CHanges to Mathematics @ UNSW (1 Viewer)

Affinity

HSC
and, there's always a possibility of getting scholarships

wenwenwen

HSC
UNSW maths is the best still and higher standards than other unis. I've compared exam papers........ its like.......... heaven and hell situation

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
velox said:
Is that true? ^ Is Bsc (adv) better at unsw or usyd?
Obviously USyd will say USyd and UNSW will say UNSW. Truth be told, you'd be in a win-win situation whichever one you picked.

MAICHI

HSC
N/A
Life other than studying reduces your GPA exponentially. :rolleyes:

I think USYD is better though in terms of quality of students, not sure about other attributes.

MAICHI

HSC
N/A
I don't want to sound stupid but what does it all mean? How can you tell from the list of changes you've posted if they are dumbing down or not? I'm a math major so what will this all mean to me, will it affect me in a good or a bad way?

Affinity

HSC
No it's a realisation of microeconomic theory

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
MAICHI said:
I don't want to sound stupid but what does it all mean? How can you tell from the list of changes you've posted if they are dumbing down or not? I'm a math major so what will this all mean to me, will it affect me in a good or a bad way?
fewer preqs mean it will be easier to take those 3rd yr subjects. tis true that its cz there aint much demand for them that theyre allowing more ppl to take those subjects mentioned.

MAICHI

HSC
N/A
You mentioned "demand", what demand is this? I don't really understand your second sentence.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
MAICHI said:
You mentioned "demand", what demand is this? I don't really understand your second sentence.
demand - demand for those courses that have low enrollments

basically, theyre relaxing the rules so that more ppl can enrol

MAICHI

HSC
N/A
Ok, thanks.

So what effect will this have, wouldn't this be a good thing for the students who wants to study at a higher level? But does this make math at UNSW less reputatable or something?

I don't really understand the "realisation of microeconomic theory" either. Can someone explain?

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
MAICHI said:
Ok, thanks.

So what effect will this have, wouldn't this be a good thing for the students who wants to study at a higher level? But does this make math at UNSW less reputatable or something?

I don't really understand the "realisation of microeconomic theory" either. Can someone explain?
no, its a nationwide trend; the already low enrollments in mathematics will continue to fall (its being accelerated by the higher cost of education). unsw maths is quite reputable as it is: we have some of the highest standards (harder exams) in the country.

realisation of micreconomic theory - when demand curve falls, u shift the supply curve down (falling costs,ie, to students that would be taking lots of prereqs) which raises the (equilibium )quantity demanded. what degree r u taking? not commerce/science?

MAICHI

HSC
N/A
Ok, so the change is good then, because it makes it cheaper for us all. Thats good right?

I did do microeconomics last semester if that is what you're wondering about.

turtle_2468

HSC
General reply from reading post for 2 minutes (sorry.. I should have taken more time.. I know, pm me if you want me to read more thoroughly):
Yes, changes are happening.
Independent learning is an OK way of learning, but I think that classroom learning is actually a lot more useful. This is especially the case for higher maths in a way that 1st and possibly 2nd year don't illustrate. I learnt some group theory in high school using a book, and it was the same concepts as Algebra I which I did in uni. However, I got hugely more out of the course, mainly because 1) I had to do work to retain the information and 2) the lecturer presented it in an accessible, interesting way. Despite books being the repository of much mathematical information, live teachers do the job much much better...

About letting more students do the course: The courses are HARD. There's no two ways about it... I found in algebra I and II some of the most intellectually demanding subjects I've ever done. I got lost in a few points, and basically ahd to go back and work stuff out on my own. This is the first, and so far only, time, I've had to do this with regard to some piece of logic. Relaxing standards and reducing the content covered in the course will mean that less is taught... and when you get worse students coming in the lecturers tailor the course to be easier... hence the good students don't learn as much.

The people who ARE doing algebra I and II, in my humble opinion, are probably most of the people who SHOULD be doing the course...

maniacguy

The changes Seraphim mentions (for the most part) simply reflect the knowledge that is actually necessary to do the subject, so makes things more accurate. (For example, Algebraic Topology doesn't really need any Real Analysis anymore - whilst it is probably helpful, I think getting by without it is certainly possible)

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
The changes have now been put in writing. I wonder if timetabling for the less popular 3rd yr subejcts (even for applied and stat) will be done thru myUNSW or negotiated with the lecturer like the present pure math courses.

Last edited:

maniacguy

§eraphim said:
The changes have now been put in writing. I wonder if timetabling for the less popular 3rd yr subejcts (even for applied and stat) will be done thru myUNSW or negotiated with the lecturer like the present pure math courses.
I greatly doubt it, since four lectures a week is much harder to timetable than just two.

Out of curiousity - are you supposed to make those documents publicly available before they've been ratified by the Faculty Board (I know you're on the Faculty Board, but don't know the status of those as yet).

In a remark, it looks as though the draft the School of Maths had a month or two ago was fairly accurate after all. In which case I should point out that the subjects moved to graduate level are (for the most part) already offered as 3/4 subjects, and they will be offered only on a rotational basis (i.e. every few years rather than every year - probably the best that can be done will be every other year).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)