chemistry of art (1 Viewer)

cameron0110

HSC
Ok here is my take on the whole issue. Bohr's assumptions were that the subshells at one distinct energy level all contained the same energy. i.e. 2s was the same energy as 2p, which it was for Hydrogen however this didn't work for other elements because of Schroedinger's uncertainty principle which stated that we can't identify where an electron is, we can only work out the probability of it being in a certain location. The 2s shell has a small probability of being in close to the nucleus while the 2p doesn't really have the same level of probability which means that the 2s shell partially shields the 2p shell from nuclear charge. This means that 2s is held closer to the nucleus while 2p is further out meaning they possess different energy levels.

Due to the magnetic field possessed by electrons caused by their rotations and spin, the 2p subshell in Sodium splits with 2 orbitals being at one energy level and 1 at a slightly different energy level. The energy released from 2p to 2s in sodium is at a yellow wavelength and the subtle energy difference results in the doublet as there is only a very small difference in energies so they have similar wavelengths leading to the creation of the Sodium doublet. I'm sorry about any innaccuracies in that and if anyone knows better than can correct me cause that was just off the top of my head so I've probably got something wrong.

cameron0110

HSC
Ok here is my take on the whole issue. Bohr's assumptions were that the subshells at one distinct energy level all contained the same energy. i.e. 2s was the same energy as 2p, which it was for Hydrogen however this didn't work for other elements because of Schroedinger's uncertainty principle which stated that we can't identify where an electron is, we can only work out the probability of it being in a certain location. The 2s shell has a small probability of being in close to the nucleus while the 2p doesn't really have the same level of probability which means that the 2s shell partially shields the 2p shell from nuclear charge. This means that 2s is held closer to the nucleus while 2p is further out meaning they possess different energy levels.

Due to the magnetic field possessed by electrons caused by their rotations and spin, the 2p subshell in Sodium splits with 2 orbitals being at one energy level and 1 at a slightly different energy level. The energy released from 2p to 2s in sodium is at a yellow wavelength and the subtle energy difference results in the doublet as there is only a very small difference in energies so they have similar wavelengths leading to the creation of the Sodium doublet. I'm sorry about any innaccuracies in that and if anyone knows better than can correct me cause that was just off the top of my head so I've probably got something wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)