choosing higher math and higher computing. (1 Viewer)

Capulet

UNSW rulz!
can anyone kindly explain to me what advantages i get for choosing the higher math and higher computing rather than the normal ones?

the higher ones are harder, it requires a combined HSC math x1 and x2 mark of 186 at least to do it (recommanded). i got a combined of 188, but im failing to see why i would have to learn something thats harder when it wont make a difference. they both count for 6 credits.

Mill

HSC
MATH1151 is maths for actuarial studies and finance. If you aren't doing actuarial studies and finance, there is really no point in you doing it.

aspect

well you might find the harder courses more interesting or you might like to learn a bit more.. seeing as you are choosing that area for your career, if you can handle learning a bit more, it can only help

also they give out a larger proportion of HD's and D's in higher courses then in standard ones

sunny

meh.
HSC
If you a motivated person - there are more reasons to do it - you're in a smaller class, with other people who chose to do a harder subject.

I know several people doing binf and they did higher maths in first year and are all fine - but it doesn't guarantee you a higher mark.

kaseita

for some subjects, u may need at least higher math in order to do them (that subject would normally be a higher form of the normal subject, so if u don't do higher math, u can still do that subject...just not the higher form)

apart from that, its only for interest sake, or maybe a lil prestige (not much)

ace

is retired
HSC
The difference between Higher Maths and Maths. The syllabus is about ~60% the same. 40% is then different. Though higher maths is rather just an extension on normal maths.

When people say it gives out a higher porportion of HD and D's, have you considered the canditutre of the higher maths class, most people who do it, have had a good knowledge of 4 unit before they start. And it is usually the top crop that does it.

You can do it if you want, but if you fail, don't expect anything to come of it.

In the end, its up to you if you want to pick math1131 or math1141, but use the recommendations, because you do not want to over-exert yourself in the first year, that may hinder other subjects performance.

Ace

Mill

HSC
Haha you can't over exert yourself in first year no matter how hard you try. It's fairly basic.

ace

is retired
HSC
Some people may not get used to the transition.
Also you can overload, thus doing more work.

These two things can contirbute to being over-exerted.

mp3mojo

higher computing is definately worth doing, Richard is the best lecturer u'll ever get!! though the assignments in higher comp is ALOT ALOT harder than the regular comp, but its so rewarding when u get it 2 work :) :)

in the lectures u get a 2-3 min break every 10 min!!! there's also alot more of those little suprises 4 u hehehee :)

if u find it 2 hard, u can always drop it half way, i actually dropped it the day b4 the 2nd / 3rd assignment was due for higher comp - got so sick & tired of the trains, it was seriously a nightmare :S :S or maybe im jus dumb :)

now the maths... i didnt think MATH1141 was worth doin, the lectures werent interesting - the lecturers go real fast, cos they expect u 2 hve done 4U maths, (or really well in 3U maths, 2 the point dat u can be familiar with complex numbers within 1-2 weeks). But dats only my opinion... cos there's this maths club thingy for ppl who thinks MATH1141 is goin to slow for them.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Originally posted by mp3mojo
if u find it 2 hard, u can always drop it half way, i actually dropped it the day b4 the 2nd / 3rd assignment was due for higher comp - got so sick & tired of the trains, it was seriously a nightmare :S :S or maybe im jus dumb :)
I talked to Richard the other day, and he said this year he's going to make the trains assignment easier - probably thinking of taking out the group work so a whole class doesn't go kaboom if their interfaces are crap and he might give everyone a finished location so they just do an AI.

Damn it we were guinea pigs.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
The trains assignment this year sounds like it's going to be GOOD, Sunny! And I can't wait to see it in action at Open Day again oh ha ha ha....

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
I talked to Richard the other day, and he said this year he's going to make the trains assignment easier - probably thinking of taking out the group work so a whole class doesn't go kaboom if their interfaces are crap and he might give everyone a finished location so they just do an AI.

Damn it we were guinea pigs.
Yay :D

Mill

HSC
Complex numbers can be learnt in 2 weeks realistically. It's not difficult. Questions can be. Concepts aren't.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Originally posted by Mill
Complex numbers can be learnt in 2 weeks realistically. It's not difficult. Questions can be. Concepts aren't.
too bad the exams ask questions and not concepts :p

mp3mojo

so the theme 4 the assignments doesnt change each year? cos i thought they did - the year b4 us did a mahjong assignment which sounded alot more do-able than the trains hehee :)

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
I knew there was an advantage to doing 4u besides scaling :p

sunny

meh.
HSC
Originally posted by mp3mojo
so the theme 4 the assignments doesnt change each year? cos i thought they did - the year b4 us did a mahjong assignment which sounded alot more do-able than the trains hehee :)
Yeh they do change....Richard said this year assignment 1 is a programming in the small, assignment 2 trains and assignment 3 probably a game of some sort.

mp3mojo

Originally posted by Mill
if i remembered it correctly it was in math1131 dat they explained it & spent 1-2 weeks on it, whereas math1141 only 2-3 lectures. in math1151 they jus skip it. (seriously dont go near math1151 unless u hve to ie actuarial students, cos it'll be more benefitial for u 2 spend time on ur other subs than 2 try 2 do well in this one)

also in math1141 complex numbers is considered to be easy... (well at least the parts learnt in high skool)

Last edited:

mp3mojo

Originally posted by sunny
Yeh they do change....Richard said this year assignment 1 is a programming in the small, assignment 2 trains and assignment 3 probably a game of some sort.
oh yeah assignment 2 & 3 were trains 4 us, & assignment 3 was the 'jump off the balcony' killer...
did any1's network / location end up workin?

Mill

HSC
No they spent like 3 weeks on it in MATH1251. It was mad fun. Easiest 3 weeks of my life considering I did 4u.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)