Choice of optional topic (1 Viewer)

jackleung34

HSC
Hey guys, I have a choice between Medical Physics or Q to Q, which one should i do? Opinions?

Kaido

be.
HSC
In the HSC, you can do w/e you want. My teacher is going to teach medical, i'll prob do Q2Q rofl

Kaido

be.
HSC
Q2Q is more fun imo, medical seems like bio rote

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
You're gonna get rekt. If you write your chosen topic in trials then I don't think you'll get marks unless your teacher approves tbh

Do whatever you want in the actual hsc exam though

keepLooking

HSC
Our teacher's chosen medical physics and we also have a few just doing Q2Q by themselves.

You want to let your teacher know though, what if a 8 marker appears at the end of trials for medical and there's no questions for Q2Q?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Medical physics is actually a far easier option topic than quanta to quarks-there are quite a few concepts in quanta to quarks that are more suitable for university level studies than HSC-true experience-I learnt some parts of quanta to quarks in first year uni chem

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Only diverge if your teacher and head of faculty approves of it. By approves I mean as in there is no issue with assessment tasks specific to an option, they will let you sit a different option for trials, agree to mark different options fairly for all students using an appropriate marking rubric for all assessments (including trials) and then you have the get go to do it for final exam.

Otherwise, if either one doesn't approve, then you should avoid doing something different as it might lead to complications later on in terms of marking for trials and any other assessments.

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
Medical physics is actually a far easier option topic than quanta to quarks-there are quite a few concepts in quanta to quarks that are more suitable for university level studies than HSC-true experience-I learnt some parts of quanta to quarks in first year uni chem
Can confirm

If you choose Quanta to Quarks you're marks will also be compared to selective and private schools because they tend to do the mainstream options which are Astrophysics and Quanta to Quarks. Consequently, a lot of people doing those options will perform well, hence raising the standards, and making it hard for people from other schools to compete.

photastic

HSC
Can confirm

If you choose Quanta to Quarks you're marks will also be compared to selective and private schools because they tend to do the mainstream options which are Astrophysics and Quanta to Quarks. Consequently, a lot of people doing those options will perform well, hence raising the standards, and making it hard for people from other schools to compete.
After 2008 Medical Physics has been the 2nd most popular and selective schools like Hurlstone do it as well. Also astrophysics is the worst thing ever yo learn anyway, piece of ****!!

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
After 2008 Medical Physics has been the 2nd most popular and selective schools like Hurlstone do it as well. Also astrophysics is the worst thing ever yo learn anyway, piece of ****!!
gg no re to me then :/

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Can confirm

That's not how scaling of individual options works though.

Each option module is scaled based upon how the people doing that option performed in the other 75 marks of the exam. Then each option module cohort is scaled relative to each other based on the performance in the common sections with all students.

This is the same method that is used to calculate scaled aggregates of subjects against English, which is commonly done by every student sitting the HSC that is eligible for an ATAR.

As always, the scaling is done afresh every year.

iforgotmyname

Metallic Oxide
HSC
It really depends on what you prefer to learn and whether if you teacher approves of self-studying or not

But then again if you do chemistry, Q2Q is preferred because a majority of this module is essentially an extension of nuclear chemistry in production of material.

I am not very sure about Medical but heard there is a lot of analysing MRI scans or something

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)