my mum only told me today... I wish i had have gone but I would have missed out on all my friends... Lol.

Getting into Sydney Tech without a flawless report is near on impossible... I also don't see that much fuss in private schools.... sure they push you and might be more rewarding but over 65% of students elegible for UAI's and get over 98.00 are from state schools!.... (the state schools in my area are crap though, so I shouldn't really say anything to bag high-up private schools).

XShiv

HSC
ST2010 said:
Your reports are decent and i think you have a good chance.
You have to keep in mind that your chance of getting in is so very relative to the credentials and amount of kids applying for your selected shools.
Remember that getting into a decent slective school is always a game of chance to some extent.

good luck =]

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
lyounamu said:
That's high.

My report had all As except PD/H/PE (where I got B). I came first in three subjects and top 5% in 3 other subjects. So I had great results in 6 subjects out of 8. Despite that I barely got into Normanhurst and Gosford. I doubt that I would have got into schools higher than that.

I also need to remind you that my school was not a dumb school. It's ranked 101st so it's decent.

I really do think that you will need awesome results to get into school like Sydney Tech. If not, apply for sefton or macquarie fields. it's must easier that way.
They only had 2 places available for Normo though, both of which got snapped by people I know. I reckon you could've easily gotten into another selective school - one which offered more places but isn't necessarily lower ranked.

As for the OP, take out the Credit and the Merits. The only thing you should really include are Distinctions and above. If you're getting main Bs however, it might be abit hard for you to get in. The standard is usually As.

XShiv

HSC
ST2010 said:
my report is a few A's but mainly B's
Quick Question.
As you would be aware the its yr9's semester 2 report and yr10's semester 1 (Usually), do you have A's in the subjects you got B's in to even it out in any of the reports.
eg.

Yr9 -English - A
Yr10 - English - B

*or the other way around.

;)

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
XShiv said:
Quick Question.
As you would be aware the its yr9's semester 2 report and yr10's semester 1 (Usually), do you have A's in the subjects you got B's in to even it out in any of the reports.
eg.

Yr9 -English - A
Yr10 - English - B

*or the other way around.

;)
I think they would really only care about the Year 10 report, because a lot of people improve and their current level/standing would be more important.

XShiv

HSC
the-derivative said:
I think they would really only care about the Year 10 report, because a lot of people improve and their current level/standing would be more important.
I agree with you.
Its just in some cases you might be unlucky in terms of grades.
eg.
I recived an A in maths in yr9 but missed out on one for year10 buy about a mark and a half.

Yea sure they look at your yr10 report closely, but they would really also get a better summary if you may, by using two reports.

Peace.

HSC
lyounamu said:
That's high.

lol..tech isnt that high.

tech has abt 100 students trying out each year..i suppose more this year and only one or two get in..
year 10 for tech accepts 10-12..

mecramarathon

HSC
That's high.

Same with me

But some dumb person in my grade got into NSBH the next year ... i think its biased

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Hey guys! just wondering if i am able to get into a selective school..
so for my report is a few A's but mainly B's bit bad but i got so much extra cirriculum./

High distinction Geography competition
-Credit sciece competition
-40 hours of community service
-involved in SRC with tree planting etc,
-SCRAM ( school conflict resoultion and mediation)
-Peer support leader/tutor
-invovled in homework centre
- joining the 302 squadron cadets in 2009
-still participating in Duke of Endinbourgh's award
- in school's Open B basketball team
-volunteered 48 hours at St vincent De Paul's
-Red Cross Appeal Doorknock
-Salvation Army Doorkock
- OHS safety certificate
-Presentaton night awards for history and geography in 2005,2006 and 2007
- And heaps and heaps of Merits :)
AAFC eh? Have fun... i hope you enjoy drill because i did :p

As everyone said, you should be able to get into a good selective school but probably not the higher ranked ones. Also, follow the advice given - take out the credits etc.

Good luck!

bbyjessicax

HSC
it'd depend on the other people who apply.
just hope that their like ..
not as active as youu .
& it also depends on how many spots they open =\

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)