CHEM 1031 Higher Chemistry 1C (2 Viewers)

routemarker

Looking for the Way out ?
HSC
Anyone here doing Higher Chemistry 1C? I figure since this is a pain in the ass subject that we can have a thread to post the subject matter and answers for the computer managed assignments and any difficult calculations we face in labs.

mannnnndy

chocoholic
Thats not such a bad idea. I do higher chem too. have you done your assignment yet? the first time (when I went by the way silberberg did it) I did it I got 2, and the second time (when I just counted the electrons and if there was an even number I put it as diamagnetic, and if it was odd I put it as paramagnetic) I got 4. :confused:

routemarker

HSC
me freakin too i just dont get it i think the ca baffled me i did it 3 times i got 4 (buy dumb luck!) for the first, 3 for the second and 4 for the third. lets just hope that next week will be better. ill do my one on monday then post the question on here, then we can figure out the answer or how to do it b4 say wednesday.

routemarker

HSC
ok ive done my first attemt on assignment 3 and got 2/5.
the assignment is based on molecular structure and polarity.
you will be given a compound and you will have to choose one of these options given
- trigonal planar
- bent
- square planar
- trigonal bi pyramidal
- octohedral
- linear

and two of the compounds will have. you must chooose either
- polar
- non polar

post if you know how to do these questions if you already attempted it!!!

mannnnndy

chocoholic
I havent tried it yet, but if you have a look at the lecture notes done by the other higher chem lecturer, then they have a summerised description about molecular shape. I'll probably have a look at the assignment 2morrow, and I'll tell you how I go.

mannnnndy

chocoholic
I got 3 for my first attempt (do u know what its out of?) and these were my guesses;
SO2 - bent, non polar
XeF4 - tetrahedral, non polar
BF- - tetrahedral

routemarker

HSC
Originally posted by mannnnndy
I got 3 for my first attempt (do u know what its out of?) and these were my guesses;
SO2 - bent, non polar
XeF4 - tetrahedral, non polar
BF- - tetrahedral
i didn it again today and it was exactly like yours but mine had BF4-
my answers
SO2 - bent, polar
XeF4 - square planar , non polar
BF4- - tetrahedral

and i got 4 so i am very confused and i have only one shot left!
btw i have photocopied those lecture notes but i have been borrowing 3rd ed silberberg from the resources room but no avail. ill do my last attempt on friday.

mannnnndy

chocoholic
sorry, that was supposed to be BF4-
I thought I had it all worked out, but obviously not..... bloody assignments:chainsaw:

Last edited:

kini mini

HSC
I remember this stuff from Chem Olympiad in high school :p

I can't really remember how to do it now, but I do remember that Atkins had very good examples on how to work it out :). If all else fails, Aylward and Findlay have all the common ones listed ;).

routemarker

HSC
great news the assignment is extended into week 6. also Dr haines said that your si chem data book should have data on the shape of molecules

mannnnndy

chocoholic
Are u in Dr Haines' tute as well? Cause I am too. Well anyway we now know that the answer for XeF4 is square planar, non polar :D
I found out something interesting today, Rob is actually the head of the school of chemistry:eek: I did not see that one coming at all:p

routemarker

HSC
Are u in Dr Haines' tute as well? Cause I am too. Well anyway we now know that the answer for XeF4 is square planar, non polar :D
I found out something interesting today, Rob is actually the head of the school of chemistry:eek: I did not see that one coming at all:p
you didnt know that??? he said it in like the first lec. He was like if you have a complaint about anything you write to the head of school, which is me. but what threw me was that he is a PROFESSOR not a crapy Dr

about the polarity of xe that was my lost mark if i had said polar i could stop fretting bout this asess. damn you macs!!

routemarker

HSC
great news :cough: mid session exams are coming our way so remember to sign up for one of the time slots 1-2 or 5-6. I signed up for the 5-6 timeslot in Murry theatre since i know where it is and its the latest time

mannnnndy

chocoholic
Originally posted by routemarker

you didnt know that??? he said it in like the first lec. He was like if you have a complaint about anything you write to the head of school, which is me. but what threw me was that he is a PROFESSOR not a crapy Dr

about the polarity of xe that was my lost mark if i had said polar i could stop fretting bout this asess. damn you macs!!
I think I do remember him saying that he was the head of school, but it must not have stuck in my mind. Anyway now that I now what kind of a nut he is, Its a real shock :p

SoFTuaRiaL

I think I do remember him saying that he was the head of school, but it must not have stuck in my mind. Anyway now that I now what kind of a nut he is, Its a real shock :p
i went to a chem lecture with my friend, and i agree wif mannnnndy 100% - HE IS A NUTTY PROFESSOR!!!

routemarker

HSC
well heres the guys biography

Robert Norman Lamb

B.Sc. Ph.D. Melb., Ph.D. Camb.
Professor of Chemistry and Head of School
Director, Surface Science and Technology

E-mail: R.Lamb@unsw.edu.au

BIOGRAPHICAL DETAILS

Ph.D. (Chemistry) University of Melbourne (1984)
Ph.D. (Physics) University of Cambridge (1987)

RESEARCH INTERESTS

Surface studies of thin films and materials using a range of surface sensitive analytical techniques including X ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS), Secondary Ion Mass Spectroscopy (SIMS), Auger electron spectroscopy (AES), synchrotron X ray absorption Spectroscopy (XAS) and wettability (contact angle). Present areas of interest: Film growth of II-VI semiconductor thin films using single source CVD and applications in simple optical devices: Electronic structure of ferroelectric interfaces: fabrication and characterisation of polymeric thin films with applications in sensor and coatings technologies: surface chemistry of oxides and minerals and wool surface chemistry.

Surface and materials science. Particular emphasis is on the fabrication of molecular thin films (polymer, semiconductor, oxides and ferroelectric) and subsequent property characterization and application. This has involved nanoscale manipulation of the material properties through substrate induced structuring, novel interface chemistry and bulk nanoparticle crosslinking. These materials have subsequently been combined into applications such as environmentally protective coatings and simple device structures in photonics.

SELECTED PUBLICATIONS

Nanocrystalline order of ZnO Films grown on Optical Fibers, Lee E, Tran N H, Russell J and Lamb R, J.Appl.Physics, 92, 2996-2999 (2002)
Island Formation at the Initial Stages of ZnS Films Grown by Single Source Chemical Vapour Deposition, N.Tran and R.Lamb, J.Phys.Chem. B 106, 352-355 (2002)
Surface modification of polyimide films via plasma polymerization, Y.Zhang, E.Kang, K.Neoh, W.Huang, A.Huan, H.Zhang and R.Lamb, Polymer, 43, 7279-7288 (2002)
Fabrication of zinc oxide films on non planar substrates and the use thereof, M.Koch, ,L.Mar, P.Timbrell and R.Lamb, PCT No. WO 9850316 Int Appl.(1998)WO 98-AU326 Priority: AU 97-6635 (1997) 28pp
Hydrophobic coatings, R.Lamb, Z.Hua and C.Raston, PCT No. WO 9842452 Int. Appl. (1998) WO 98-AU185 Priority: AU 97-5789. (1997) 20pp

what a freak!!!!

mannnnndy

chocoholic
Originally posted by routemarker
what a freak!!!!
I thought of him as a freak b4 I read that:p Rob must really love zinc oxide, seeing as hes written so many books on it:rolleyes: I found out why he was promoting the chemical data book so much, it was written by a bunch of ppl from UNSW.:p

routemarker

HSC
i just looked at my SI databook for the first time since i bought itin week 1 and its great it has the structure for all compounds and heaps of data but not the polarity of the compounds :mad: .

so how are you feeling about this upcoming mid session exam? i am soooo not ready i think ill be jigging all my lecs and tutorials on wed so i can study till 4.30 in time for the 5pm test. the test will cover everything upto but not including nomenclature. its a heap to do and i also have a calculus test, phys quiz, bio tutorial test, chem comp asses. so much to do on week 7!!!!

Last edited:

mannnnndy

chocoholic
I know what u mean, its a bloody pain having all these assignments due at the same time. btw u forgot to mention maple :p. well I reckon it shouldnt be too hard to guess the polarity once you know the shape, but we only have to go as far as Rob's gone in the lectures, so if we dont get up to the hard stuff at the end it'll b better. I reckon we should distract Rob on wednesday to stop him getting up to the hard stuff;) At least its all going to be multiple guess, so there's a decent chance of getting it right:D

routemarker

HSC
OMG oh yea Ma-freakin-ple i think ill work on the problems on fri at home since i got a copy of maple 8 i downloaded. i havent eaves read my computing notes! I have no idea how im going to cope, i just dread thinking what end of session exams will be like :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)