• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Changing Subjects in Yr 12 (1 Viewer)

Dusk_Valkyrie26

HSC
Hey Everyone,

I have a question which I was hoping someone on this forum could answer~
Consider this scenario: I've been studying 14 Units in Prelims and currently, 12Us for the HSC. However I would like 'add' the Japanese Beginners Course as an official subject which could count towards my ATAR. The question is despite no assessments being completed in the Japanese HSC course yet, is it too late/possible to enrol because of those missed hours/tasks in Prelims?

(I'm asking this because I'm confident I have the capability to maximise my marks with this course)

muzeikchun852

HSC
回覆: Changing Subjects in Yr 12

Hey Everyone,

I have a question which I was hoping someone on this forum could answer~
Consider this scenario: I've been studying 14 Units in Prelims and currently, 12Us for the HSC. However I would like 'add' the Japanese Beginners Course as an official subject which could count towards my ATAR. The question is despite no assessments being completed in the Japanese HSC course yet, is it too late/possible to enrol because of those missed hours/tasks in Prelims?

(I'm asking this because I'm confident I have the capability to maximise my marks with this course)
u needed to complete the prem course to able for the course to be counted for ur ATAR. i think is a bit too late to add a subject for ur HSC (except extension courses).

philphie

Banned
HSC
my mate after dropping chemistry half way through the year was allowed to pick up modern history. he was a foreign student from Finland so got special treatment. i helped him catch up on all the work he missed out (only had to study hsc coursework, no prelim) and he bumped me out of my top ranking.

HSC
Re: 回覆: Re: Changing Subjects in Yr 12

I'm sorry my friend, it is too late as you need to complete 120 hours of the preliminary course in order to be eligible for that HSC course. I understand where you are coming from, you will maximise your ATAR with this subject :p

Good luck!

x jiim

zimbardooo.
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't think so, a couple of kids in my school wanted to pick up ancient in yr12 but they had to do the yr11 yearly exam first, even though it didn't count. Sounds like it will depend a bit on the school, so you should check with them ASAP. Good luck :]

Matt2233

HSC
Don't listen to the people saying you need to complete 120 hours of the prelim course. All you really need is your principal to back you up on saying youve completed the prelim course. Whatever that means is up the the principal.

Saying this, i'm pretty sure your school won't let you do it as your already missed a quarter of the HSC year and possibly an assessment task.

That might be ok if you can actually speak Japanese, but if you have no knowledge ofthe language i would advise you to not try as it would make your year that much more difficult then is necessary.

Maybe consider studying Japanese after the hsc at a language center or uni ifyour that interested?

Dusk_Valkyrie26

HSC
Thanks for all your responses =) I think I'll do a little more research and speak with my career advisor asap.

THanks again

joecarling

HSC
you can't add subjects for the hsc in year 12. you can only drop subjects. it'd probably be better if you dropped from 14 units to 12. 14 is way too much work.

kyokaku92

HSC
Don't bother wasting your time doing a language in yr 12. Do it in uni when there's time (this is coming from someone who regrettably dropped Japanese :eek:)

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
This is only possible if you 'accelerate' the Year 11 and 12 course into one Year and be prepared by the final HSC exams. You would not have to complete any of the preliminary assessments of course (but I would recommend attempting some tests for practice in the HSC ones).

You would need to catch up on the language fast if you don't already know some.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)