• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

China banned Ugly girl and forced cute girl to Lip Synch (2 Viewers)

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Snaykew said:
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that most people avoid significantly more stable and secure software like Linux and Firefox. Although Firefox is creeping up. Most users probably have no idea what Linux is.
Linux market share is following a consistent linear growth rate (it's at something like 3% at the moment) and Microsoft has repeatedly expressed concern about open source software replacing it. Personally, I've now fully migrated to Ubuntu and I wouldn't go back (the dual-boot rarely gets used except for gaming, which is also catching up).

Sure, most people don't know what linux is, but most IT monkeys do so you've got problems when places like banks are using Windows for critical systems and servers because it just shows how clueless they are.

As for Firefox... eh what? Firefox market share in Australia is something like 40%, similar for Europe (50% in some countries and 30% overall), and it's about 25% in America and Canada. Meanwhile Asia and Africa have about 10% adoption, and this is a trend that's generally true for all open source in Asia (including India somewhat).

Just personally, at both TAFE and university, about 3/4 of students I've met use Firefox, while the others are generally happy to switch once you tell them about it.

For those who don't use it or know what it is, go here: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

And I found this pretty hilarious:

Anyway, way to hijack the thread Slidey.

Last edited:

Snaykew

:)
HSC
N/A
Slidey said:
As for Firefox... eh what? Firefox market share in Australia is something like 40%, similar for Europe (50% in some countries and 30% overall), and it's about 25% in America and Canada. Meanwhile Asia and Africa have about 10% adoption, and this is a trend that's generally true for all open source in Asia (including India somewhat).
Hence "most".

Evilo

HSC
Slidey said:
That said, I saw a BSOD on a Commonwealth ATM the other day. I strongly caution people not to hold an account with the Commonwealth bank.
Because that one ATM stores ALL of our account details and money... ;)

I'm with St George.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Evilo said:
Because that one ATM stores ALL of our account details and money...
It stores some account details and some money. Certainly enough to make Windows a very poor choice of operating system.

Evilo

HSC
Not really, all the account details are on an encrypted server at the bank. When you insert your card, and enter the pin, the details are not stored in the atm, but are immediatly sent to the 'bank' server through SSL.

tbh if the atm happens to crash while you are using it, the keypad and screen would lock down while the computer boots up. The bank server would not recieve a message that the money was given out, and therefore the person would not be charged. Despite the fact the OS may not be fantastic, they're pretty much fool proof. I personally know one of the people who designed the whole accounting system for st george - they've looked at everything.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automated_teller_machine

Dr.Chau

Banned
HSC
Miles Edgeworth said:
Your pin is stored as an encrypted 4 bit hash on your ATM card. If you lose your wallet, change your pin, because someone with stripesnoop can rip the pin off any card and clean your account out pretty damn fast.
i lost my wallet, and my key card was in there but I haven't bothered to change my pin, nor have i cancelled my card (i've got -$45 in there) and now i'm secretly hoping that the person who found my wallet keeps my card, and after two years, decides that the card is no longer in use, hijack it, and then start depositing money into my account. :rolleyes:

i'll be waiting.

Dr.Chau

Banned
HSC
katie tully said:
You know where to find me!
My bed, My house, My suburb, My State, My country?

God, I've gotta get back to study.

FUCK OFF! STOP DISTRACTING ME!

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Slidey said:
It stores some account details and some money. Certainly enough to make Windows a very poor choice of operating system.
It stores some money... I really don't know about details, I think it'd probably just have a list of transaction #'s with some info which you would then need to correspond with the server's information to get the real info. If you lost your money by some hacker it'd just be like if someone robbed your local bank.

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
Ms. BRIGHTSIDE said:
Personally I think China should have had Nikki Webster to perform.
^lol.

i think the crooked teeth are part of the girls cute charm. shes not ugly.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Applikation said:
Sounds like those Chinese officials were the only ones with enough balls to stand up to that crooked teeth slut.
lolin

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Enteebee said:
It stores some money... I really don't know about details, I think it'd probably just have a list of transaction #'s with some info which you would then need to correspond with the server's information to get the real info. If you lost your money by some hacker it'd just be like if someone robbed your local bank.
The point I am getting at is that's it's poor security to use a common operating system with a huge list of security flaws on any semi-critical system. It doesn't matter whether you can recoup the loss or repay your client, it's a fucking bad idea to be using Windows at a bank. Heavens only hopes that their actual serves are running some custom UNIX box or similar.

As for Evilo's defence of ATM security: I'm aware ATMs are secure. Of course, such security is compromised when you blast to the world that your ATMs, and thus probably other core systems, are running Microsoft Windows, and all the security faults and vulnerabilities that go with it.

It just amazes me that a bank, which you'd expect to take all possible security precautions instead has an "some is good enough" attitude.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Slidey said:
The point I am getting at is that's it's poor security to use a common operating system with a huge list of security flaws on any semi-critical system. It doesn't matter whether you can recoup the loss or repay your client, it's a fucking bad idea to be using Windows at a bank. Heavens only hopes that their actual serves are running some custom UNIX box or similar.

As for Evilo's defence of ATM security: I'm aware ATMs are secure. Of course, such security is compromised when you blast to the world that your ATMs, and thus probably other core systems, are running Microsoft Windows, and all the security faults and vulnerabilities that go with it.

It just amazes me that a bank, which you'd expect to take all possible security precautions instead has an "some is good enough" attitude.
Do you believe these are customer security concerns?

http://www.zdnet.com.au/blogs/secur...-on-ATMs-stupid-/0,139033343,339288423,00.htm

Actually I'm wrong, turns out they weigh up security concerns against brand image concerns and decide it's better to have a nice brand image.

Last edited:

Applikation

HSC
Sounds like those Chinese officials were the only ones with enough balls to stand up to that crooked teeth slut.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)