clerkship applications (1 Viewer)

iwannarock

HSC
MaryJane said:
Yes! At least I think it was you. As I said, it was the hair.

There was the dude with the bug in his thumb... that was just gross.

I'm Yvette (a bit of a non-event, dont have bugs under my skin). My interesting thing was that I'm learning French. Sat next to Courtney - the musical chick who is just lovely. I like the Columbian girls' accents.

Susanna is cool, too. I also thought she was going to Dr Rybak on us, but she is cool. Liked watching the Die Hard video.... although I've never seen Die Hard, it still made sense. Obviously not much of a storyline in there ;)
that tute was interesting. havent had an "introduce urself thing" since 1st year.

hahha the bug story was nuts.

i was the guy who said i was a dunce at law (my subtle pre-emptive strike against her getting angry when i come unprepared).

you must of been sitting pretty close to me because i was only a few seats from that courtney girl. hahaha she played flute thats awesome. it made me think of this.

do you wear glasses?

i think i know who you are then.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Haha, I can just see Court playing the flute like that! ;)

Yep, I wear glasses from time to time... when I havent lost them. Can't see far away things.. dont know what its called... short-sightedness maybe? You were sitting next to the exchange chicks, weren't you?

I think IP will be great. But a guy in another tute told me that its a lot of work, which is a bit crap. But he did do it as a summer school unit, so that might be different (ie. more intensive).

iwannarock

HSC
MaryJane said:
Haha, I can just see Court playing the flute like that! ;)

Yep, I wear glasses from time to time... when I havent lost them. Can't see far away things.. dont know what its called... short-sightedness maybe? You were sitting next to the exchange chicks, weren't you?

I think IP will be great. But a guy in another tute told me that its a lot of work, which is a bit crap. But he did do it as a summer school unit, so that might be different (ie. more intensive).
yep i was sitting next to them. one of them said their name and i was like :confused: .

crazy accents.

i hope ip is ok. im guessing there'll be a lot of reading. i hope theres some youtube video watching in there too.

that die hard song is still stuck in my head.

:santa:

HSC
i'm doing IP too - i never seem to be with u two in tutes i'm in the 9 am one.
anyone else doing modern corporate governance? also, what biz orgs tutes are u guys in?

Tabris

HSC
MaryJane said:
Yep, I wear glasses from time to time... when I havent lost them. Can't see far away things.. dont know what its called... short-sightedness maybe? Y
I cannot see very far too, its called myopia and given the amounts of reading and time in front of PC i think i need a new pair before i graduate.

Last edited:

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Scarecrow, change to our tute! Its right after the Bus Org lecture! We can have a BoS party!! :D

I'm in the Wed 4-6 Bus Org tute... apparently its run by a lawyer, which is a nice, refreshing change to the normal tutors.

Tabris, can anyone seriously read the 11-level of writing? Far out its small!!

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
*jumps up and down*

How exciting, I met IWR!! And he was such a gentleman; he shook my hand!

With a name like John, one day you will be a high-flying lawyer for sure. Its destiny.

You really have de-stressed me though exam time, though. Always make me laugh. I love Scarecrow and IWR both so v. muchly! :D

/ends mushy post

iwannarock

HSC
MaryJane said:
*jumps up and down*

How exciting, I met IWR!! And he was such a gentleman; he shook my hand!

With a name like John, one day you will be a high-flying lawyer for sure. Its destiny.

You really have de-stressed me though exam time, though. Always make me laugh. I love Scarecrow and IWR both so v. muchly! :D

/ends mushy post
nice meeting you too.:wave:

i owe you both many drinks at the bar one day.

my middle name is LAWrence.

everything seems like i was destined to become a lawyer.

apart from the fact that i suck at law and have terrible marks.

but i have the word law in my middle name.

surely to a prospective employer thats all that matters.

"omg......barry.....barry.......check out this resume.........the guy has law in his middle name"

"....."

"hes hired".

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
So, guys, please reassure me that we are not expected to know the answer to the Bus Org hypothetical yet....

Right?

Because I have no idea.

I've heard people have started on that question. And I'm worried :(

HSC
awww i wanta meet u guys...

biz orgs... have had a look, it didn't look too bad but no i haven't started it yet. anyone else think the word limit's crazy short for an essay??

meanwhile, since we're in a clerkship thread, so far i've been invited to interviews at Clayton Utz, Minter Ellison, Deacons, Sparke Helmore and Dibbs... wish me luck (in aceing the interviews as well as finding time to attend them :) )

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Wow, Scarecrow that is fantastic!! Congrats!! I have a friend going to Sparke Helmore, she was telling me about the pre-interview drinks that you have to attend, and how they are getting you drunk the night before the actual interview... or something like that.

I used to always want to work for Deacons, until we had to represent a solicitor from there (family law issue) and he was a complete ass, knew nothing, totally unorganised, and then refused to pay the bill! Ha!

Bus Org is looking much better now after last weeks lecture. So I can breathe a sigh of relief. Getting started on the CSR one because its short and sweet. Yes, the wordcount is crazy; it got worse when the tutor pointed out it includes footnotes.

HSC
thank you my lovelies :) it was nice to get at least a response from some firms considering how long it took me to do all those applications.

my first pref is Minter Ellison - i know a lady who works in their IP department (which is what i want to do) and she's incredible - it would be great to work with her (she's also written a ref for me, so hopefully that will go down well)

but really, my main preference is a firm that will actually take me! it's pretty damn competitive - a girl from mac last year got 8 interviews, only one offer - and her grades were better than mine. i'm a bit worried that they'll put me through the whole interviewing process and then just pick those with the highest grades - grr my gpa would be so much higher if i hadn't managed so many 74s

iwannarock

HSC
scarecrow_of_oz said:
grr my gpa would be so much higher if i hadn't managed so many 74s
well what you need to do is walk in to the interview with a shirt with this on it.

"gpa?........gpa?................what about.......................WAAAAAAAAAAAAM"

*rips off business shirt revealing wham t shirt underneath*

*begins singing wake me up before you go go*

that'll impress them.

HSC
Add two - Holding Redlich and Middletons. Up to 7 - woot!

So far it's been pretty interesting - two people fainted at the Clayton Utz information evening the heat was so bad - now that's a way to get attention!

Belinda

O_o
HSC
Waah totally forgot about this thread!

Congrats Scarecrow!! So many interviews!! Best of luck, do tell us how it goes.

I've been getting rejection letters left and right, how depressing. :(

In other news, I'm in IP too! But the 2pm Monday tute.

HSC
i know how it feels - i've had about 10 rejections although i didn't really want to get one at baker or allens etc. one of my 4.0 friends has had mostly rejections as well which i find quite strange - who wouldn't want to at least interiew someone who has a 4.0 in law??

Belinda

O_o
HSC
Maybe they also want people with extracurricular or work experience too? Who knows what their criteria might be like. :confused:

Tabris

HSC
GoodToGo said:
Anyone who's interested in finding out what big-firm life is like (with a few embelishments) should check out the Anonymous Lawyer blog, fictional entries written from the perspective of a partner at a big firm (he also has a book out).

http://anonymouslawyer.blogspot.com/

A hilarious recent post:

Monday, August 20, 2007

An associate invited me to his wedding this past weekend. I assume he was hoping that actually being at the wedding would make me more willing to give him a half-day off for his honeymoon, but no such luck. I made up for it by giving him a fairly substantial gift certificate to the firm cafeteria as a wedding present. I don't think I've seen his wife come by the office too often to join him for a quick dinner down there, so hopefully this will give them the opportunity to get a little more time together. I felt uncomfortable the whole time I was there. It bothers me that this associate has friends, and family that's still speaking to him. It means we're not working him hard enough. I fear I've failed him. I'll have to work harder at getting him some time-consuming assignments this next quarter. Part of me felt like I didn't need to give him a gift at all. After all, the cost of the firm health insurance his wife will now qualify for dwarfs the gift I gave him. Isn't health insurance the best present anyone can receive anyway?

I looked at his wedding website before I went to the affair, so I could remember his name and what he looked like. I laughed when I scrolled through his wedding registry. When does he think he'll have time to use a serving plate or a toothbrush holder? He should be brushing his teeth at work. If he only brushes his teeth when he's at home, they'll all fall out. No one at the firm is home often enough to restrict his dental care to the bathroom in his house. And when will he ever be home for a dinner party where he'll need service for 8? I was tempted to give him 7 of those 8 plates, 7 forks, 7 knives, to symbolize those dinner parties he's sure to have where everyone shows up but him, still stuck at the office working. That's the life he has to look forward to. Dinner parties he doesn't get to attend.

In between salad and the main course I e-mailed him an assignment from my BlackBerry, hoping he'd ignore it, hoping he'd give me reason to put him on probation, deny him his bonus. But sure enough, I saw him sneak out for a few minutes during the first dance, and fifteen minutes later I had an e-mail back from him. I looked out at him, cutting the wedding cake, and gave him a wink. Job well done. Maybe he's a keeper. Or at least until he has kids.
i have read stuff from the junior lawyers union blog....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)