paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
leetom said:
1. Little Red Book.

2. .....

Hi CB.

l

Yep, from trees to a whole Oriental submission to Western cannon. That's how we are in the West.

Cannons are better than poetry, making Western culture superieur.
<3 waf, you rock, even though I didn't agree with any of what you said.
xayma, the correct pinyin is 'zi', tzu is the westernised version. like how they managed to transform sun zhong shan into sun yat sen. or maybe he had an alias, I dunno.
leetom I'm disappointed in you :(...that wasn't literature, but propaganda.

1. dream of red mansions (hong lou meng)
2. works of lu xun - 'the biography of Ah Q' etc
3. xi you ji - record of travels out west, that is the tales of sun wu kong
4. Li Bai's poetry
5. Bai Yi Ju's poetry

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
cherryblossom said:
leetom I'm disappointed in you :(...that wasn't literature, but propaganda.
Thats the first book that comes to mind and he wonders why he was called a commie by neo_o.

Cherryblossom, the main problem with that, is that English literature has been published far more. By the time of mass production of paper works was out, China wasn't the power it once was relative to the West. Can you name 5 works of Indian literature? What's the bet the first one is Kama Sutra?

Considering that has a similar population to China. Just an interesting exercise in that people only focus on places they view as important. Westerners traditionally don't view China as a relatively high important place as the Chinese consider the Western world.

Last edited:
cherryblossom said:
<3 waf, you rock, even though I didn't agree with any of what you said.
xayma, the correct pinyin is 'zi', tzu is the westernised version. like how they managed to transform sun zhong shan into sun yat sen. or maybe he had an alias, I dunno.
zhong shan is the name of the place sun came from or lived or something... sorta like.. da vinci...?

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
china seems to have a much richer culture in terms of their arts and all that imperial history and stuff, but i dunno, it sort of seems like the communist regime fucked it up, like they dont really allow/support religion and stuff, and i heard somewhere that any artworks or publications have to reflect communist ideals...so i think perhaps that the west doesnt understand china or its culture because it has been screwed with by the communists, plus all their art and religion and that goes way back further than ours... the west didnt really have any communication with china up til the 19th century...but then again i could be way off, seeing as i know next to nothing about china

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
James_Brown said:
Ive got one word for you Tibet!
i've another: Woomera.

and i'll throw Baxter in for good measure.

ohhh... maybe just one more... Villawood :)

or howabout this, from our peace-loving, freedom-loving, democratic, 'bill of rights'-equipped ally; Guantanamo Bay! :)

gosh i love hypocrisy..

James_Brown

HSC
Hey im not sayin were great either if you read my post on red neck australia youll see i aint Aus and US biggest fans

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Mr Brown i did read your other thread.

it really leaves a dull taste in my mind when all westerners come up with when i ask a simple question, "what think you of china?", they reply, falun gong, or human rights abuse, tiananmen square, or censorship, or taiwan, or communism, or other abuses such as those. yet they lack the knowledge of positives also, like strong economic development, membership into WTO, the next olympics in 2008, privatisation of businesses etc.

my main mode of complaint is this: if some countries neglect to address their own human rights abuses, what right have they to comment on others? what right has Condoleezza Rice to complain of human rights abuses in China when she does not have to look so far to see the abuses in Camp X-Ray or Abu Ghraib?

four words: fucking ignorant. fucking hypocrites.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Hang on, is there any real point in criticising someone for merely responding to the call to describe how they see China and to try and explain how this point of view has been formed through various representations (be they 'true' or 'false')?

Just for the record, you cannot just call someone (or a country in general) a hypocrite or label them as being ignorant when they make note of human rights abuses in China when they may well be highly critical of their own government in that regard. Your all westerners point is a pathetic generalisation, too.

Edit: Try not to criticise those for merely responding to the request.

Last edited:

dimzi

OMGWTFBBQ
HSC
China, its like none other, so complex yet so fucked up.

But yeah, their economic growth so far is completely unsustainable, if the government doesnt do something fast, then all the growth over the past few years will be irrelevant, then down goes the Aus economy cause we wont be exporting as much crap to them, oh well.

Politically i get the feeling that they want to become more capitalistic and westernised, but just hold back because the communists want to remain in control. And frigid, defending them by saying that who wouldnt not want to be in control is just stupid. Everyone deserves the right to have a choice in who runs their country, as it effects them more than the little kims in the big city who really are big brother.

China has always been a closed country, in the societies sense, and they just cant overcome it.

Just thank god that their military has no projection power!!!

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
Generator said:
Hang on, is there any real point in criticising someone for merely responding to the call to describe how they see China and to try and explain how this point of view has been formed through various representations (be they 'true' or 'false')?

Just for the record, you cannot just call someone (or a country in general) a hypocrite or label them as being ignorant when they make note of human rights abuses in China when they may well be highly critical of their own government in that regard. Your all westerners point is a pathetic generalisation, too.

Edit: Try not to criticise those for merely responding to the request.
oh thank you thank you generator, could we all please get back to the topic? more focus on why and how...probably my own fault for not explaining it well enough.

matthew there are some really great points...but I have to say I disagree with some of them. china is important to the west, more than it realises. india has a substantially smaller population than china. the reason I picked out that exercise was to demonstrate my pt - that the west understands china less than china does the west. as for the comments on literature...I was more or less referring to the culture and society of ancient china. I'll google something for you - or else go to the cctv international site. heard of fan zhong yan?
'xian tian xia zi you er you, hou tian xia zi le er le.'

I'm not doubting there are problems...but the thing is there is no other way for china to go - with such a huge nation, population wise, implementing any kind of change would be centuries in coming - and right now the CCP is, not doing a perfect job, but it's trying - you couldn't expect a 3 year old to write an essay on ted hughes could you? ....and the one party thing....I know it sounds really bad and undemocratic but could you imagine the civil instability that would occur if a rebellion succeeded ? not to mention that there's not enough support for one anyway.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
*bump*

Edit: if you don't have anything valid to contribute please don't. k thx bye!!!1111 :rolleyes:
neo what was this for?

Last edited:

Arvin Sloane

We are not amused.
HSC
cherryblossom said:
oh I know Xayma, you're intellectual. :p

here, lets do a test. can anyone here (can't be chinese) name five works of Chinese literature. doesn't have to be in chinese, can be a translation.

then we'll get a fob to name 5 works of western literature :D
  • Sun Tzu, Art of War.
  • Gao Xingjian, Soul Mountain
  • Luo Guanzhong, Romance of Three Kingdoms
  • Unknown, Thirty-Six Strategies
  • Cao Xueqin, A Dream of Red Mansions

What do I win?

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
haha, i couldn't name one.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Arvin Sloane said:
  • Sun Tzu, Art of War.
  • Gao Xingjian, Soul Mountain
  • Luo Guanzhong, Romance of Three Kingdoms
  • Unknown, Thirty-Six Strategies
  • Cao Xueqin, A Dream of Red Mansions

What do I win?

The 36 Strategies are a collection of strategies from various sources from Ancient China, dating from what is believed to be about 1500 years ago.

comeasyouare

HSC
N/A
Frigid said:
i've another: Woomera.

and i'll throw Baxter in for good measure.

ohhh... maybe just one more... Villawood :)

or howabout this, from our peace-loving, freedom-loving, democratic, 'bill of rights'-equipped ally; Guantanamo Bay! :)

gosh i love hypocrisy..
If China's just as good, why don't emigrants from Asia go there instead of Australia? I mean it is closer by and all...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)