Chemistry vs. Biology vs. Physics (1 Viewer)

wangg

HSC
Hi guys! I'm in Year 10 2014, going into Year 11 2015. I've picked out most of the subjects I wish to do next year, but I'm just a bit stumped on the sciences! I know for one I will pick Chemistry as its a topic I've enjoyed in Science through junior years. For Physics, I've been doing pretty well for it in terms of Year 10 work, but I've flicked through textbooks for preliminary and the maths in it just looks out of this world and I'm afraid I won't be able to get anything or handle it. So the toss is between physics and biology! What is each subject like and how do their methods of learning/study differ from each other?

In reference to the title, I don't mean I have trouble picking from Chemistry as well, but I mean to ask for it as a comparison against everything else in terms of its coursework and methods etc, as Biology and Physics are the ones I am debating over.

Thank you so much!

Last edited:

photastic

HSC
In terms of content, Physics has the least whereas Biology has the most.
In terms of calculations, Physics has the most whereas Biology has barely, although in the HSC exam, Physics and Chemistry are equals.

Do not fall the trap about maths is physics. In physics, it's about applying the formulas and combining the theory behind it tbh. If you know how to sub in numbers and rearrange equations, this is all you need in Physics and only this. I don't do Biology but it seems it has a massive load of content to remember. Many find Chemistry the hardest because it is a combination of massive content combined with applications.

In general, Science is the hardest after 4 unit mathematics. The content can be quite challenging but it's really the quantity.

Last edited:

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
Biology, chemistry, physics is majority rote learning. Biology being the most rote learning subject - physics - chemistry, however chemistry and physics theories can often be derived from some other theory learnt before a that theory so there is a cyclical stucture occuring, hence there isnt as much memorising as biology. With the issues of maths, i've seen people do well with 4u maths and physics; why? because they understand the formula. Its all about understanding the formulas and subbing the values in given but often people have trouble seeing what is given and apply the correct formula.

Chemistry for me is kind of in between physics and biology - but between physics and biology, i'd choose physics BECAUSE the content is similar to 3u maths; in that the content may be smaller than say 2u mathematics but it goes in more depth or could go into more depth.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
From a lot of my friends who did HSC biology, it is predominantly rote-learning the content. The maths in physics is not as intense as you think it is, it really is only very few formulas which by practising questions you will be familiar with. I think the more important question to ask it which subject content are you more interested in learning and perhaps consider what potential areas of science you wish to go into. You can have a broader idea of this by reading through the relevant syllabi of each subject for preliminary and HSC which is available on the BOSTES website. In many ways, chemistry complements either science subjects-so pick the one you think you are willing to put the most effort in:)

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
I did biology and I truly regret it. Should have done a better scaling science.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Phys is pretty straight forward with content and formulae. Chemistry is more or less the same and bio is useless

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
From what I've experienced myself or heard from others:

Biology: Heaps of memorising in regards to certain things and their functions (it usually involves heaps of rote learning)

Physics: A lot of calculations and questions that will require you to have a solid understanding of the concepts behind it

QZP

HSC
My opinions:

Biology - The rote subject that requires a lot of memory. I didn't do it.
Chemistry - Year 11: Conceptual, logical. Year 12: Geared towards real-life aspects of chemistry and hence more rote. Not so much conceptual, logical.
Physics - Year 11: Conceptual, logical. Year 12: Less rote than chem. Still somewhat conceptual, logical.

So what type of person are you? ;)

iStudent

HSC
I hated biology in prelims. it's still a science subject so marking guidelines will still be super tough and yet it's not compensated because it scales low. (this is what I think anyways). content is much much easier all you have to do is memorise and apply. between chemistry and physics, I liked both but physics you don't have to memorise as much (and you have more calculations).
tbh, do physics if science is your strong subject (or go with all 3 and drop one the one you didn't do as well in, like me :p)

wangg

HSC
Hey guys and thanks for all the responses!
To put it in perspective, I'm definitely not one to enjoy rote learning, as I find using formulae or concepts is much more fun. Seeing as how Biology tends to be one of those subjects, it does make Physics appeal a lot more - as hard as it may seem right now with all those crazy long working outs I see in textbooks. I've decided to go with what you guys have been suggesting and take up Physics, and try my absolute best to tackle down those concepts, as what would really be the point of doing Biology if I personally find it boring as hell right?

Once again, thank you all for your input. Much appreciated!

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys and thanks for all the responses!
To put it in perspective, I'm definitely not one to enjoy rote learning, as I find using formulae or concepts is much more fun. Seeing as how Biology tends to be one of those subjects, it does make Physics appeal a lot more - as hard as it may seem right now with all those crazy long working outs I see in textbooks. I've decided to go with what you guys have been suggesting and take up Physics, and try my absolute best to tackle down those concepts, as what would really be the point of doing Biology if I personally find it boring as hell right?

Once again, thank you all for your input. Much appreciated!
The working out in Physics textbooks is usually a lot longer than what is required-once you are familiar with the problems, the working out can become shorter because you learn to combine equations and generally take a smarter approach to tackling problems:) Don't be scared by what you haven't learnt about yet-you have an entire year to learn one textbook-it is not an overnight thing-you will be fine if you put the consistent effort in:)

Fiction

HSC
Its good that you're going with chem, it's a really worthwhile subject. Really straight-forward, and yes there are some bits (especially hsc course) that requires rote learning but honestly if you go over the content enough times you won't even have to bother with that.
Physics is good in terms of less theory to actually memorise, but don't think that you don't have to rote at all because you do, if you want to do well. Also, contrary to popular belief, it actually has virtually no 'hard' calculations, literally just rearranging formulas. Imo the hard part about physics is actually the applied theory questions, because sometimes rote doesn't serve you well enough and actually going through the concepts can be demanding depending on how interested you are in the subject.

I don't do bio but it seems to be a subject people either really really love or really really hate. The prelim course is apparently boring as hell and I think that's why so many people at my school dropped, but hsc is supposed to be good from what I hear :)
If it helps, I do bio and there's alot of memorising (unsurprisingly). Take a look at the syllabus and see if there's any topic that interests you. So far the prelim course has been like animal kingdoms, naming/classifying species, animal and plant cells + their functions, stuff like that. I have a friend who's waiting for the topic disease + microorganisms to come up because that's the only part that she loves. Bio is definitely not the most intelligence-straining subject but like every other subject, you have to study to do well :)

The prelim course is getting better haha xD

hit patel

HSC
Uni Grad
From a lot of my friends who did HSC biology, it is predominantly rote-learning the content. The maths in physics is not as intense as you think it is, it really is only very few formulas which by practising questions you will be familiar with. I think the more important question to ask it which subject content are you more interested in learning and perhaps consider what potential areas of science you wish to go into. You can have a broader idea of this by reading through the relevant syllabi of each subject for preliminary and HSC which is available on the BOSTES website. In many ways, chemistry complements either science subjects-so pick the one you think you are willing to put the most effort in:)
In terms of content, Physics has the least whereas Biology has the most.
In terms of calculations, Physics has the most whereas Biology has barely, although in the HSC exam, Physics and Chemistry are equals.

Do not fall the trap about maths is physics. In physics, it's about applying the formulas and combining the theory behind it tbh. If you know how to sub in numbers and rearrange equations, this is all you need in Physics and only this. I don't do Biology but it seems it has a massive load of content to remember. Many find Chemistry the hardest because it is a combination of massive content combined with applications.

In general, Science is the hardest after 4 unit mathematics. The content can be quite challenging but it's really the quantity.
My opinions:

Biology - The rote subject that requires a lot of memory. I didn't do it.
Chemistry - Year 11: Conceptual, logical. Year 12: Geared towards real-life aspects of chemistry and hence more rote. Not so much conceptual, logical.
Physics - Year 11: Conceptual, logical. Year 12: Less rote than chem. Still somewhat conceptual, logical.

So what type of person are you? ;)
^ These together answer question perfectly.

baileydavis7

HSC
N/A
Hey man, i do all three of those sciences that you said. I found that throughout the course (im heading into the last term of yr 11 now) that physics can be very challenging but rewarding, although if i was to choose between physics or biology i would choose biology, why? because even though there is alot of content involved within the course, it is relatively easy to understand and comprehend if you pay attention during class and do regular revision. Good luck with deciding brother just thought i would give you my opinion on them!

d-alarmclock

HSC
I do physics and chemistry. Personally, I adored prelim chemistry - starting to hate hsc chemistry. Chemistry, towards the end 2 modules becomes rote learning.
I hated prelim physics (Except space) and adore hsc physics. Physics is understanding concepts

MrTammoth

HSC
I only choose science subjects that you think you can handle well with! In my scenario at the moment i am not even barely passing my PHYSICS because i absolutely hate it! It is the worse subject that i could have ever picked. I only chose it because it SCALES SO WELL (yes it does indeed ONLY IF U DO WELL). Totally regret picking physics and i don't want this to happen to my babies aka YOU. So please deeply suggest what subjects u have a passion for. I was so stupid picking PHYSICS over MUSIC, i was soo dumb :(. Wishing right now that i could turn back time. Always pick the subject that you are very good at and also that you enjoy doing. Stop telling yourself that you will do so well in that subject because you think "you'll do so well and put so much hard work". So please put some thought into the subjects you LOVE DOING AND ARE GOOD AT IT IT"S ONLY A YEAR YOU"LL BE WORKING YOU MOFO ASS OFF!

Also i absolutely love doing chemistry it's the best subject! As long as you have a passion :))))))))))))))))))))))))) ( yes i'm so fat i have 26 flabs of fat hanging under my chin).
Appreciate.
Kthxbai.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)