Chemistry Question (1 Viewer)

Shipway73

HSC
Can i get someone to explain to me about why the importance of water's ability to absorb heat to aquatic organisms? I feel like what i have so far doesn't really explain it.

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
Can i get someone to explain to me about why the importance of water's ability to absorb heat to aquatic organisms? I feel like what i have so far doesn't really explain it.
Main thing is that it limits the temperature fluctuations in the water itself.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Main thing is that it limits the temperature fluctuations in the water itself.
This. On a related note, temperature affects things like solubility of oxygen. If the temperature of water changed as much as air, the amount of oxygen could range from very high to very low, killing organisms. Further, temperature will affect rate of chemical reactions in an organism.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
In this question, I think you'll need to refer to water having a high specific heat capacity and the role of water on earth

Water has a high specific heat capacity

It is able to absorb large amounts of heat energy without a significant change in temperature. Marine organisms are protected from extreme temperature fluctuation and insulator in cells and bodies o protect living organisms from drastic temperature changes

Role of water on earth

Water serves as a habitat for many aquatic organisms. Furthermore it provides a thermal buffer to resist large temperature fluctuations

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)