Class of 2010: Eng Ext 2 Roll Call (1 Viewer)

proletariat

HSC
Short Story.

I was going to do poetry, then a short story like stephen herrick, and now, just a simple short story 8D

*writes name on roll*

MissGiggles

HSC
Personally I'm doing this course because i have a passion for writing and a passion for my topic. I think its an in depth, challenging and enriching course and I'm looking forward to undertaking my major work independently. Why on earth would you pour yourself into this just to impress a high school teacher?
I'm not doing this to impress anyone in any way except to hopefully get a good ATAR, which could kind of be considered impressing uni admissions people. All I mean is that the sort of student who would want to get to school at an insane hour ior leave late in order to do extra work would care about how they graduate. And if you want to graduate with a good report you're not the sort of person who would want to be on any teachers bad side.

Yes i've wanted to write a story for a long time and i want to take this opportunity to have my teachers help me polish it. I'm a good reader. I read "Emma" by Jane Austen at 8 (not that i understood every part of it) and i also study and perform drama inside and out of school (go HRDS!). But you have to really like school and teachers to inflict this on yourself.

Oroborous

HSC
N/A
I love how most of us have little quotes or bits of poems in our sigs...
I have tofu. >_>

Also, though this is probably the wrong topic to ask in (but I'm far too lazy to search/make a new one), is humour generally frowned upon? If I wanted to make my writing 'witty' would I be marked down because my writing wouldn't be as sophistimicated? I'd ask my teacher, but she's currently away.

luv2luvurmama

HSC
I have tofu. >_>

Also, though this is probably the wrong topic to ask in (but I'm far too lazy to search/make a new one), is humour generally frowned upon? If I wanted to make my writing 'witty' would I be marked down because my writing wouldn't be as sophistimicated? I'd ask my teacher, but she's currently away.
English nerds suck!
Hey give me neg rep plz :)

Im doing 4 unit english too!!

I had sex with William Shakespeare !

kiniki

HSC
is humour generally frowned upon?
A guy in my class had a disarming sense of humour, and he weaves comic into his writing in such a way that just....stuns all of us! Our teacher is so excited by him, she's encouraging him to make his MW humourous and manipulate his 'gifted' writing style. I say go for it, most definitely. Imho, our MW should reflect our strongest abilities.. like my writing is just inherently luxurious and almost poetic and she wants me to write something based in the 19th century or with influences from the romantic era and what not. i reckon it'll work in my favour :)

Cardea

HSC
Hey guys, I'm Cindy. Also planning on doing a critical response, probably based on one of Carl Jung's theories, but I'd really like to integrate a postmodern understanding of the human condition with psychoanalysis. I've heard postmodernism is a very popular subject matter, so I'm still not certain about that part of my MW. Even still, the combination of postmodernism and psychoanalysis is pretty fascinating =D

Oroborous

HSC
N/A
A guy in my class had a disarming sense of humour, and he weaves comic into his writing in such a way that just....stuns all of us! Our teacher is so excited by him, she's encouraging him to make his MW humourous and manipulate his 'gifted' writing style. I say go for it, most definitely. Imho, our MW should reflect our strongest abilities.. like my writing is just inherently luxurious and almost poetic and she wants me to write something based in the 19th century or with influences from the romantic era and what not. i reckon it'll work in my favour :)
I see. Thanks!

dianaCharleston

HSC
BLEH! so many ideas running through my head! hahah.
& yes, we should all meet up & discuss ideas & chill
I know! I am having so much trouble narrowing down my ideas into one concept. Luckily my extension teacher is a senior board marker for NSW, and his great at appreciating your ideas and discussing them with you. He knows almost every author you mention to him, and is great at steering you in the right direction.
But his leaving our school next year so I'm trying to write my first draft by the end of this term. But yes, definitely looking forward to discussing ideas/ lounging and chilling in this forum with you all for 2010. Doing poetry btw and good luck everyone!

joshuarG

HSC
I know! I am having so much trouble narrowing down my ideas into one concept. Luckily my extension teacher is a senior board marker for NSW, and his great at appreciating your ideas and discussing them with you. He knows almost every author you mention to him, and is great at steering you in the right direction.
But his leaving our school next year so I'm trying to write my first draft by the end of this term. But yes, definitely looking forward to discussing ideas/ lounging and chilling in this forum with you all for 2010. Doing poetry btw and good luck everyone!

WOO we almost have the same subjects :D
& just a question.
what are you basing your poetry on?
because i wanted to do poetry, but yeah,
everyone kind of advised me against it, even my teacher,
so im scared ill get bad marks off my teacher if i choose it,
thus do bad all over. (N)

gavskiez

HSC

if you're good at poetry and you want to do it, then of course do it. there's no disadvantage with what you choose; a girl a couple years older than me got 50/50 and she did poetry. it just has to be damn good. if anything it'll be a good change for the markers because I doubt many people would pick poetry as an option, in comparison to those doing short stories and essays.. though that ain't really important. but yeah if you like it, dooo it :)

i'm going with an absurdist theatre script, just trying to write the central concepts and stuff in essay form now and thinking up stage ideas and vague subplots. anyone else having major ext2 blanks at this moment in time?

dianaCharleston

HSC
Originally Posted by joshuarG
Wisdom from my teacher:

I suggest plunging yourself into the poetry shelf of your local bookshop/library and exploring the diversity of styles out there. Interested in contemporary poetry? Try people like Alan Wearne, John Tranter, and Dorothy Porter who I’ve found to be extremely innovative and who have really pushed me into acknowledging the limitless bounds of poetry.

Find a few poets who you can connect with and who’s style you think you could try and emulate. Take time picking at the layers of their creations and allow yourself to be moved by it. But think to yourself constantly: what do I like about what I’ve just read? Why did it move me? How did they do it?

And then GET WRITING. Show your teacher a few samples of your work. Show what your capable of. If you have a stubborn teacher and they still advise you against it than I strongly suggest that you do what he/she says as they are the ones marking your internal assessments. Yes extension 2 should be a self-indulgent exploration of your passions, but at the end of the day it is about pleasing the examiner and acquiring the marks. Still wanting to do poetry? then by all means do it. A great piece of poetry could stand you out from the rest of the pack.

As for my concept… It’s still developing at the back of my mind, picking at it’s shell, not ready to enter the world just yet. ;)

Good luck with your work!

Nyxie

HSC
I'm doing a short story- on what i am not yet sure... but it'll come :D

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
Oh for fucks sake, you people have no backbone. This is YOUR major work, the piece that YOU will be spending almost a year on so do what YOU want to do. If you like your topic/form/concepts your more likely to produce a sophisticated, in depth and 'unique' MW.

css

HSC
Oh for fucks sake, you people have no backbone. This is YOUR major work, the piece that YOU will be spending almost a year on so do what YOU want to do. If you like your topic/form/concepts your more likely to produce a sophisticated, in depth and 'unique' MW.
+1
My teacher's a champion. One of those anal types, but not so anal as to infringe upon what you want to do.

There is no formula for success, except doing what you want.
Don't think for a second that you're going to do well -just because- your teacher told you to do one topic or another.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)