CHEM1011 Diagnostic Test (1 Viewer)

Kittikhun

HSC
Right, so I haven't done HSC chem in three years, and I have forgotten almost everything I learnt about chem. I scored 1 out of 5 for my computer assignment in week 2 on the moles, and I'm getting really worried that I won't pass the diagnostic test. So, for anyone who has done it before what does it consist of so that I could study the right stuff and be prepared for it?

Thank you.

fizzbylightning

HSC
Uni Grad
I did it in Sem 1 and if I recall correctly, it's a multiple choice quiz. It's on pretty basic stuff (sorry I really don't remember) but I'm pretty sure it doesn't add to your mark in any way. It's just an indication for you as to whether you should do a more basic chemistry course or stick to 1A. The course coordinator might send you an email if you don't do too well in the diagnostic test. One thing with the computer assignments - I encourage you to ask someone random (yes..someone you don't know) for help because they are probably doing chemistry 1B or doing 1A with you and most people would be willing to help you out.

Kittikhun

HSC
Thanks for the reply.

I have a question about asking someone else for help though with the computer assignments. During the first lab, the lab tutor went on with stress about the severe 'ramifications' of stealing someone else's work, and I have to say that I was pretty scared of what she said. So, would that asking someone random for help in the computer lab be stealing on my part? I think there are cameras in Gibson. I don't want to mess someone else up (who is kind enough to help me) and myself.

Cheers.

fizzbylightning

HSC
Uni Grad
I am not so sure (don't want to give a definitive answer that might screw you over) about being penalised for working with someone for the computer assignments but for computer assignments, I often work with peers/help them out. Lots of people do it and no one has been marked down to my knowledge because it's in a more relaxed environment. The whole point of those computer assignments (worth 10% altogether I think?) is really to make sure that you understand the content. I did not realise there were cameras in the computer lab LOL!!! In terms of plagiarism, I think your lab instructor was talking more about using other peoples' results for lab report hand-ins.

Parvee

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
HSC
Thanks for the reply.

I have a question about asking someone else for help though with the computer assignments. During the first lab, the lab tutor went on with stress about the severe 'ramifications' of stealing someone else's work, and I have to say that I was pretty scared of what she said. So, would that asking someone random for help in the computer lab be stealing on my part? I think there are cameras in Gibson. I don't want to mess someone else up (who is kind enough to help me) and myself.

Cheers.
You get 3 attempts for each quiz and it only counts if you get 5/5 ( there are 12 quizzes and only 10 out of the 12 count towards the 10%)
For the computer assignments (quizzes) just look through the lecture notes to give you a good idea on how to go about answering the question.
If you get stuck just ask someone around you to give you a hand (most people will be happy to help you out) or just try googling it lol

And as for using someone else's work that means that you come to the lab with all the lab work already done (i.e. you copied someones work). In the lab you can ask the people around you for help, even the lab tutors practically give you the answers when you ask them for help :L

HSC
Uni Grad
Diagnostic test doesn't really matter - it tests your knowledge and itll be a good way to revise the stuff you already don't know, also it's good for exam technique practice :)

Although thing is, even if you really struggle the 2nd time doing the diagnostic test, then you'll need to consider as to whether if you should do chem 1A. I'm doing chemistry 1A atm and im barely scrapping through (coz i didnt do chem in high school and everything is brand new to me)

Last edited:

Kittikhun

HSC
Thanks for the reply, guys, :). Now onto this Rydberg equation thingy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)