christianity in the media. (1 Viewer)

Lentern

HSC
Dude, you know I love you but youre so not a Catholic. Your faith appears to be wavering if you so happily place something like 'technology' above the eternal, perfect truth of Christ. It has nothing to do with our understanding of the material world.

Read 'Caritas in veritate', our "gaga" (your term) Pope's last encyclycal and report back for spanking.

"Caritas in veritate" - Encyclical Letter of His Holiness Benedict XVI
If by faith you mean my faith in Christ you are sadly mistaken; it has never been stronger. If by faith you mean my faith in the institution no sane person coul remain a member without raising the eyebrowat some of the nonsense that wannabe country in the middle of Rome spits out. It is a sad day when catholics who attempt to engage with the faith and contemplate it; rather than merely attending mass for 50 minutes each week, twenty of which they daydream and nodding approvingly at whatever the blokes with collars say, are the ones that are driven away.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
If by faith you mean my faith in Christ you are sadly mistaken; it has never been stronger. If by faith you mean my faith in the institution no sane person coul remain a member without raising the eyebrowat some of the nonsense that wannabe country in the middle of Rome spits out. It is a sad day when catholics who attempt to engage with the faith and contemplate it; rather than merely attending mass for 50 minutes each week, twenty of which they daydream and nodding approvingly at whatever the blokes with collars say, are the ones that are driven away.
I know you dont believe this. Youre just trying to provoke my attention by wounding me this way. If you have significant issues with sacred tradition, (including clergy garments and the status of women in the Church) and our time-honoured, intellectually-thrashed out interpretation of sacred scripture (including homosexuality and contraception), then youre free to leave. In fact, the Church would probably prefer you do so, rather than sniping our leaders from the pews.

The reality is that there will likely be no change on the issues you raise unless the Church decideds it's confident enough to take on more schism. You claim to have some valid intellectual basis for your criticism, but youve clearly decided that your sloppy left-wing populist politics holds a more valuable truth than the Church does. You paint this picture of a tired and dying Church but we're actually growing and building steam, taking in intellectual strays and in the process of generously welcoming back swathes of heretics, including Anglicans and the Orthodox...

Lentern

HSC
I know you dont believe this. Youre just trying to provoke my attention by wounding me this way. If you have significant issues with sacred tradition, (including clergy garments and the status of women in the Church) and our time-honoured, intellectually-thrashed out interpretation of sacred scripture (including homosexuality and contraception), then youre free to leave. In fact, the Church would probably prefer you do so, rather than sniping our leaders from the pews.

The reality is that there will likely be no change on the issues you raise unless the Church decideds it's confident enough to take on more schism. You claim to have some valid intellectual basis for your criticism, but youve clearly decided that your sloppy left-wing populist politics holds a more valuable truth than the Church does. You paint this picture of a tired and dying Church but we're actually growing and building steam, taking in intellectual strays and in the process of generously welcoming back swathes of heretics, including Anglicans and the Orthodox...
If the church writes policy merely to escape schisms it is hardly less populist than the trendy progressives. It is survived now through presenting half stories masses of people with limited education who light up at the notion of eternal salvation. Look in your own backyard you fool, young people raised in catholic families are turning agnostic almost the day they move out and there is a reason they identify as agnostics not atheists. They still believe in and love christ but they simply can't abide the nonsense that comes out of Rome any longer, not whilst irrefutable facts fly in its face.

Meanwhile you try and usher the rationale thinkers of the church out the back door lest the rest of the world realize that far from being one big happy family that cannot be suppressed there is intense debate and disagreements within the ranks. Numbers are dropping, hostility is growing and influence is waning; Can you really not see why?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Speak for yourself you cheese eating surrender monkey. We've never been better off. If you insist on being some pussy cancerous infection within the Church system, at least have the decency and tact to resolve your dumb, insincere issues in private conversation with priest(s), or better yet within confession.

Or you can keep publically airing your ignorant, egotistical hatred of the Church you claim to belong to in an anonymous chatroom where attitudes to Christianity range from hostile to indifferent, whatever.

Lentern

HSC
Speak for yourself you cheese eating surrender monkey. We've never been better off. If you insist on being some pussy cancerous infection within the Church system, at least have the decency and tact to resolve your dumb, insincere issues in private conversation with priest(s), or better yet within confession.

Or you can keep publically airing your ignorant, egotistical hatred of the Church you claim to belong to in an anonymous chatroom where attitudes to Christianity range from hostile to indifferent, whatever.
Part of the curious thing about chatting to priests about it is the way they all seem to have radically different views about it. So much for the one church.
We've never been better off.
We're going well

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
My only defense of Catholicism, my previous delusion before the light of atheism, is that it at least accepts the fact that we are African apes.

What other religion has publicly stated a support for evolution?

If Catholics are behind, what can we say for those nutcase evangelical prots who are still interpreting every word, right down to big floods and talking snakes?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Youre no longer worth responding to Cookie. Youve stagnated

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)