Class of 2025 (2025 HSC CHAT) (1 Viewer)

melanie_o

HSC
Help!
Does anyone have any access to practice papers/revision tasks specifically for 3U maths perms + combs, I have a test in a few weeks for the topic ugggh I don't get it.

melanie_o

HSC
I have been reflecting on my first few weeks of prelim.
Modern history is making me feel stupid and my draft essays are low B range.
Biology is much harder than I anticipated, but interesting nonetheless.
I want to get into med.
Which of the two should I drop at the start of y12? Any advice

its_ace21

/æɪs/
HSC
I want to get into med.
keep them until year 12 and then u can decide which one ur better at

Cute-Duckie

HSC
agreed, wait till your first assessments are over and see how you manage your time before you even think about what to drop, and dont make any final decisions until your year 11 finals (unless you're like 100 percent sure)

sakinluvo

HSC
I want to get into med.
tbh i would drop modern cuz it doesn't relate to med but im biased because i hate history subjects. honestly see how u go maybe you will like history later on and improve ur essays skills as the weeks go by

Stuck In 2020

HSC
I want to get into med.
I'd go for whatever u find more interesting lol
In terms of scaling im pretty sure they're around the same... i think MoH is slightly better...? idk google it.
I'd just wait and see...

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
I want to get into med.
i did both bio and modern for y12, it's way too early to start thinking about it cos anything can happen tbh, i thought the same thing when i was in y11
i got 67% for my very first modern history task in y11, i finished y12 with a 97 for trials and ranked 1st (modern is surprisingly and relatively easy to improve at if you're willing to put in the effort and you have a decent teacher), for bio... let's say i did better in y11 than y12 (i will say though i hated bio with a passion but really loved modern) 💀 a lot can change from y11 to y12

make your decision at the end of y11, even if you're still indecisive you could try doing both for a term in y12. bio isn't a prerequisite for medicine so if you end up dropping it you won't be missing out on anything for med

CeeTia

HSC
N/A
I want to get into med.
People have already replied but I wanted to also add my opinions!

Please try to stick it out for as long as you can in case things change! Part of school is learning, you don't have to be automatically good at it without at least making an effort to keep trying. If you keep a mentality like that, it might not motivate you to try. So, keep going! It's only the start of prelim.

While it seems like the immediate option is to drop modern history and stick with bio bc med and stuff, essay writing practice could also help in eng (or eng ext depending on whether you're doing that not). Knowing the historical context could help. Emphasise on COULD not WOULD. Just saying it has the potential to. It doesn't make any impacts but I'm just saying its not completely useless. On the other hand, it is very content heavy and if writing essays isn't your thing then you can make the decision in y12.

Bio has a lot of content + memorisation stuff and while it's interesting, if you don't revise then its hard. Also keep in mind you need a lot of writing skills for answering questions in bio too?? It matters. So yaknow, something to keep in mind. But bio is still pretty fun and I'd recommend going with a subject that you enjoy since you're more likely to put effort in to understand. This will especially help you in med (I think its preassumed knowledge in some places? I feel like you're just gonna learn/revise it over again but it would def help to have that knowledge)

Look, if these subjects are hard/making you feel stupid I'd recommend spending some time outside of school revising over some contents/prestudying as much as you can in the holidays to make up for it. That way, it'll lessen the load and give you more time for the writing skills/problem solving skills part of it.

Either way, good luck!! Whatever you choose to do, I wish you the best!

melanie_o

HSC
Thank you everyone for your advice! I'll keep on going with my subjects.
Honestly, I'm having a crisis rn :(. I want to be a premed in uni at USYD with a Bachelor of Science with a major in Geography and German (Introductory) (I honestly don't know) and then I hope to sit the GAMSAT and study MD at USYD.
I am thinking this because I live in a rural area but I am not eligible for the lower ATAR cutoff (since I would've only lived rurally for 4 1/2 years when applying to undergrad med - smh because I am still disadvantaged considering I live in the middle of nowhere ugh and there are limited resources at my school) and since I highly doubt I will be getting anywhere near the competitive ATAR for normal med entry (I am considered a city applicant).
When I say I don't think I'll get a high ATAR, what I mean is that in my area, only a few people have gotten above an 80 in recent years.
Fyi, I refuse to study medical science because I've heard bad things and a high WAM/GPA in the course is hard to come by.
But anywho, I don't want to steal any more oxygen. I'm sorry for yapping.

CeeTia

HSC
N/A
Thank you everyone for your advice! I'll keep on going with my subjects.
Honestly, I'm having a crisis rn :(. I want to be a premed in uni at USYD with a Bachelor of Science with a major in Geography and German (Introductory) (I honestly don't know) and then I hope to sit the GAMSAT and study MD at USYD.
I am thinking this because I live in a rural area but I am not eligible for the lower ATAR cutoff (since I would've only lived rurally for 4 1/2 years when applying to undergrad med - smh because I am still disadvantaged considering I live in the middle of nowhere ugh and there are limited resources at my school) and since I highly doubt I will be getting anywhere near the competitive ATAR for normal med entry (I am considered a city applicant).
When I say I don't think I'll get a high ATAR, what I mean is that in my area, only a few people have gotten above an 80 in recent years.
Fyi, I refuse to study medical science because I've heard bad things and a high WAM/GPA in the course is hard to come by.
But anywho, I don't want to steal any more oxygen. I'm sorry for yapping.
nahh don't apologise for yapping. You bring up some really valid worries

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)