Changing Subjects in Term 2? (1 Viewer)

osamaelias

HSC
N/A
My friend , Foram , noted out to me , that it would be wiser decision to take advanced english , as it usually scales more then english standard.

Now were going into term 2, what are the possibilites of changing , and would i find it hard to cope with,

Aswell , as another question , would it be possible to swap to adv english in year 12 and not need the preliminary years of work?

Thank you

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
osamaelias said:
My friend , Foram , noted out to me , that it would be wiser decision to take advanced english , as it usually scales more then english standard.

Now were going into term 2, what are the possibilites of changing , and would i find it hard to cope with,

Aswell , as another question , would it be possible to swap to adv english in year 12 and not need the preliminary years of work?

Thank you
At my school, people are allowed to change from Standard English to Advanced English (and vice versa) because everyone in the grade took the exactly same exam in the first term. Standard English people who get high mark in that exam (over 10/15) are then allowed to change their classes if they wish to.

It is totally your decision to change class. However, it is important to note that Standard English and Advanced English are scaled in the same way. It is just that Advanced English students appear to be academically better than Standard English students (and that's why it seems that the scaling of Standard English is low). Important things to look at are your own English ability. If you believe that you have got potential in English, why not do it? It's entirely up to you and I hope that you make a wise decision.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Changing classes earlier is better than later - because it will be easier to catch up on the work. Not many schools would let you pick up a subject in Year 12, having not completed the Preliminary course.

As for scaling - it shouldn't have been your deciding factor in regards to your subject choices. But I don't believe that Foram was talking up English for once. :)

Talk to your year advisor, English teacher, or the Head of English, in order to make a fully informed decision.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Aerath said:
Changing classes earlier is better than later - because it will be easier to catch up on the work. Not many schools would let you pick up a subject in Year 12, having not completed the Preliminary course.

As for scaling - it shouldn't have been your deciding factor in regards to your subject choices. But I don't believe that Foram was talking up English for once. :)

Talk to your year advisor, English teacher, or the Head of English, in order to make a fully informed decision.
Quoted for truth.

By the way, Foram is one of the best guy to talk about Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics & Mathematics Extension 1 and Economics even though he may not be the best guy to discuss English with.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
I hope I can change. If I can I'm changing Modern History to Chemistry. The bad thing is, half yearlies are week 2. Also, I can imagine my parents telling me off for having no aim and not choosing my subjects wisely T_T

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
osamaelias said:

Thank you
Yeah it would be wiser to take Advanced English, because when the HSC begins, it's easier to drop it if you're not performing at your best or you're not copious with Advanced, than to pick it up. But ask these questions to yourself:

1. Are you currently coping really well with Standard English?
2. Are you passionate for English?

I was in a situation where the English head department wanted me to take Standard English, because I was in the 2nd highest class and I wasn't performing so well. So I told him that I'll perform at my best this year in Advanced English, and now, I'm ranked top 5 of my class ;). I'm so glad I took Advanced.

And with your last question, I think it is possible to swap to Advanced English in Year 12 and not need the preliminary years of work. But a friend of mine in Year 12 was in a situation where he desperately wanted to be in the Advanced English class, but the head teacher always told him that sticking with Standard will be better for him. The classes were also limited.

So take it now. Hope that helped :). All the best.

P.S What are you doing up so late? lol :D.

Last edited:

Kirsty Xx

That's the price we pay
HSC
osamaelias said:

Thank you
If you wanted to swap in year 12, I thought you could only go down and not up.

i.e swap from Advanced to Standard and not the other way around...

But I guess it will depend on your school, and what your teachers think and whether they will allow it. If you are aloud to swap, it may be best to wait until year 12 instead of trying to catch up. Hrmmm in saying that though, I thought all English classes do the same thing in the first term as that's how it's structured in the exam.

Anyway, do the research with your school.
Good luck :) Xx

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
lyounamu said:
it is important to note that Standard English and Advanced English are scaled in the same way. It is just that Advanced English students appear to be academically better than Standard English students
Aerath said:
As for scaling - it shouldn't have been your deciding factor in regards to your subject choices.
Without Wings said:
If you are thinking of changing though, the sooner the better - i.e better to do it now than at the end of the preliminary year. :)
:D

Aplus

HSC
N/A
True, but I would also advise against sulking for 6 months, then panicking because you can no longer change subjects.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Aplus said:
True, but I would also advise against sulking for 6 months, then panicking because you can no longer change subjects.
Are you gonna ask for a change in the subject???

I don't think I will as I am performing really well (but I hold absolutely no affection & love for it).

Aplus

HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:
Are you gonna ask for a change in the subject???

I don't think I will as I am performing really well (but I hold absolutely no affection & love for it).
I'm going to attempt to change because my passion for it is dropping and my marks reflect that disappointment. History was my favourite subject in previous years, so this is not an easy decision

Last edited:

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
do advanced and if you find your not doing well drop back to standard

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Another problem is my heart tells me to switch to Beginner's Japanese, but my brain tells me to switch to Chemistry [university/career wise].

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
Aplus said:
Another problem is my heart tells me to switch to Beginner's Japanese, but my brain tells me to switch to Chemistry [university/career wise].
What do you want to do at uni? and at what uni do you want to do it in?

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Medicine/Medical based course at University of Sydney. But, the reason I say that, is because I actually really don't know what I want. It's quite a strong disappointment that by this age, I still do not have a strong desire of wanting to be anything. Medicine is basically my answer whenever I'm asked what I intend on studying in the future. So, it's not looking for good for me...

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
Aplus said:
Medicine/Medical based course at University of Sydney. But, the reason I say that, is because I actually really don't know what I want. It's quite a strong disappointment that by this age, I still do not have a strong desire of wanting to be anything. Medicine is basically my answer whenever I'm asked what I intend on studying in the future. So, it's not looking for good for me...
I wouldn't be to worried at this point in time. A lot of students in year 12 still don't know what they want to do and even those that do may change their mind once they actually get into uni. According to the UAC 2008 Handbook MBBS @ Usyd needs a UAI of 99.95+ which you will also need to be successful in UMAT and an interview. The Assumed Knowledge for the course is Mathematics or Mathematics Extension 1. It doesn't say anything about Chemistry on the list. If you are that worried about missing out, they have a bridging course for Chemistry at Usyd. Information on this can be found here http://www.chem.usyd.edu.au/study/bridgingcourse.html

Anyway I hope that helps :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)