christianity in the media. (1 Viewer)

Lentern

HSC
What? What a stupid and offensive thing to say. Christ violently drives out the charlatans from His temple, as we do too. You can point to a few various Christian sects (heretics), but not the Universal Church.
Those few christian sects, are they the Church of England?

Anyway I don't see whats the problem is, spreading the good news has always been a pivotal part of Christianity. Are we to ignore the more effective ways of doing so and stick to the old soapboxes and mounds in the name of appearing classical and traditional. Trendy and progressive, that is the way the church is heading.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
I still like that back and forth series of ads on London buses Between Atheists and Christians. Funny to watch were that will go.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Those few christian sects, are they the Church of England?

Anyway I don't see whats the problem is, spreading the good news has always been a pivotal part of Christianity. Are we to ignore the more effective ways of doing so and stick to the old soapboxes and mounds in the name of appearing classical and traditional. Trendy and progressive, that is the way the church is heading.
Honestly Lentern, I have no idea why you insist on this. Which trend are we supposedly following, or supposed to be following? What are we meant to be progressing towards? The full revelation was satisfied in the body and blood of Christ. Our only challenge is tailoring His message to new times and individuals, but the core message can never 'progress' towards any 'trend'...

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Well, why not ? Media is saturated in other idealogies.

Lentern

HSC
Honestly Lentern, I have no idea why you insist on this. Which trend are we supposedly following, or supposed to be following? What are we meant to be progressing towards? The full revelation was satisfied in the body and blood of Christ. Our only challenge is tailoring His message to new times and individuals, but the core message can never 'progress' towards any 'trend'...
-Female Priests
-Gay Christians
-Ditch the robes for priests and acolytes
-Shutup about contraception(STOP FUCKING JUDGING)
-Do some charity projects deliberately in collaboration with some secular charities.
-There was a priest at Wentworthville who used to replace words in his bible that were exclusive like "brotherhood" and replace it with "community."
-Get our cooler Bishops (David Cremin, Peter Ingham, Kevin Manning etc) on Sunrise/Today, Kerry Anne, David and Kim and so on and so forth.

When you can accomplish that I'll give you a new list of things.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
-Look what happened when we put Eve in charge
-There are many? Are you saying that the homo act should be endorsed, despite St Paul's view?
-Why? Having them celebrate the Holy Eucharist in trackies would increase respectability would it?
-There's a difference between condemning sin and judging individuals, ok? Christ would never have retreated from articulating the good yet forgiving the sinner
-We do all the time, as well as with Islamic, Jewish and Protestant groups, next
-Straws, u clutchin?
-We engage with the media all the time; they dont necessarily want to engage with us, k?

Your mind is clearly still weeded with hsc marxism. You have some way to go until you realise the Godlessness of your view it seems...

Lentern

HSC
-There are many? Are you saying that the homo act should be endorsed, despite St Paul's view?
-Why? Having them celebrate the Holy Eucharist in trackies would increase respectability would it?
-There's a difference between condemning sin and judging individuals, ok? Christ would never have retreated from articulating the good yet forgiving the sinner
-We do all the time, as well as with Islamic, Jewish and Protestant groups, next
-Straws, u clutchin?
-We engage with the media all the time; they dont necessarily want to engage with us, k?

Your mind is clearly still weeded with hsc marxism. You have some way to go until you realise the Godlessness of your view it seems...
-Women have evolved a bit since Eve and Lilith, case in point Mrs Thatcher.
-Yes, Saint Paul was wrong, the mere fact that he was martyred and or performed miracles does not make his word infallible.
-As opposed to them looking like try hard ghosts? It creates this facade of grandiosity that scares off all the little kiddies and makes it harder for people to feel like they are a part of the ceremony unless they themselves look like a clown. Not to mention its pretentious.
-Make it not sin then. Its clearly some nonsensical rule written in the days before science told us what it really was and everyone thought it was some kind of sacred magic life creating potion of which God would only create so much and thus it shouldn't be wasted.
-Do more of them, the vast majority of these things we just end up catcalling and exchanging dirties.
-During Father Laurie's nine year spell there was a huge jump in the number of people attending mass in the area particularly young people! He also wore an earing and organised parish train trips with themes the most successful of which was the Harry Potter one. Therefore my suggestions relating to Laurie were
a)make him pope, the current one is going gaga
b)Rome should release a new standard bible like the ones Laurie tinkers with.
-Yes but we also attack the media a lot and appear to be at war with them, Big Brother, Kyle Sandiland, Good News Week, The Chaser-we seem like out of touch dags with no sense of humour. And that is probably because instead of sending trendy progressives like the ones i listed we send cranks like father bob, aloof and pompous formers yuppies like Pell and that twat Fisher. Look at how Islam is promoting itself in the press, Waleed Ally, Kamila Shamsie, Susan Carland...we're losing the press battle and you know it. Islam had the common sense to silence Hilaly, why can't we silence Pell and Fisher. Our image needs to change from this

to this

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
-Thatcher is my case in point!
-Heresy most foul
-Youre an idiot. Some of the vestments date back to, like, the first century. I dont think you understand the Church at all
-More heresy. Youre verging on being an agent of death
-Point to the 'vast majority' of 'dirties' that the Church supposedly engages in or stfu
-Got sanity? At this point my faith in your Catholic knowledge collapses as I see thru the facade of ur intellect
-U nut job. You think Islam preaches to the lowest common denominator and gets them? You seem to have no understanding of the Church hierarchy or the vital importance of sacred tradition operating alongside sacred scripture. Leave thru the door Lentern and crawl back in thru the window of bitter experience later, tnks

Lentern

HSC
-Thatcher is my case in point!
-Heresy most foul
-Youre an idiot. Some of the vestments date back to, like, the first century. I dont think you understand the Church at all
-More heresy. Youre verging on being an agent of death
-Point to the 'vast majority' of 'dirties' that the Church supposedly engages in or stfu
-Got sanity? At this point my faith in your Catholic knowledge collapses as I see thru the facade of ur intellect
-U nut job. You think Islam preaches to the lowest common denominator and gets them? You seem to have no understanding of the Church hierarchy or the vital importance of sacred tradition operating alongside sacred scripture. Leave thru the door Lentern and crawl back in thru the window of bitter experience later, tnks
-In which case I tender Segolene Royale. You can't have the best of both worlds.
- Herein lies the problem.
-If they date back to like the pre aqueduct era then quite possibly they are slightly out of date. I suppose you'd like us to say mass in latin as well.
-Hear that? That was the sound of thousands of god loving footsteps in the opposite direction of the church because it clung to some abra kadabra nonsense from the crusade era.
-I point to you wicked witch of the west.
-Who is insane? The one driving along a road who sees a sign saying "cliff edge in 400 metres" and slams his foot on the accelerator or the one who takes a left turn? You are throwing our religion off a cliff you zealot.
-I have it from Turnbull what you just did was verbal me and I will have none of it.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Accelorator! Accelorator! ACCELORATOR!

POOP POOP!

But the problem really seems to be is that you cant help but view the church as a political organisation whose success is based on membership numbers, rather than adherence to eternal Truth. I suppose that by your logic we wouldnt have had any martyrs because theyd all recant enthusiastically the second they were threatened by anyone! Dont rock the boat for what is essentially an obscure private belief with no place in public, says Lentern the appeasing worm

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
-Straws, u clutchin?

Iron, you are resplendent in this post.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
The foundation of sexism :p

You've heard it from the man himself.

Lentern

HSC
Accelorator! Accelorator! ACCELORATOR!

POOP POOP!

But the problem really seems to be is that you cant help but view the church as a political organisation whose success is based on membership numbers, rather than adherence to eternal Truth. I suppose that by your logic we wouldnt have had any martyrs because theyd all recant enthusiastically the second they were threatened by anyone! Dont rock the boat for what is essentially an obscure private belief with no place in public, says Lentern the appeasing worm
Stop verballing me! The church whilst honouring someone not human is only a creation of the flawed human race. It is not attack on the ancestors integrity, I'm sure they were only making their best judgments but in the light of technology and advanced philosophy etc we can now make better judgments and any attempt to to make better judgments should not be swept aside as blasphemy. If it were up to you we'd still have the banquet of chestnuts.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Stop verballing me! The church whilst honouring someone not human is only a creation of the flawed human race. It is not attack on the ancestors integrity, I'm sure they were only making their best judgments but in the light of technology and advanced philosophy etc we can now make better judgments and any attempt to to make better judgments should not be swept aside as blasphemy. If it were up to you we'd still have the banquet of chestnuts.
Yeah, so essentially you argue that the sacrifice and martyrdom of all believers up to this point was in vain because they didnt have knowledge of the right 'technology' and they didnt understand new philosophies. They didnt give up their lives for Truth - for Christ Himself - they merely didnt understand truth in the 'trendy and progressive' way that you clearly do.

Honestly Lolentern, pls m8. Did Christ understand the modern age? Did insufficient knowledge of modern technology make his sacrifice less meaningful? In what ways was Christ's philosophy lacking when matched with the modern day? Cause what it boils down to is you having the arrogance to believe that you know what Christ meant better than the Church, with its 2000yr institutional knowledge.

ps I think ur a (lovable) dag anyway.

Lentern

HSC
Yeah, so essentially you argue that the sacrifice and martyrdom of all believers up to this point was in vain because they didnt have knowledge of the right 'technology' and they didnt understand new philosophies. They didnt give up their lives for Truth - for Christ Himself - they merely didnt understand truth in the 'trendy and progressive' way that you clearly do.

Honestly Lolentern, pls m8. Did Christ understand the modern age? Did insufficient knowledge of modern technology make his sacrifice less meaningful? In what ways was Christ's philosophy lacking when matched with the modern day? Cause what it boils down to is you having the arrogance to believe that you know what Christ meant better than the Church, with its 2000yr institutional knowledge.
Nobody contests the noble intentions of the saints who gave their lives so selflessly merely that had they had the facts at hand that we(maybe not you) have today they might have acted differently. Likewise had the Vatican had those facts at hand then they might have recognized as many miracles as they did. They were only doing their best which is all good and well but their best wasn't as good as what we can do today. If we don't begin recognizing the mistakes of the past we will watch wave after wave of educated people read these irrational doctrines and simply say that they can't accept such crap.

I have never questioned Christ which you well know. What I have frequently said is that the attempts to fill supplement the teachings of Christ have been done by humans with flaws and inevitably mistakes were made. We now know more than ever before and can correct these mistakes, if only we had the political will.
ps I think ur a (lovable) dag anyway
You can borrow my Paul Kelly CD's anytime.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Dude, you know I love you but youre so not a Catholic. Your faith appears to be wavering if you so happily place something like 'technology' above the eternal, perfect truth of Christ. It has nothing to do with our understanding of the material world.

Read 'Caritas in veritate', our "gaga" (your term) Pope's last encyclycal and report back for spanking.

"Caritas in veritate" - Encyclical Letter of His Holiness Benedict XVI

Last edited:

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
I think the ad's are good, they are an evangelical tool, ran buy jesus all about life, the same people who do jesus racing.

im_not_random

HSC
The Jesus All About Life Campaign does not have the aim of converting thousands of people. No advertising campaign on their own could bring people to Jesus. The aim of the campaign has nothing to do with money.
Churches talk to people about Jesus, declare his good news, not because they want money or political power - Jesus actually tells us to do it: Matthew 28:19 (New International Version)

"19Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,"
The aim of this campaign is to get people talking about Jesus. I think its done just that

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)