Classical Greek Cont. & Ext. Class of 07 (1 Viewer)

Mr Gumby

HSC
The ideas in Star Wars aren't original though. The whole idea is the fight against the evil empire by a small group of renegades. That's as old as the Persian Wars! At their core, Lord of the Rings and Star Wars are very similar. Just substitute the Empire for Mordor, Luke Skywalker for Frodo and Yoda or Obi Wan Kenobi for Gandalf. The difference is that Tolkein knew how to write, and he knew how to create a real mythology with depth and quality. George Lucas took a fairly standard story, set it in the future, made all the names even stupider than in Lord of the Rings, added some whizbang technology and removed all the deeper mythology that informed Lord of the Rings. I acknowledge that George Lucas has a good imagination for inventing worlds and characters and gizmos, but it's like a 10-year-old's imagination. He invents all this stuff, but it's all so two-dimensional. Tolkein's Middle Earth is much deeper - I mean, it is actually possible to learn his Elvish language. There is a deep, deep learning behind Lord of the Rings that Star Wars totally lacks.

I agree with Julia that the ewoks were great. I liked them, and if George Lucas had made a movie about ewoks I would have watched it and enjoyed it. As for Yoda, pithy soundbites like his don't count as wisdom with me. He's just syntactically dysfunctional.

Yes, we do have different tastes, obviously. I like sad endings and I like people to die in my movies. Obviously you don't. I'll try not to comment on your typos.

Maybe it's because tennis is on Channel 7, with Channel 7 commentators that I don't like it. But aside from watching Roger Federer, I just don't find the game very interesting. Maybe it's because I played cricket that I prefer watching it. I'm also inclined to agree with Zara that all sports are boring, though.

Have fun on your weekend away, by the way.

HSC
The unoriginality of the ideas in Star Wars could almost be called the point. Lucas appropriated Joseph Campbell's The Hero's Quest (at least I think that's what it's called -- Campbell studies mythology and this particular bit is what he believes are the basic points of any heroic myth). Campbell sounds like a complete and utter twat, but Lucas' point was to create a kind of mythological story. I'm not going to argue whether he pulled it off or not, because I haven't seen any of the more decent movies for years.

You can't compare Star Wars to Lord of the Rings. One's five movies of varying quality, the other is an entire world.

You need some happy endings and some sad endings. I can't believe you said 'happiness is overrated', because it's the only thing that isn't D:

It was better when Pat Rafter played. But still much more enjoyable. Nothing happens in cricket.

We did ^___^. I should turn my phone on more often o_O

Mr Gumby

HSC
This is quite a long message, so I'll get this out of the way at the start, in case you've lost interest by the end. Did you get the messages I sent about Facebook? If not, to cut a long story short I can't get a broadband package that is compatible with my computer - my operating system is too old. This means I'm going to have to get a new computer, which could obviously take a while. I'm not going to rush it, but I did say I'd get Facebook, and I will. So don't get angry at me for not having Facebook yet.

Creating a mythology was Tolkein's point too - the difference is that Tolkein knew what he was doing. You can create all the funny creatures and pseudo-Asian philosophies you like, but that doesn't lift Star Wars above the level of a childish action movie, and the reason is because the way it's told - the dialogue and the acting, which Zara thinks don't matter - is so bad the movies have no credibility. Tolkein's books were much better written, the films were better acted, and both were inspired by a much deeper knowledge of the sort of mythology they were trying to imitate.

The point is that you can compare Star Wars and Lord of the Rings, because they both fit into the quest/good v. evil category. They both aim to create an entire world, but Tolkein does it more fully than Lucas. Also, Lord of the Rings is three books/movies of pretty uniformly good quality, whereas Star Wars was three films that were sort of watchable, with a further three unwatchable ones added as an afterthought when he realised how profitable the whole thing was.

I didn't actually say happiness was overrated. If I did say anything like that, I'll revise it to 'happiness in movies and books is overrated'. Of course I don't think happiness itself is overrated, but the world is not a happy place, and a book that tries to represent it as such by depicting everything coming good in the end is not being truthful to this, I think. The fact is that the world is an overwhelmingly sad place, and that there are much more likely to be dilemmas and problems than happy resolutions.

I think we were arguing about the endings of the Odyssey and the Aeneid last Friday. The Odyssey gives a happy ending - Odysseus returns home to his loving wife, he kills a whole bunch of suitors, but never mind, there are no consequences for that, because the gods stop their relatives from taking revenge. I think this is a bad ending because it is grossly simplistic. By having the gods stop the relatives taking revenge, it implies (actually, it explicates) that Odysseus was in the right and perfectly justified in massacring the suitors, and that he should suffer no consequences for it. It's made worse by the fact that the ending is brought about so awkwardly and abruptly. The Odyssey probably could have been at least two books shorter.

The Aeneid's ending is a sad ending. Aeneas gets to Italy, his destined home, but nobody wants him there and they try to kick him out. Aeneas fights a war he doesn't want to fight, loses a number of friends, and in the end wins. But to do so he has to kill Turnus, who turns out to be a sympathetic, human character, despite being the bad guy for the last four books. The poem ends with Aeneas murdering someone he was going to save in a fit of rage, with a description of Turnus' soul descending to the underworld. It's sad because it dwells on themes of destruction, loss, responsibility and justification, and it doesn't offer any simple answer. The duel between Turnus and Aeneas is told like the duel between Hector and Achilles in the Iliad, only here Aeneas plays the part of Achilles. He becomes like the person who destroyed his home, and he fails to take pity on someone in the situation he was in. By leaving out the reconciliation that Homer had - the returning of the body, the funeral etc. - Vergil leaves us with the problem of the justification of the Roman mission and the destruction it causes both to Aeneas and to the people around him. Maybe it is sad, but life is sad, and at least it has the honesty not to whitewash the problem.

A happy ending in a comedy is OK, but Star Wars and the Odyssey aren't comedies. Even then, a touch of sadness does elevate the whole thing. The Marriage of Figaro ends happily, with the Countess forgiving the Count for being unfaithful. But the simple fact that he says 'forgive me' and she says 'I will' doesn't change the fact that she'd earlier been singing about how she knew that the Count didn't really love her anymore. In other words, it's obvious that life for them is going to go on much as it always has. It's a happy ending, and the opera certainly makes you happy in the end, but it comes quite close to being tragic, and I think that makes it a better piece.

I've probably said more than needed to be said. My opinion is just that if you're going to write a book (and what I've said really applies to books more than movies) that says something meaningful about the world in which we live, you can't pretend that everything ends happily, because it hardly ever does. I know not everyone reads books because they're profound, but if I want simple entertainment I watch TV. If I'm going to read a book I'd like it to be a good book.

Sorry, that went way too far.

You think watching Pat Rafter was better than watching Roger Federer? Federer is a much better player. I suppose watching Rafael Nadal would be good too, but he hasn't been to the Australian Open for a while has he? I certainly haven't seen him on TV.

As for nothing happening in cricket, that's the whole point. I don't watch sport because I'm genuinely interested. I watch it because I'm bored, or I want something to relax in front of. I want something that I don't have to pay full attention to, so I can read a book or flick between channels or whatever. I like the leisureliness of cricket; the slow pace is a good thing as far as I'm concerned. The reason I chose it as my summer sport was because it meant being able to sit under a tree at Kings or Riverview for half a day doing nothing. It's all very relaxed. A much more civilised way to play sport that working your arse off on a tennis court.

HSC
That did go way too far. I'd attempt to answer some bits, but I'm lazy and tired and can't see properly o_O. I can't actually see what I"m typing properly.

No, I would not prefer to watch Rafter than Federer - I meant there were other good players to watch. Back when I watched tennis. Besides which, he's awesome to watch not-on-television.

I don't think being civilised is the point of sport. And standing for several hours in the sun doing very little doesn't sound very civilised to me.

antiphon

HSC
Nick, I'm just going to ignore everything you said.

watching Federer at work makes it all worthwhile. :) and there are still good players to watch. besides, Ki, now you get to see him prancing around in his underpants, ain't that a treat.

sport philosophy. *shudders*

dammit no Facebook access XD

Mr Gumby

HSC
I'm sorry I got so carried away. Steph hasn't answered any of her messages yet so I didn't have anything else to do. By the way, if she's not answering because I'm not on Facebook yet, tell her that is (a) hypocritical, since she didn't want to get it at first either, and (b) quite childish. I told you I'd get Facebook and I will. I don't know whether that's the case or not, but I think Zara said you'd ignore me till I go Facebook. You may have to ignore me for a while if so.

Don't worry, you don't have to answer it. Just assume I'm right and let's move on.

What do you mean he's awesome to watch not-on-television? Do you mean that ad for razors with him and Tiger Woods and Thierry Henry? Hang on, that's still on television...

You're right, it's not. And because all my cricket teams were crap, I remember having to stand out in the sun for quite some time, because we weren't good enough to bowl them out. Come to think of it, I didn't like cricket much when I was playing it. The one good thing (this won't mean much to Julia, but Jeremy will get it) was that Girik was in my team. Whenever he got a wicket he used to do the Dodo Dance, and I think once he did the Aborigine Dance at Kings during a drinks break. Seeing the looks on the other team's faces was priceless. I think I just prefer watching other people play it.

You're probably right that being civilised isn't the point of sport, but I don't like sport much, so I'd prefer it if it were leisurely and slow and not particularly intense. It's easier for me to handle that way.

Last edited:

antiphon

HSC
Nick- at least go to the afters tomorrow. 11:30, corner of King and Kent streets. and haha girls, apparently any other girls, even non-partners, are welcome to attend.

HSC
I think Steph is probably not replying due to sleeping and formal preparation.

Assuming you're right is bad for general health.

...No, I meant, when sitting in a stadium watching tennis, he is good to watch. o_O

Kanga-cricket all the way XD. That at least was interesting.
...oh dear XDD

Probably right? *shakes head*

Baha afters. Our afters were funny. We were in a club, in a room which smelt of the taxidermy/witch shop at Newtown, with the floor vibrating terribly, some funky lights which made people's shirts and Meg's dress glow blue, and we were all kind of dazed until about 1am. Oh, and we attracted freaks outside. As a group, as well as personally. D:.
I think I'm still angry at Meg and Alex for taking off down Oxford st. at midnight without telling us where they were going. At least they didn't go back there, I guess.

And yes, Nicholas, go to your afters *peer pressure*

antiphon

HSC
oh, that sounds like fun. XD considering my partner won't be there, and I can't drink. XD
um, isn't it a compliment if you get propositioned by some random person?
guy behaviour dictates that you simply high-five them with a knowing smile (wink is optional), the next time you see them. :D

you can all drag him along if you like :D although I think there's a $5 entry fee or something. XD

HSC
...I'm very confused XD
See, I wouldn't call someone yelling 'slut' at us from a car as they drove past 'getting propositioned' XD (if the freak comment was what you were talking about o_O) And by 'group' I meant 'grade', and by 'personally' I meant 'us three plus misc. friends' XD

Maybe not XD I'm not sure I can convince my father to pick me up in the early hours of the morning two nights in a row. And there was an 'apparently' which isn't very certainty making XD

Mr Gumby

HSC
Jeremy, going to your afters (not my afters, Julia, their afters) is the very last thing I want to do. I'm tired and cranky and I am not going out at 11:30 in the evening. Anyway, my parents wouldn't let me. You may think that doesn't matter, but they'd be the ones picking me up, so in fact it does. And I wouldn't pay $5 for the privilege. So I guess I'll be seeing you at Speech Day - are you getting a general merit prize or something? Oh by the way, I saw Sam Allchurch and Dan Carter at the opera on Friday. Apparently Daniel Reynolds insulted a friend of Julia's at a party. Anyway, I mentioned what he said and we all agreed it was very Reynolds.

Yeah, she sent me a text to that effect. I didn't mean to sound so impatient, but I was in a bit of a bad mood, so she probably suffered for it. Not her fault. How did your formal go by the way?

Normally I don't have to assume, but I think it's quite good for your health.

I see. I wouldn't bother actually going to a sports match. It's just something I watch when the only alternatives are stuff like Oprah or Funniest Home Videos.

Maybe 'hey sluts' was the only way he knew to proposition ladies. If he's cruising the streets of Newtown at that time of the morning/night he probably wouldn't know any better.

I think you could ease up a bit on the smilie faces, Jeremy. You're already using XD I see.

HSC
Afters for your school means your afters, whether you want to claim them as your own or not. Perhaps you could have asked your parents, and seen what they said *shakes head* Also; are you ever not cranky?
Steph's friend, not mine.

I should reply more, but mum wants the computer.

antiphon

HSC
Nick: listen to her. and he is always cranky.

formal was good! personally, it was awesome fun. Kartik drunk is perhaps the funniest thing I saw.
afters weren't bad either. I just thought you might like to come out, grab a drink, and witness the debauchery of your fellow Grammar boys.

I too should reply more, but I have a physio appointment to rush to. XD

HSC
Rightio, continuance:

Very bad for health. So no, I still don't think you're right, I just can't tackle a bit of opinion of that magnitude at the moment.

Darlinghurst, actually.

Andand *shriek* they turned The Hogfather into a movie DDDDDDDDDD: *tearytears&tantrum*

Last edited:

Mr Gumby

HSC
OK, so bearing in mind that I am always cranky, would you like to see me when I'm especially, super duper cranky? No, probably not. Anyway, I'm not always cranky. Was I cranky the last time you saw me? If I was, maybe it's because you were throwing sticks at me and saying I should be nice to my mother and small children. In fact I wasn't cranky, so there you have it, I'm not always cranky.

I wasn't going to ask my parents in case they actually did say yes. I'm quite sure they wouldn't have, but I was happy to use them for an excuse. Jeremy, you know I don't go out, drink or enjoy the debauchery of my fellow Grammar boys. And was it that debauched? I can't imagine a drunken Kartik would look much different to a sober Kartik. Did anyone really disgrace themselves?

I thought she was your friend. At least, that's what Steph said, I think. Obviously I was wrong. Anyway, didn't he say something like 'just so you know, I'm not actually flirting with you'. I don't see him outside school, but I do hear stories and I have seen his Facebook page. That does sound like the sort of thing he'd say.

Until you actually respond to my opinion in detail, I don't think you have the right to claim I'm wrong. So come on, answer it!

Darlinghurst, that's even worse.

And finally, I should be getting Facebook soon. Zara might like to know that.

Last edited:
HSC
XDD Defensive much? :p You told us you were cranky twice in the post beforeish, and I've heard stories from Steph that you told her of you being cranky, and your saying last Friday that you were cranky and so fought with your mother *shakes head*.
Speaking of your mother, we wanted to write her a letter on here, since you said she read it :p

You never know, maybe they would have been glad to see you get out of the house at some ungodly hour O__o

Steph said she was her friend, and I remembered what he said to her. "Everybody thinks I've been flirting with you, but just so you know, I wasn't".

Watch me: You're wrong.

Oh good, I'll tell her at Maroochydore airport. We're off to schoolies tomorrow. Maybe Steph will come back on the BoS in that time, or maybe not. Find us on it, anyway, hokay?
I'd say something along the lines of 'be good', but that's a given, isn't it? Be nice to your mother. :p

Last edited:

Fakhri

HSC
hi..

hah..this is funny i was going to say that i am back..but am leaving tomorrow for a week so i guess i am not back...but i should be packing now...oh well will do it at midnight..as i usual do when i get everything done...yah midnight is the bomb i swear i litterally do everything after or about that time...i think i go a little mad after it..

well our formal wasn't that great only cause the dj was kinda bad but it was ok..bitching at stuff was good and seeing everyone..and i had a few people over to my house after and that was good we stayed up till well..we didn't actual go to bed till i got back home at um 3pm...or something...and kayley and steve had to go to work..steph and meg and i stayed up to watch the sunrise from the roof of my apartment...that was really cool..and then we all had major head aches and colds..well we were all sick..and then we went to pancakes on the rocks that was good.except i ate too much..which seems to happen to me alot...but yeah still good...

and btw the freak thing didn't just stop at darlinghurst at that weirdo club..it also happened when were outside my apartment near townhall...some ramdoms drove past then backed up..whistled and then left...that was weird then some random while we were waiting for my sister walked past and asked if we were ok..i dont particularly think he was that weird but still...yep ramdom stuff/freaks just seem to love us...not that we do anything particularly....and besides just cause we were wearing dresses..sort of short shouldn't matter..god ....

btw nicholas...i don't think i am particularly mad at you or anything..i think i just like annoying you cause i can sooo easily...you should just learn to not take things too seriously and just i don't know...just don't let me annoy you...its just too easy to resist....btw all i wanted is for you to say that you will get facebook...cause as well all know we need to let this forum go...really do...i think its a bit sad...

btw the sport thing as i said i like the atmosphere..and the i get hooked on people i like to watch and then just get hooked in general...like at cricket i love to watch well ponting...and for like golf..which i am totally into now...aaron bradley (whatever i can't spell) and he is just soo cool...and not bad to look at either...yeah ok i am superficial we all know that..and why can't i have eye candy...right whatever...

right now must watch the last episode of OTH...for a week..soo sad...oh i love that show...

right nicholas dito to what ki said..Be Nice to your mother....and just so you know we will meet her at some point..you cant stop that..

HSC
Yeah Nicholas, not a good idea to take your bad moods out on me again in case I actually decide to get nasty, okies?

I replied so you better be happy now!

I said she was *my* friend I never mentioned the other two, to clear that up.

You do seem to get a little too defensive sometimes.

Yeah Zara watching the sun come up from the West :)P) and your shadow photos! XD WOO! Walking like zombies to Pancakes on the Rocks! (yeah Zara you suck what happened to you eating everything normally!)

I swear the next time I catch a guy gawking, looking me/us up and down and general checking out and whistling or any other noises ever again I will get severely rageful and violent. I ABSOLUTELY CANNOT STAND THAT SHIT!

I'd rather watch dodgy ABC kids than sport!

Oh yes, I guess I'm back! Just in time to be made a major loner thanks to Ki and Zara! >> << >>

chrisx000

HSC
Did you guys have any knowledge in ancient greek before you chose the subject? and do you guys recommend doing it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)