Chess thread (1 Viewer)

ladiesman217_

(V)(°,,°)(V)
HSC
Re: Chess thread?

Academia if I am good enough mate. Wouldn't have started one if I didn't intend to go that route :).
would you consider working in applied mathematics? specifically in theoretical (mathematical) neuroscience and molecular biology?

seanieg89

HSC

would you consider working in applied mathematics? specifically in theoretical (mathematical) neuroscience and molecular biology?
Pretty unlikely. Am not a huge fan of applied mathematics in general, but nothing is impossible...my tastes may change over time. Right now most of my work is in abstract harmonic analysis, some of it being remotely of interest to quantum physicists. That's the nearest thing to an application of my work.

Last edited:

ladiesman217_

(V)(°,,°)(V)
HSC

Pretty unlikely. Am not a huge fan of applied mathematics in general, but nothing is impossible...my tastes may change over time. Right now most of my work is in abstract harmonic analysis, some of it being remotely of interest to quantum physicists. That's the nearest thing to an application of my work.
fair enough

are you interested in topology or number theory?

ladiesman217_

(V)(°,,°)(V)
HSC

fair enough

are you interested in topology or number theory?

seanieg89

HSC

Analytic number theory is one of my favourite areas of mathematics and something I may return to one day. Topology is interesting in that it sort of underpins much of analysis, I don't know any particularly advanced topology though beyond a one semester grad course in algebraic topology, which was pretty sexy but not something I intend to ever focus on.

seanieg89

HSC

I take it you study some kind of mathematics at uni?

ladiesman217_

(V)(°,,°)(V)
HSC

I take it you study some kind of mathematics at uni?
no not specifically. I mean I study neuroscience, comp sci and finance at uni and all of them entails a great deal of mathematics, but really my interest in maths is extracurricular.

I guess I just read a lot and sometimes I feel like i'm doing 5 degrees at once lol

seanieg89

HSC

no not specifically. I mean I study neuroscience, comp sci and finance at uni and all of them entails a great deal of mathematics, but really my interest in maths is extracurricular.

I guess I just read a lot and sometimes I feel like i'm doing 5 degrees at once lol
Ah right, that makes some sense. Very happy to hear that you read this sort of stuff out of interest though (I guess it is a fairly painful area to read if you aren't interested!), too many people confine themselves to their field and don't ever bother to expand their mind. (I am guilty of this some times!).

ladiesman217_

(V)(°,,°)(V)
HSC

Ah right, that makes some sense. Very happy to hear that you read this sort of stuff out of interest though (I guess it is a fairly painful area to read if you aren't interested!), too many people confine themselves to their field and don't ever bother to expand their mind. (I am guilty of this some times!).
yea i know what you mean. I have a mild disdain for academic 'specilisation" and often times I find my degree too constricting.

it was great talking to you it's not that often that I get to talk to someone who shares my interest in maths.

seanieg89

HSC

Thanks man, likewise. I actually meet a fair few people with similar interests to me through uni, but outside of that its pretty rare.

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC

@Seanieg, you ready for chess? I'm ready now.

seanieg89

HSC

Yep, can we pick and stick to a time limit? How long do you feel like?

btx3

HSC
Uni Grad

anyone up for a game

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)