choosing higher math and higher computing. (1 Viewer)

kouri

well w t f
HSC
erh.. i think i'm going crazy...or...
its the heat.. @_@

alright. i complete forgot about HD.

thanks anyway :

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by kouri
alright..

so both of you STILL GOT DN for 1711.. @_@

my god... haha..
*clap clap*
Actually, I got an HD *gloates*

kouri

well w t f
HSC
=D..... =O ... X_X

btw, can we newbs print at uni? like the form thing for 1711.. -_-
i ..dont...have...a..printer (that works anyway)

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by kouri
=D..... =O ... X_X

btw, can we newbs print at uni? like the form thing for 1711.. -_-
i ..dont...have...a..printer (that works anyway)
CSE students get a printing quota (around 500 free pages) that can be used for CSE lab printers.

MATH students get around 20 free pages for MATH printers ...

The Library will let you print for a fee ...

The Commerce abs let you print for a fee ...

Dash

ReSpEcTeD
HSC
Dunno if this has been said already...
But I'll say it anyway...
I ask the dude at the advisory day about the recognition you get for doin higher maths..
He said there was none!
Its jus there for people who are... lets say... "BORED!"
So yeh, there is no difference...
Its jus that higher maths is a heck of a lot harder...
So go figure :)

sunny

meh.
HSC
As much as they don't like to admit it, there is some scaling in higher subjects to account for the harder work done - the idea is that the mark you get after scaling is approximately the same as if you did the normal course.

ace

is retired
HSC
Sunny,

What may I ask is the technical definition of "is" then, in reference to your last post?

E.g. Does 75 raw turn into 80 scaled, etc.

sunny

meh.
HSC
I don't know the details - but I believe that the scaling is done at the discretion of the lecturer-in-charge.

For example, in COMP1711 - Richard had told us that 1711 was scaled such that, generally, 1711 was 20% higher than 1011 - results in more HDs and Ds given out in the higher class.

But of course, their idea of scaling is not some "advantage" - rather its to compensate you for the harder work you've done, so that say if I got 90 in 1711, I should've got the same mark in 1011 if I put the same effort in.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by zoodboog
Is the workload that much more for Higher Computing? I'm not really worried about how hard it is, but how much actual work there is to do.

Like... at the moment I am doing
Maths 1A / Physics 1A / Higher Computing 1A / Discrete Maths, and I am so worried that it will mean I am going to be doing homework / assignments till 10pm every day :(
There is more work in higher computing, but if you are already good at computing it shouldn't be a problem. If your new to programming (like I was) it will take some more effort, but it is not overwhelming ...

sunny

meh.
HSC
I did those same subjects, except I did Higher Physics 1A, and I managed fine - its alot of maths to be doing maths 1A with discrete with physics though.

Capulet

UNSW rulz!
the 20% scaling for higher computing might be worth it compared to the work load. esp if your course is computer depedent. bioinformatics is 35% computer and 35% math. im guessing it would be easier if u did SDD in the HSC? im hoping SDD and 4U math would make my workload in higher math and higher computing managable, hopefully. i still find it interesting that higher computing doesnt require u to know anything about computers, IPT, SDD, IT or otherwise, just requires good math. something off with that?

sunny

meh.
HSC
There tends to be alot of focus in problem solving, especially with in maths problems in comp 1A.

Having done SDD will give you no help in comp 1A.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)