Classical Greek Continuers!!! (1 Viewer)

Methalos

HSC
what? so you just spend year 11 and 12 translating and not learning any new grammar?
No we learn new grammar but just not from a textbook. Tbh there's not really anything else to learn at that point other than minor occurrences. And these things are peculiar to particular authors. The best way to learn them is by practice at actually reading them and learning them from practice. The thing that becomes really important is the use of particles but no textbook is going to teach you that satisfactorily since each author uses them differently and so the only possible way to learn is by practice.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
No we learn new grammar but just not from a textbook. Tbh there's not really anything else to learn at that point other than minor occurrences. And these things are peculiar to particular authors. The best way to learn them is by practice at actually reading them and learning them from practice. The thing that becomes really important is the use of particles but no textbook is going to teach you that satisfactorily since each author uses them differently and so the only possible way to learn is by practice.
I see, you're learning 'stylistic grammar'. I'm just interested to know as i'm very new to classical Greek and only started it at the beginning of the year. I was interested in what the highschool to uni learning rate ratio was, we start unaltered greek next semester =p I think it's challenging as hell but pretty fun at the same time. Wish i had done it in high school.

Kikkoman

HSC
Nice to see people picking up Greek post-HSC, -may-cat-!!
Methalos, are you Branden, Victor or the other guy? (I think his name might be Jonathan?) I picked both the b) essays, as did Thomas; Julian picked both a)s. We didn't really talk about it post exam, but Julian hated the Plato unseen. Julian just hates Plato unseens in general! Huzzah! :p
Also, tku336 goes to Grammar, as per his profile information; hence, he would be in your year! :p

Methalos

HSC
I'm the other one. And yes I know he goes to our school. I think I've worked out who he is from the subjects in his signature but I'm not certain.

odothehero

HSC
and 2 guys from Melbourne (who don't offer Greek down there, so they do it through us).
I'm pretty sure you're not compared with us in Melbourne. We do the BoS exam, but we get marked by VCAA.

Oh, and there's like 25 of us here :)

Kikkoman

HSC
Oh k, fair enough. That's interesting then... so, we have 11 doing continuers = 3 SBHS, 3 SGS, 2 Pymble, 2 Trinity and 1 other... interesting... And we have 8 doing extension; 3 SBHS, 3 SGS, 2 Pymble. Hmmm, yesss, *strokes chin*
Nice to know there's so much Greek enthusiasm down in Melbourne!

angelita

HSC
I wish I did Classical Greek! That would've been amazing. I did Modern Greek continuers + extension and the exams were pretty good, especially extension - I was surprised by how easy it was. Unless I was totally off and got it all wrong lol.

There were only 12 in my continuers class and 3 in my extension, including me. Good to know there are still people keeping the Elliniko spirit going. :)

How did everyone else find the Greek exams?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)