Changing Subjects in Term 2? (1 Viewer)

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
Everybody know you need chemistry to do medicine! Its not as if Chemistry is hard either. :D

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
foram said:
Everybody knows you need chemistry to do medicine! Its not as if Chemistry is hard either. :D
It isn't on the assumed knowledge list for MBBS at Usyd, UNSW, UWS. So your statement is :fail:. (and even if it was you can still do the course as it isn't a prerequisite)

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
melanieeeee. said:
It isn't on the assumed knowledge list for MBBS at Usyd, UNSW, UWS. So your statement is :fail:. (and even if it was you can still do the course as it isn't a prerequisite)
it used to be... :(

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
melanieeeee. said:
It's not 'assumed knowledge' but Chemistry is 'recommended knowledge'. If you haven't learned anything in HSC Chemistry and begin MBBS, you'll be disadvantaged against other students undertaking the MBBS course whom have already completed the HSC Chemistry course.

Source: http://www.unsw.edu.au/futureStudents/undergrad/sad/assumedknowledge.html

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
Razizi said:
It's not 'assumed knowledge' but Chemistry is 'recommended knowledge'. If you haven't learned anything in HSC Chemistry and begin MBBS, you'll be disadvantaged against other students undertaking the MBBS course whom have already completed the HSC Chemistry course.

Source: http://www.unsw.edu.au/futureStudents/undergrad/sad/assumedknowledge.html
Prerequiste > Assumed Knowledge > Recommended Studies

Anyway the main point I was making is that you can still do the course even though even if you didn't do Chemestry. Also if you are doing it in USyd which APlus said she wanted to do she could have done a bridging course.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
lyounamu said:
Well, there is no 'actual' evidence. But that's what I reckon. I am guessing that they will be asking you whethter you did Chemistry (or they might already have seen that you did Chemistry or not).

They may even question you why you didn't do Chemistry and why you wish to do Medicine course where Chemistry knowledge is 'recommended' (I doubt it is at the level of 'recommended' knowledge because Medicine Course is partially predominant with Chemistry knowledge').
Exactly it is your opinions so don't go making out that it will definitely disadvantage a student if they don't do Chemistry. They may question you about your subjects but just because you didn't do chemistry the shouldn't deny you entry on that basis alone.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
saying that they may be disadvantaged in an interview/selection is a logical conclusion from the premise that people who have done chemisry in high school are better suited to medicine in uni. It's a reasonably safe assumption to make.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
Razizi said:
LOL, it's 'HE' not 'SHE' :D.

Secondly, we've already had these discussions on MSN about dropping Modern History for Chemistry, as the workload for Modern is too much and he wishes to pursue a career in Medicine, even though he's still unsure. Therefore, now is the time to change, unless you wish to bridge the course after the HSC. That's how I know what he wants.
Well, I think that he should still know the option of bridging courses.

And lastly, debating is fun :).
I agree :D

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
lyounamu said:
If you 'modified' it, that's a completely failed 'modification' as if it sounded like you are making assumption based on nothing.

By the way, I shall end this as I heard from risole that he got banned due to useless rubbish that he posted on BOS. I will delete all my posts.
haha ummmm the evidence that I have is the fact that I used the word 'may' and 'i think' and 'imo' therefore my assumption that i have modified my statement is tested/proved.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
melanieeeee. said:
haha ummmm the evidence that I have is the fact that I used the word 'may' and 'i think' and 'imo'
The thread is about changing subjects in term 2 of the preliminary year, rather than the main topic being Medicine and admission to Medicine.

/End.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
melanieeeee. said:
Well, I think that he should still know the option of bridging courses.
Yeah but those bridging courses probably go through the content too fast.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
Aplus said:
Yeah but those bridging courses probably go through the content too fast.
most uni courses are like that so youre going to have to get use to it sooner or later. also a part of it is that they only teach you the stuff that you actually need for the course.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
I've been thinking really long and even though I'd like to change Modern History to Chemistry, I feel that I really actually will not have any passion for it. Also, doing every single science is too much. But, I will change Modern History, to Japanese Beginners. If it appears that this has been a rushed decision and a representation of my uncertainty, I asure you it is not. Right now, I'd rather do the subjects that interest me, rather than have university courses, which I may not even be interested in the future, dictate me.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Aplus said:
I've been thinking really long and even though I'd like to change Modern History to Chemistry, I feel that I really actually will not have any passion for it. Also, doing every single science is too much. But, I will change Modern History, to Japanese Beginners. If it appears that this has been a rushed decision and a representation of my uncertainty, I asure you it is not. Right now, I'd rather do the subjects that interest me, rather than have university courses, which I may not even be interested in the future, dictate me.
Does your school provide that course? Or do you have to do that through Open High School?

KnifeySpoony

HSC
So err, back to the subject on changing subjects on term2, do other schools allow it?
Because @ my school the cut-off was like week3,4 - and my friend absolutely hates S.D.D, and obviously its waay past week 4.I told him to go with his parents and ask the year co-ordinator deputy maybe which he prlly will eventually, but the problem is past asssessments, and our half yearlies are in week 4 so gfg =/

So like uhh..does he have a decent chance maybe? ne1 else have toehr experiences with this? he def needs to change it asap if he wants a decent uai, and can't drop it or he'd be ineligible for a uai ;<

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
KnifeySpoony said:
So err, back to the subject on changing subjects on term2, do other schools allow it?
Because @ my school the cut-off was like week3,4 - and my friend absolutely hates S.D.D, and obviously its waay past week 4.I told him to go with his parents and ask the year co-ordinator deputy maybe which he prlly will eventually, but the problem is past asssessments, and our half yearlies are in week 4 so gfg =/

So like uhh..does he have a decent chance maybe? ne1 else have toehr experiences with this? he def needs to change it asap if he wants a decent uai, and can't drop it or he'd be ineligible for a uai ;<
it would have to depend on your school whether or not you are allowed to change subjects. go ask your co ordinator/principal/teacher/person in charge to see if you are still allowed to change subjects.

also you can get a descend UAI with almost any subject combination, so you dont have to worry about that ;)

KnifeySpoony

HSC
Yeah i kinda knew about that, but its just that i doubt he'd do well in it considering he hates it =/
I guess he could try and ask with his rents, worth a try =/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)