Chemistry 100% working strategy? (1 Viewer)

TimeAndTide

Kage Bunshin No Jutsu
HSC
Lol. He's right, i used to be the worst in the class because i didn't study. But after i screwed up a couple of assessments, i went all out! What you do, is buy a textbook, read ahead from your class, so when your class does that topic, you'd already know it.

Heinz

The Musical Fruit
HSC
Study study... well you dont really have to do much of that. Just make sure you pay attention in class so you understand everything first time around, do all the homework set (so long as theyre syllabus related) and write your own dot point summaries for the theory component. It helps if you get all this done before trials. Your practicals should be organised in a prac book with the syllabus dot points at the top. Get your teacher to check your summary so that its accurate then keep read it once ever few weeks and then get to work with past papers. Probably only need 1-3 days to 'study' before exams. Of course, the more time the better but it isnt really necessary :)

ay_caramba

Crazily Sane.
HSC
Pay attention in class, and dont be afraid to go to the teacher after class and ask what the heck he/she was on abt..hehe in a politer way ofcourse
as u learn something new in class, see which dot point it corresponds to..and before exams, make sure u can do EVERY dotpoint
and ofcourse, as these smart ppl before me have said, STUDY :D

TimeAndTide

Kage Bunshin No Jutsu
HSC
In my opinion, you need more than 1-3 days before the exam to get high marks...because its not enough. 3 hours each day for 2 weeks is the minimum i reckon, because 'cramming' isn't very helpful.

tennille

HSC
After every lesson, revise the work you learnt that day (maybe only for 20 min) and make sure you understand it. If you understand the stuff then you're on your way to getting high results.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I approach it in a multitude of ways: reading ahead helps a lot, studying ahead helps even more, answering the dotpoints (in study notes) should be done within a week of learning a dotpoint in class (otherwise you'll have to carefully reread stuff to figure out what's going on, usually), and is pretty essential, IMHO.

Kazuya

keio 最高
HSC
Yeah writing out syllabus dotpoint summaries is the way to go. Do a bit each night though. I hardly ever wrote out notes during the year, so i spent two of the 3 weeks of stuvac doing whole syllabus summaries for physics and chem, which was a huge waste.

eleco

HSC
you could also try to find out which way you learn best, mine is visually, so i try to picture everything and draw diagrams. Others may remenber better if the read aloud...

iyamahobbit

Resident hobbit
HSC
Personally, i found it was impossible to keep up and consistently do work after *every* class -- the reason i was so lousy at maths -- but i don't think it's necessary for chemistry. If I were to do the hsc again (oh help me...plz no... ) I'd probably make sure i got a decent amount of time away from the books. My strategy this year was basically to give up everything i liked, even though that meant the time i did spend studying wasn't as effective as it might have been.

For chemistry, though, i reckon if you do dot point summaries (and i think it's *really* important to do your own, not read those of other ppl) and do past exam papers, you'll easily break 90.

If you want 100% -- good luck, but i reckon that's a lot to do with how well you go on the day, and if you get the questions you want. Of course, you can just study heaps harder...

For me - i did bits and pieces during the year, but i made the *real* ground at the end of stuvac. If you do a couple of hours a week over the course of the year, and listen in class, i rekcon you can cover the whole syllabus in about 4 days if you're efficient :)

billeh

HSC
Personally, if I'm struggling in a subject, for example, say I'm doing crap in Chemistry like you Jack, then I simply try harder in class, and constantly ask questions, even though they may seem stupid.

Last edited by a moderator:

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
jackanator87 said:
do any of you guys have any secrets or strategies that allow me to boost my mark in chemistry? i suck in it and i wanna get better without diluting my head with acid.
omg i really used to suck in chemistry in yr 11.................r u in yr 11?.........anyway i used to come last........................but in yr 12 i just concentrated really hard in class.......................bugged the teacher heaps with questions...............bought the HSC success book of past papers and bought the excel, made notes, memorised, kept up with all my lessons....................talked to myself alot to see if i understood concepts and then practiced alot of papers and now im first in my class............im so proud.........:)...............anyway moral of story............its takes dedication and a whole lot of practice

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
"Once you learn to appreciate its beauty, is when you will truly suceed"
- Li0n 2004

HSC
roughly term 1 and term 2 i did no chem work, infact no work in most classes because i was working 7 days a week till my iron levels went lower than iron than potassium iodate! (ho ho ho im a funny one)

and i picked up my study for chem, i bought spotlight chemistry, went ahead in studying and i got to a point where i could balance equations with acids as well, and teacher said we arent upto that so good work, i still havent been taught it yet but we're supposed too

so yeh i kicked my ranking up alot, and believe it or not, i grew from having hatred of the subject, to absoloutly loving it, no joke i go in and i love participating in it, everything in chem is interesting

grow an interest, and from then on you'll destroy it

Last edited:

*zara*

zozo2nv
HSC
N/A
There Is No 100 % Working Strategy... Well Atleast I Dont Think So ...in Yr 11 My Rank Was Pretty Good But My Mark Wasnt Too Good And Im Looking Forward To Fixing That Up So My Dad Bugged Me About Putting A Tutor And I Did And Im Gonna Buy Absolutely Every Text Book There Is On Chem( By The Way Excel Is Really Crap You Should Get "get Smart" ) My Sister Finished Her Hsc A Couple Of Weeks Ago So Im Starting To Read Through Her Notes That Are Summarised According To The Syllubus And Theyre Heaps Good So Summaries For One Thing Are Important, Studying Ahead, Trying Past Papers Or Just Having A Read Wen Your Bored But I Like The Idea Of Palm Cards That Have Key Words And Points And You Should Try Them And Keep Them In Your Bag And Alwsy Use Them To Test Yourself(have Questions On One Side And Answers On The Other) And In A Few Weeks Youll Know All The Key Points!!!!!!!!!!
Hope I Helped Good Luck

fush

HSC
The best way is to actually understand all the concepts and make sure it all makes sense in ur head, then its all about cramming the useless facts just before the exams :)

Researcher88

HSC
Watta head!

jackanator87 said:
do any of you guys have any secrets or strategies that allow me to boost my mark in chemistry? i suck in it and i wanna get better without diluting my head with acid.
I think you mean "without dissolving your head in acid"

To get better try and like the topic and be interested.

tristan88

HSC
1. Experiment with different methods of learning/study. eg, Talking to yourself, drawing diagrams, making timelines.
2. Develop an interest in the subject/motivation. If you aren't interested then you aren't going remember anything or much at all. As you know, with your own hobbies, you develop quite a knowledge base over time because you actually have a genuine interest.
3. Dot-point summaries/covering syllabus before it's taught. So when it comes to doing the topics, you already know it and is then being re-inforced.
4. Revise consistently over the year. Exposing yourself to material covered earlier in the year over the the entire course. Instead of your knowledge being housed in your short-term memory (cramming), by repetition, it will become long-term.

I made a conscious effort to find out what the secrets are, this year, by experimenting with different learning/revision techniques myself. A lot of it has already been said by others in the post. In the end, you know yourself better than anyone, and only you can decide which is best for you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)