Classical Greek Cont. & Ext. Class of 07 (1 Viewer)

HSC
Agreement about the maths (hey, this is working well, no reasons to agree to disagree just yeeeet). I too never, ever, EVER thought I'd defend maths D:

My academic stuff will be mulched and dyed and turned into pretty new paper :D :D :D :D :D

HSC
Eww. You guys are a disgrace. Math is disgustingly annoying because you can't really bullshit it and because it's pointless and boring. Yes knowing about pentagons is really going to help me in later life. Maths is the one thing I hate being bothered about, well everything else comes a very close second which doesn't say much.

Maths certainly causes my mind to explode. It's not like I'm completely crap at it. It just drives me absolutely nuts to the point I hate studying for it because it's too much effort for my maths hating brain.

When it comes down to it, maths is GAY, end of story and end of discussion!

I know Ki XD

Mum starting cleaning the crap heap off my floor for some reason...I can't tell if she started chucking stuff or not but I think she found my Ad English trial. *halo* (not complaining at least I don't keep on stacking it while trying to get to my bed and Sadie doesn't kill everything if she tries to come and visit me)

If you people meaning Nicholas and Jeremy start bitching about academic related competive stuff one more time I'll have to be forced to injure you both, ok? You people need something else to do I mean seriously!

Sending Thucydides to Tartarus talk is definitely welcome, in fact Ki and Zara weren't we sending all of them to Tartarus maybe minus Homer?

*halo* is like an internet sign of intended innocence like the bloody angel symbol on msn...

Yes Nicholas probably would have been a better idea because I could have done Modern History instead, but no I had no direction at the end of year 10 hence my mother who said I'd have no job with no maths made me do maths and I decided to do 3u with the intention of studying (baha NOT after about 3 weeks) and to avoid RS and PE.

ORLY? Well fine, oh btw guess what? Mum banned me from getting Facebook after I showed her a BAHA article in the paper about identity theft from Facebook which I thought was hilarious, even though I know none of us would be so stupid! So THAR I have a good excuse!

No Nicholas, you're not right, again, as just proven by most likely everyone here minus you and ABII!! Jeremy is very very right about the DARKNESS!

Guess what? NO MORE GREEK FOREVER AFTER TOMORROW! XD

HSC
That's right! XD I don't know whether to celebrate or not...YEAH CELEBRATE for now!

(I got in so much shit for talking for as long as we did!)

Happy study!

antiphon

HSC
woo-hoo, Greek's dooooooooone!!!! how'd everyone find it?

ah. Ext Maths. *hugs textbook* I like you so much more than 4-unit. you'd better return the love. *glares*

Fakhri

HSC
well i though greek was ok...jeremy your notes helped same with you nicholas well at least for the essay basically just...thanks...

well i thought the unseen was ok...except certain words and the last line which didn't really make sense..but i made it up...hopefully i will do ok..but i don't think i wil do as well as in the trials...alas...but meh..i don't care..as usual i have given up on everything...and now my mum is irritating cause apparently i am a negative person and she doesnt like it....but i have always been a negative person so meh...
its going to be sooo soo weird when i finish school..or i mean the HSC..what am i going to do??? Like it is soo weird that it is ending...soo weird...don't you think..i mean after 13yrs...what do you do its routine and its just broken...meh i think i am just having issues with leaving PLC environment..i mean its not that i love it but its comfortable...but yeah i guess i will just move on and go to uni..or not..win the lotto and never leave home...yeah sleep all day...wow that would be great...

how did you all find greek?? I am sure you all did well..cause if i could write something down all of you will do fantastic...so there..
steph i am with you though...if you namely jeremy or nicholas talk about your acedemic career i will...not only hurt you but damage you for life...poss death...you guys have no idea how smart you guys are and how well you do and hence should stop complaining...you guys are just like my sister...who even after she did really well in the HSC..complained cause she didn't come first in anything..alas..only came secound in ext jap...damn..yeah so if you guys do that after the HSC..death to you all...all..

btw ki..i think the barbcue thing is a good idea..cause then well basically we can actual burn stuff safely...well relativly...and then we can do a greekie burn..yeah...btw i sent cam an email btw...just so you know not that that is important......

btw steph...i am with you for the maths thing..i suck at maths and hence don't like it..but thats not the only reason..i think i began to hate it when i um..don't know...it just has too much to do with geometry which always confused me cause i could never see anything...like i only got a handle on alternate angles in year 9...yeah that was a little late..but i think your right about dropping ext maths..i mean i never worked and hence failed..but at least steph all i can say is that at least you didn't pull a hill ok...that is what you should be happy about...

BTW STEPH GET FACEBOOK ALREADY>>>>GOD...you are really starting to annoy me....and yes of course we need another forum to talk...cause there is soo much to say and soo little time to say it....thats the other reason i talk really fast....

I am soooo glad i have almost finished the HSC...thank god...at least i have only two exams left now....yeah...yah...but i don't want to do ancient...stupid subject...know nothing and know am screwed oh well..

oh yeah nicholas who did you find bio??? I thought it was ok...except for the random question about the temperature change..that was weird....oh yeah and there was nothing about action potential...my favourite topic..although i did mention it a little in the question about hearing and sound...but alas...soo sad..and also there was nothing about organ transplants which was my other favourite thing to write about....i am really unhappy...
but the exam was ok....and there was a stupid question on marine fish and freshwater fish...what is with that topic...i mean god...it was in three of our assesments and annoying...anyway...

btw nicholas what topics are u doing for ancient..besides P+H and athenian society??

Alex II..btw will not call you ABII...you should not start working for latin now...swear no point much better if you do it in class...trust me its more fun that way...well until about term 2...then you start hating everything...well i did...and do not do not start translating the aenied...that is a sad life..don't go down that path....

Last edited:
HSC
You know, I liked Greek because I somewhat managed to talk about everything I wanted to talk about, whether it was in essay or commentary contrary to expectation.

Zara, shut up. You're up there with your sister and you're doing better than me and hey I've got it just as bad if not worse than you with both my siblings having always been in academically gifted situations, ok? I probably don't care as much as you do and I don't see why you should to be honest.

Zara, you're really starting to annoy me, I DON'T WANT FACEBOOK! What's wrong with email?

Baha, I think it would be harder to try and get a zero than actually not try and at least score marks somewhere. I like maths being cumulative, but seeing I probably only did my homework...well never, that never worked to my advantage. But yeah Zara, maths hopefully won't count for us.

Zara, piss off, you fucking aced that Ancient Trial. Gee what's with you and Kayley saying you're so screwed? Hey sure I believe you need to study, but you're honestly not that fucked in my opinion. Either without studying I'm sure you'd beat most of the state.

Zara, first of all I find your ORLY comment highly offensive.
ORLY is *NOT* a *WOG* term and I find it extremely offensive that you call it one. I would say that's derogatory but I'm not going to go that far. It's "Oh really" with most of the letters taken out. (DUH) IT'S CHAT SPEAK IF ANYTHING and I think that's what makes your comments more offensive. It's not like I used it out of context either; I mean I'm on the internet and I'm chatting. If you can't see that side, let alone why I find it amusing, than just learn to deal with it and let me do what I damn well like. I've already heard your opinion on the matter countless time and I RDNGAF, ok?
I'm also extremely pissed that you think I talk like a *wog*, when you know I don't really, in your definition of how they speak, and it's an insulting stereotype when misused. I 'm allowed to find that offensive because in case you haven't realised yet, *I* am pretty much what people would define as a wog (what's my mother? Hell even my dad's ancestors were even what would be defined as *wogs* today) and it is horribly derogatory, just ask my mother (she hates even us using that term) in that it comes across like you're saying that if you're a *wog* you speak badly. (so technically that just about insults Kayley too) I also find that highly insulting to the remaining intelligence that may or may not still be intact in my brain; probably the intelligence of *wogs* in general as well.

***I know you probably didn't intend for that to be insulting, ok?***

Plus the way you speak should not be a judge of what's right and what's wrong. I could escalate this argument further but it would get too political and complex for my "feeble" mind.

I'm sorry for inflicting this rant on this thread, but I'm sorry. You both know I'm not passive and if you do/say something to piss me off you'll hear about it and my reply just happens to be about something on this thread. I don't want to be a bitch to you Zara, in fact I feel bad about writing what I have, but I do think you should know that you've upset me somewhat.

Ugh, I'll probably regret this when I get some sleep.

EDIT: Yes very much feel regretful, but had to get it out, I'm sorry. >.<;;;;

Last edited:

Mr Gumby

HSC
I'm sorry, I thought a science student like you, Jeremy, would be more sympathetic to the idea that proposing a materialistic and (for the time) rationally coherent explanation for the cosmos was a useful thing to do with one's time.

We're not complaining about academic record. I was just raising a point to show how maths really is a useless subject, which I thought you of all people, Steph, would sympathise with. Then Jeremy, being the maths-lover he is, disputed it. But we all know he's wrong.

Therefore there's no reason for either of you to hurt us.

You know as well as I that this doesn't mean no more Greek. It's just no more Greek for the time being. On the subject of that, I got a letter inviting me to the Macquarie ancient languages thing, and I suppose you did too, and it said that the Armenian course assumes some knowledge of Armenian. So unless you actually do know some Armenian, I'm assuming you won't be doing that course. If not, do Akkadian instead.

I though Bio was fine. It was very short (I had about an hour left at the end - I should have left early to study for Greek) and it only tested about 25% of the course, but there were no major problems. The only thing was, in that table of diseases I was inclined to say that smallpox wasn't the most deadly, because it was eradicated twenty years ago. In the end I did say smallpox, but I think I put 'it is no longer vaccinated against' as a third reason for why it was the most deadly. I thought it was a stupid question, though.

My ancient units are Tiberius Gracchus (for the personality) and Rome 133-78BC (for the time period). Good luck with that tomorrow.

Steph's quite right not to get Facebook; what is wrong with email? I admit that I am inclined to get it myself after the exams, but that doesn't mean I'll be using it with any frequency. Facebook is the real black hole here, not Aeneid translating (so lay off ABII). It'll suck you in and you'll spend your time doing nothing else (especially once you've got no schoolwork to worry about).

HSC
A lot of maths is useless in my opinion and highly annoying to study for, but *shrugs* if you want to study for it it's not all bad. My mother announced to me yesterday "Why didn't you drop maths if you weren't going to study for it?" to which I replied "You didn't let me?". Do you know how annoying that was?

I got the letter too, but I was thinking about Modern Greek seeing as they're actually offering it. (despite it being modern) But if it's learning the alphabet and how to read greek words I don't think it'd be beneficial to me at all. I want BASIC GRAMMAR etc!

I reckon. Plus at uni I actually do want to learn how to study properly to make up for my CRAPPY HSC, so that means that Facebook would be a bad idea for someone who's as "focussed" as me.

antiphon

HSC
may I point out, Olson, that I'm not a science student? and I gave up on rational explanations for the universe a long time ago.

think how totally screwed we'd all be without maths.

so long as one is in charge of Facebook and not the other way around, it's useful.

HSC
I do like year 7 maths. :p (my sister's asking me to be her exam trial answers XD)

((she's mean she won't trade homework either! >>))

Beats ext English study. >>

Well we're both studying in front of the tv. >>

Think how totally screwed we'd be without calculators? *halo*

*shrugs* I guess I'll be getting it depending on how bored I get after the HSC or how against my 'standards' I want to go...*shrugs* I can't word this right!

Well seeing as I reckon we all have this little "gossip" circle going on we're all bound to find out about each others' "business" anyway, with or without facebook! XD

Fakhri

HSC
hey,

i think maths was good for everyone once....like everything at school it was good once..and now not so much...

well i think even with out the internet...we would still find out what everyone is doing...cause we are just like that...plus this now means...steph and ki that we have two gossip circles..hahah...

btw i don't think maths will count for me...i mean my maths mark is almost as bad as my english...yeah unfortunetly that counts..but meh...you know i wish english didn't have to...like i think they could make english compulsory..but it shouldn't have to count...cause well for me it kind of cripples my HSC...meh..all i care is that i will never have to do these ie. english and maths again in my life...well i guess i will still have to write essays/speak language...and maths cause you can't live without...damn subject is everywhere...but i will never have to do an exam on it again...yeah...

btw steph me and kayley are allowed to be stressed about ancient..cause there is soo much to learn and soo little time..but kayley should not be complaing...cause she had mmm...ages to study this week...well since monday..and i had one day..and still am not yet studying...well hopefully my memory that occasionally kicks in will work....

the bio thing was screwed...i think to, nicholas, but the thing about small pox...it did say according to the table....so if you said anything else it would not be according to the table...but your own view...plus i think the point was to give some people easy marks...plus i always love easy marks which is why things like bio are soo easy..cause its just 'here is a table..now interperate it'...its like ancient..well like the p+h sections..and all the two mark questions in athenian society...yeah easy marks...who not take them...

steph we should do armenian...next year at some point then do it at the summer school....well in two years..wow long time away...sad can't go to the summer school next year...i don't thing i will ever be able to go to summer school...cause i am always away for summer...mostly cause its long hols and i go away to see my fam.....but winter school...yeah...

plus steph..at uni, you will actual be doing things that you like...or i don't know everyone always says uni is better cause its freeer...and yeah so i guess you won't be as unfocused...cause well what you do at uni...supposedly will be what you will be dong for 50 years....which is why i think working is bad...stuck in one thing for decades......also scary thought we are almost two decades old....soo sad i am almost old...well i am old but almost actual old...

HSC
Yeah, I was much happier under the yr 7-10 system doing a bit of everything. That way you don't get sick of shit and you actually want to study because you have a variety to study for...everything except stupid PDHPE because that's always been USELESS! Shows too, when were my marks good? BACK THEN!

Yes the Greekie one and the non-Greekie one, but then again all but then again only two or so members of that aren't 'honourary Greekies'.

Yeah, I hope maths doesn't count and that chem was good enough...or by some miracle AOS was good then hopefully Ext will be good too and they'll only count half of Chem or Maths or something... Either way my HSC is FUCKED and I reckon I have done really badly. Oh well it's my fault.

Um you aced the trials you must know, well something. So stfu your memory is better than mine.

Yeah alright! I think I want to do Modern Greek this year though, just so I can get in some practice for yellings at the moral exemplars.

I won't be here for Latin Summer School...most likely...if Hamilton Island is still going to happen.

You're still not old enough to drink, so that's no fun for me. XD (only JOKING :pPP)

Yeah, our 20s is where we're supposed to find ourselves or some crap according to Oprah.

Yeah if I get into Uni. I'll probably have to commute to woop woop because I'll be forced to apply at some woop woop uni because my UAI will be * for special case. ^_< (seriously I've done SHIT all year so don't say it's bullshit!)

But yeah I think I'll be stacking up on the languages next year.
I bribed my sister to do French next year as her language though. They don't get much choice but HGHS does really well in French in the HSC from what I can remember and it's better than bloody German (which Aemilia is smart enough to hate) and Japanese (which she doesn't really want to do). Plus if I pick up French again (which is most likely) we'll be able to swear at each other and or bitch about brother etc.

Either way, HAPPY ANCIENT people! Best of luck!!!!!

Mr Gumby

HSC
Did you giving up on rational explanations coincide with the start of the HSC year, by any chance?

I agree that maths is useful and important of course, but my point is that, at this stage, it does not have any practical relevance for the vast majority of people in their daily lives (unless you're planning a career in engineering or so forth). So I object to people being goaded into maths because it is somehow seen as important for them. At this stage, I don't see how it's any more 'relevant' (whatever that means) than Latin or Greek.

How did you find ancient? Personally, we thought it was a stupid paper, since it didn't really test anything, and didn't give us any opportunity to use our sources, or, indeed, 85% of what we'd learned. I've just spent a year learning literally a hundred pages of notes, only to use precisely none of it in the exam. Very pissed off!

Fakhri

HSC
nicholas...firstly maths is everywhere...sorry to say it...i mean like everywhere..i don't like maths that much but it is everywhere..just like english...although i hate it i can't escape it...so neither can you...sorry to tell you...

well i hate ancient....really hated it....lets just not mention it.....every again...k...

steph if you go to Hamilton island..make sure you drive the buggy...when i went well i was tiny..and hence wasn't allowed...but you will be..yeah...deffinetly drive one.....you will have soo much fun if you go...

and i thought everyone was meant to find themselves in their teens..isn't that the point..to go through high school...and everything that comes with it and in the at the end..for you to know who you are..and then start your life as adult...well yeah that didn't happen to me..but hopefully in my 20's i will figure out well everything...but who knows...

all i can say is currently..i feel really free...i know i still have one more exam..which i have to ace..but besides..free...yeah.....only one more..and its only 2 hours....did you know i have done 23hrs of exams...thats almost an entire day's worth........which is probably why the people at school know me...well i don't know her name but she is the managing person for the HSC at our school.....

Fakhri

HSC
btw...good luck for tommorrow everyone for ext english....haha...should never do more than forced..but good luck...

Mr Gumby

HSC
Zara, what did I just say? I'm aware that maths is everywhere, but my point is, when will the average person need to know calculus or advanced trigonometry? The likely answer is never. Of course maths is importnat, but classics are too, though for a different reason. And because maths in the higher years is so specialised and academic, I don't think you can justify saying it is somehow more relevant than other subjects.

Sorry to hear about ancient. Our options were fine, but didn't you think it was a bit lazy of the examiners to put 20 marks on the agora and the acropolis in the Athens section, given they're basically the same topic?

Yes, no more English for me, ever. It was a pretty decent exam, though. And I didn't even write about Socrates in my creative.

HSC
Probably slightly more than they'll need to translate Ancient Greek, at an guess. But it's not the topics that're important in maths, it's the way they train you to think. For classics too, yes, but maths is the only subject in which you need to think in that particular way.

The essay was good, I didn't much like the creative stimulus. It resulted in their being an odd incidence of men with lockets O___o. I mean, seriously, "Write an original short story about a locket demonstrating your knowledge of the ways of thinking in nineteenth century England." Essentially what we were meant to do. D:

Fakhri

HSC
Glad english was not that bad...but the creative sounded very weird......well at least its over...well thats what i say about every exam...

closer to the end...yah...

btw nicholas...well at least you have accepted that maths is important..but granted i don't think i will ever use trig again....but ki you are right it does teach you to think in a specific way....
..but sorry to tell you this but classics is more fun...than actual useful...cause well it only ever taught me to guess and mostly proved to me i can study the night before stuff and still pass..just through memory...i mean i think later on in life i wil just remember greek/latin as fun..and mostly remember about sitting in greek talking over teachers..and having conversations no one else understands in latin..yah...

btw...yes i do think the athenian society thing was bad...i don't think i wrote enough...i ran out of time..it was just bad...really really bad..and i wrote similar things in both the response for athenian society...yeah..just bad...no more talking about it...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)