CityRail on brink of collapse (1 Viewer)

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
withoutaface said:
Limits on the number of trains which can safely go over the bridge each hour (12 total iirc).
That doesn't affect the services to the green, blue, pink, brown and orange lines you silly boy.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
AlleyCat said:
what about having a train every 5 minutes ON FUCKING TIME in peak hour.

i dont understand how that couldn't work.
AlleyCat said:
can you explain it to me then?
The CityRail signalling system is very old. IIRC, it's based on technology from before 1950 or something. I could be wrong on the date, so don't quote me on that one.

So obviously compared to newer technology, a further distance needs to be kept between each train, and this causes limitations.

I think on the City Circle trains can be closer apart than other parts of the network, although congestion is still an issue there (3 lines merging to one in each direction).

But trains being delayed on peak hour is mainly due to huge dwell times at stations, because of the double decker design, whereas on single decker trains people can unload/load faster.

Also, there are follow on effects due to the design of the lines. For example, if a train is delayed on the Bankstown Line, then there will be delays on the Inner West Line, as those two lines are basically the same (Bankstown Line goes around City Circle and becomes Inner West Line, and vice versa). The clearways project is designed to reduce this. I think there's going to be a turnback at Lidcombe or something to facilitate for the seperation of these lines. This will result in some stations getting no direct service to the city, but at least it seperates the two lines. The turnback is nearly completed I think.

I think there's also going to be a turnback at Revesby to seperate the East Hills line from the South Line (As East Hills line goes around CC and becomes South Line). I don't know if this is going to proceed, but it was planned.

Oh and I wouldn't trust SMH fully, they don't even know the difference between a K set and S set.

Last edited:

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Ehh, the Revesby turnback is built already "expert" dude.

I think on the City Circle trains can be closer apart than other parts of the network, although congestion is still an issue there (3 lines merging to one in each direction).
Plus they go slow as all fuck through the city circle. Tunnels would prolly collapse if they did over 20kph

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
I think the limit around CC is 40km/h... Signaling there allows for a 2 minute headway between trains.

I haven't heard much about the Revesby turnback lately... I can't even see the point in building one there. But that's whole other story!

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
jm01 said:
I think the limit around CC is 40km/h... Signaling there allows for a 2 minute headway between trains.

I haven't heard much about the Revesby turnback lately... I can't even see the point in building one there. But that's whole other story!
Eh, makes sense to move it foward from the isolated East Hills. This way the difference in time/distance for an East Hills versus Macarthur train is evened up a bit, I imagine. It's not gonna have much of an improvement on reliability unless they duplicate the track from Kingsgrove to Revesby though :(

What I find most ridiculous about the CC is that it's faster to get off an walk from Museum to Town Hall, instead of staying on the train and waiting for it to complete the circuit. :lol:

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
jm01 said:
The CityRail signalling system is very old. IIRC, it's based on technology from before 1950 or something. I could be wrong on the date, so don't quote me on that one.

So obviously compared to newer technology, a further distance needs to be kept between each train, and this causes limitations.

But trains being delayed on peak hour is mainly due to huge dwell times at stations, because of the double decker design, whereas on single decker trains people can unload/load faster.

Also, there are follow on effects due to the design of the lines. For example, if a train is delayed on the Bankstown Line, then there will be delays on the Inner West Line, as those two lines are basically the same (Bankstown Line goes around City Circle and becomes Inner West Line, and vice versa). The clearways project is designed to reduce this. I think there's going to be a turnback at Lidcombe or something to facilitate for the seperation of these lines. This will result in some stations getting no direct service to the city, but at least it seperates the two lines. The turnback is nearly completed I think.

I think there's also going to be a turnback at Revesby to seperate the East Hills line from the South Line (As East Hills line goes around CC and becomes South Line). I don't know if this is going to proceed, but it was planned.

Oh and I wouldn't trust SMH fully, they don't even know the difference between a K set and S set.
lol trainspotter.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Nebuchanezzar said:
Eh, makes sense to move it foward from the isolated East Hills. This way the difference in time/distance for an East Hills versus Macarthur train is evened up a bit, I imagine. It's not gonna have much of an improvement on reliability unless they duplicate the track from Kingsgrove to Revesby though :(
Well, it would make more sense to terminate trains at East Hills or Kingsgrove. But as I said it's a whole other complicated story :p

What I find most ridiculous about the CC is that it's faster to get off an walk from Museum to Town Hall, instead of staying on the train and waiting for it to complete the circuit. :lol:
You could always take a train to Central and change for Town Hall :p

big8oyjames

Banned
HSC
Neb knows more than you jm01. stop pretending to be smart you dumb shit.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
You could always take a train to Central and change for Town Hall
That's what I'd do brah, except I get off at Wolli Creek and get a train that avoids that awful airport line and speeds straight into Town Hall. :D

Well, it would make more sense to terminate trains at East Hills or Kingsgrove. But as I said it's a whole other complicated story :p
Kingsgrove? Rubbish you silly boy. Then the Macarthur trains would have to stop all stations beyond there, which would turn an already hefty hour long trip into an hour and a half long trip.

Fool!

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
You're oppressing the anti-Israel uprising in the same way that Israel oppresses Palestinians.

You can't have your way forever, Jew. One day a mod will ban you and we'll never see you again!

olololololololol

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
big8oyjames said:
Neb knows more than you jm01. stop pretending to be smart you dumb shit.
Do you have better knowledge about the CityRail rail system? For that matter, do you know anything, judging by the quality of all your (useless) posts.

Nebuchanezzar said:
That's what I'd do brah, except I get off at Wolli Creek and get a train that avoids that awful airport line and speeds straight into Town Hall. :D
Yeah that may be good, except for the fact that the Illawara Line gets only Tangaras and S sets (the non a/c ones), whereas the East Hills line gets Milleniums, C sets, Tangaras, and S sets. If I was on a Millenium I'd probably stay on there, as I hate Tangaras and S sets. Plus, I always get off at Museum, so I'd probably stay on.

I don't know the speed limits for the two lines (East Hills and Illawara) but when the Illawara trains enter the Eastern Suburbs part they practically slow to a stop near Erskineville... Don't know if you've noticed or not :p

Kingsgrove? Rubbish you silly boy. Then the Macarthur trains would have to stop all stations beyond there, which would turn an already hefty hour long trip into an hour and a half long trip.
Well you see there already is a turnback at the moment, about two stations from East Hills. So I don't know why they're building another one as Revesby. There's also track duplication going on there, so they might think that between Kingsgrove and Revesby is a bottleneck zone, but I wouldn't know because I don't travel on the East Hills/Airport Line. The government likes wasting money, and then increasing our fares!

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Yeah that may be good, except for the fact that the Illawara Line gets only Tangaras and S sets (the non a/c ones), whereas the East Hills line gets Milleniums, C sets, Tangaras, and S sets. If I was on a Millenium I'd probably stay on there, as I hate Tangaras and S sets. Plus, I always get off at Museum, so I'd probably stay on.
I'm somewhat tall. Very long legs. A double of Conan O'Brien. Millennium Trains are scum to me. Tangaras on the other hand have sturdy seats so you can rest your legs on them. Very gut.

I don't know the speed limits for the two lines (East Hills and Illawara) but when the Illawara trains enter the Eastern Suburbs part they practically slow to a stop near Erskineville... Don't know if you've noticed or not :p
Eh, either way it's quicker.

Fact that I plan my journey so meticulously says a lot about the crappyness of the Cityrail system imo.

Well you see there already is a turnback at the moment, about two stations from East Hills. So I don't know why they're building another one as Revesby. There's also track duplication going on there, so they might think that between Kingsgrove and Revesby is a bottleneck zone, but I wouldn't know because I don't travel on the East Hills/Airport Line. The government likes wasting money, and then increasing our fares!
What, at Glenfield, or Revesby? Both are two stations on. And there is a big bottleneck between those two stations on account of some trains speeding through to Macarthur, and the others being all stops to East Hills.

ISN'T TALKING aBOUT TRaINS FUN GUYZ/!?!?!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)