• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

change of school <2> (1 Viewer)

iamdumdum

HSC
hello, just a question, is it better to change to a selective school or stay at my current school where i am topping??

hayabusaboston

HSC
Stay at current school man, if anything selective school only creates a potential situation where u r dragged down if ur ranked too low. If ur topping there's absolutely no point to move, because your HSC is pretty much set (As long as u work for ur results). Moving in ur situation is pointless.

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
hello, just a question, is it better to change to a selective school or stay at my current school where i am topping??
Have you listed the pros and cons of moving to a selective school?

iamdumdum

HSC
pros- more competitive, thus makes me more determined to study (im those people that likes winning ^^)

Cons- have to make new friends

cant think of much

Verify

HSC
It's your choice, really. If you have great friends in your current school that you know will support you in the future and you're topping your subjects, then I guess it's better to stay.
But then again, selective schools are great because they allow you to push yourself as well as be in a much more competitive environment.

May I ask what school you got into?

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
pros- more competitive, thus makes me more determined to study (im those people that likes winning ^^)

Cons- have to make new friends

cant think of much
But do you know any people from that selective school?

Cinndy

HSC
N/A
It depends on the teaching methods. If the teachers at your current school can't teach, then by all means move schools.
Take in mind that you have to start all over again in aspects of friendship and school environment. Ranking means a lot in the senior years as well !

iamdumdum

HSC
Yea i know like around 10-15

and if i do move, what ranks should i be in to obtain an atar of over 97

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Is your current school decent ranking even though it's not selective? Just wondering.

There are pros and cons to be considered in each case.

iamdumdum

HSC
hmm my school has been dropping ever since 2009 right now its like ~250 from like ~120\

All the teachers can teach there except the ones in the english faculty and pretty much 3/4 of the physics teacher

such_such

HSC
Move :) I think you'll regret not moving than staying. It's a wonderful opportunity into the 'unknown'. I took that leap and I'm very happy where I am.

Verify

HSC
Yeah, I agree you should move. Also with Fort Street climbing the ranks year after year (now in top 10 I believe) they must be doing something right.

russ3l

HSC
It really depends on what type of person you are: if you're one of those people that becomes motivated when low ranked, then by all means go. But if you're one of those people that does the complete opposite and gets demotivated, then I think it's best if you stay. Keep in mind that you are already familiar with how your current school works, so why would you want to end your last two years of schooling in a foreign place? I personally chose to stay at my current school because like what other people have said: I can get the same results, I can potentially get leadership roles and I finish my school-life with people I grew up with :). Good luck!

deswa1

HSC
The only thing you should be careful of if you stay is becoming complacent- just because you are topping a comprehensive school does not mean that you can compete with the best in the state (you might be able to- you just can't tell simply from school results). In year 12, if you do decide to stay, you need to make sure you still work even if you are clearly rank 1 because in the HSC, you will be up against selective school kiddies that have had to work hard to maintain their ranks.

CrackerMo

HSC
N/A
Hello, I am currently a year 11 Fortian and after years of evaluation, the majority of the current year 10s are idiots...

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
It really depends on what type of person you are: if you're one of those people that becomes motivated when low ranked, then by all means go. But if you're one of those people that does the complete opposite and gets demotivated, then I think it's best if you stay. Keep in mind that you are already familiar with how your current school works, so why would you want to end your last two years of schooling in a foreign place? I personally chose to stay at my current school because like what other people have said: I can get the same results, I can potentially get leadership roles and I finish my school-life with people I grew up with :). Good luck!
Nice that you made the right decision. People should read the post above ^. Consider all the pros and cons with moving a school before you make a decision. Ask your parents what they think is truly best for you (care for biased opinion though).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)