• Group: Other (pelase post below)

Votes: 7 0.7%

• Total voters
L

LaraB

aaaman said:
i think about 25 bucks 4 1 hr, 40 for 2, :) it seems fair
believe me - that's cheap.

for someone who's a uni student who got high end 90's UAI who knows their stuff expect to pay no less than $30/hr at least if you want quality....

most of us don't see it as profitable for less since we have uni work to do as well and if you have a decent tutor, you're not just paying for the hour or 2 per week- you should be getting ghelp with past papers, writing past essays or questions for them to 'mark', extra sheets of info which take time to do...

soso

HSC
N/A
I notice that tutoring subjects are maths english science etc. Anyone get tutoring in Visual Arts? How much does it cost? Who does it ? and where??????

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
LaraB said:
believe me - that's cheap.

for someone who's a uni student who got high end 90's UAI who knows their stuff expect to pay no less than $30/hr at least if you want quality....

most of us don't see it as profitable for less since we have uni work to do as well and if you have a decent tutor, you're not just paying for the hour or 2 per week- you should be getting ghelp with past papers, writing past essays or questions for them to 'mark', extra sheets of info which take time to do...
exactly - i feel bad charging $30, but if you're putting in a lot of work for them and it's working, then it's justified, especially if you have to travel to them.

ancient_nut

It depends on the subject, and the experience of the tutor. I think humanities tuition should start at $20 for individual/ group (for a first year uni student), but go up depending on experience (e.g. I charge $25- cheap for my experience- as a second year pre-honours student who's had vast experience teaching adults and children in individual and class situations). Some first years charge $40/ hour from the get-go and I think that's a rip-off, as I doubt they've had the experience needed to justify that (also, most teachers only charge $50! :p)

L

LaraB

ancient_nut said:
It depends on the subject, and the experience of the tutor. I think humanities tuition should start at $20 for individual/ group (for a first year uni student), but go up depending on experience (e.g. I charge $25- cheap for my experience- as a second year pre-honours student who's had vast experience teaching adults and children in individual and class situations). Some first years charge $40/ hour from the get-go and I think that's a rip-off, as I doubt they've had the experience needed to justify that (also, most teachers only charge $50! :p)
hardly know anyone who charges $40.... first year or otherwise..

and regardless- being at uni longer doens't make you a better tutor...

especially for things like enlgish where the longer you've been at uni, the more irrelevant your knowledge is in relation to AOS etc...

ther's no reason why a 1st year student isn't as or more capable than a 5th year studeht in tutoring a high school kid... high school work has nothing to do with uni work so if you understand the high school stuff's that's all that matters.. extra 'uni level' info students are given is largely irrelvant coz it isn't partof the marking criteria and outcomes...

ancient_nut

LaraB said:
hardly know anyone who charges $40.... first year or otherwise..

and regardless- being at uni longer doens't make you a better tutor...

especially for things like enlgish where the longer you've been at uni, the more irrelevant your knowledge is in relation to AOS etc...

ther's no reason why a 1st year student isn't as or more capable than a 5th year studeht in tutoring a high school kid... high school work has nothing to do with uni work so if you understand the high school stuff's that's all that matters.. extra 'uni level' info students are given is largely irrelvant coz it isn't partof the marking criteria and outcomes...
A lot of first years are still kids, let's face it... It's not really about how long you've been at uni, though, it's about the experience you've had with students. And tutors who've had lots of students AND keep up with the syllabus (like me- shameless plug) are far better than those who've just gone through, know the stuff, but don't know how to pass the info on. I tend to find the older I get, the more my knowledge is respected.

Also, some pre-honours or Special Entry subjects extend on HSC knowledge. For example, I did History Extension in year 12, and am just finishing 2nd year pre-honours Ancient History. 1st semester was looking at the modern thinkers and their role in the perception of (ancient) history, and in 2nd semester we looked at the ancient thinkers. Sounds like the "What is History" unit to me (only a tad more complex :p).

I think it does make a difference, and that I, for example, am a far better tutor than when I started out (teaching in classrooms at a college certainly helps as well, gives you experience :) )

L

LaraB

ancient_nut said:
A lot of first years are still kids, let's face it... It's not really about how long you've been at uni, though, it's about the experience you've had with students. And tutors who've had lots of students AND keep up with the syllabus (like me- shameless plug) are far better than those who've just gone through, know the stuff, but don't know how to pass the info on. I tend to find the older I get, the more my knowledge is respected.

Also, some pre-honours or Special Entry subjects extend on HSC knowledge. For example, I did History Extension in year 12, and am just finishing 2nd year pre-honours Ancient History. 1st semester was looking at the modern thinkers and their role in the perception of (ancient) history, and in 2nd semester we looked at the ancient thinkers. Sounds like the "What is History" unit to me (only a tad more complex :p).

I think it does make a difference, and that I, for example, am a far better tutor than when I started out (teaching in classrooms at a college certainly helps as well, gives you experience :) )

so what - you jump from a kid to an adult in a matter of months between 1st and 2nd year? :rolleyes:

look.. you obviously didn't get what i was saying....

so i'll say again in plainer english - a 1st year student can be equally capable of being a good tutor

being at uni doesn't necessarily mean your extra knowledge is relevant and before you start going on about history - you will note that i did not say "NO UNI KNOWLEDGE WILL HELP" - so just as you say i am wrong i can equally say you are wrong as people i tutor for legal studies know that half teh stuff i learn at uni isn't covered in the syllabus or is covered incorrectly, so if you write it in an assessment you will not recieve marks or may be negatively marked for it as it is not 'correct' in the syllabus/teacher's eyes

obviously you missed my point is you feel you can negate my comment by using one hsc subject as an example.. especially as your 'theory' does not apply to other subjects

plus - just coz you're a 2nd year uni student doesn't mean you know jack sh*t.... eg a girl i tutor used to be tutored by a 3rd year LLB student assuming she'd be a better legal tutor coz of that.... neva mind that she had a GPA of 4 and WAM of around 50-ish... whereas my lowly 1st year self has a current WAM of 85 and knows the syllabus inside out so logically i'd know my stuff better....

and besides - all of this is totally irrelevant really since it doesn't mean sh*t if you can't communicate it across and your ideas aren't in line with the syllabus.. no teacher will give a sh*t if you can name every theorist covered by a uni HRM course, for business studies, and know their theories inside out when all they care about and all that you are marked on is pretty much maslow mcgregor and maybe 1 or 2 others...

so as i said - yeh fine ancient history is different but it does'nt mean the same applies to the majority of subjects.

HSC
N/A
I do private tuition for about $18 an hour. And that's at-home tuition, too (or a library or something) :)

Mind you, I'm a first-year Uni student. I don't have an uber-fantastic UAI (although it was over 90), nor do I have oodles of experience. So I figure $18 is a fair price :) I also live out where almost no-one else does, so any work is good work!

L

LaraB

deptada said:
my god, I was so ripped off. I paid $70 and $80 an hour......
holy crap! even if they're a teacher that's a bit nuts!

one of teacher's from my school who was regarded as like, the!!! best in the school - like just about everyone gets 90+ even the lesser capable students - said she charged $45 an hour if they didn't wanna send her practice essays n stuff so ie it was only the hour each week she spent on em but she charged $60 if they sent heaps of work to get checked over...

and i mean - she's like the best teacher i've eva seen

frazzle

HSC
VIsual Arts

soso said:
I notice that tutoring subjects are maths english science etc. Anyone get tutoring in Visual Arts? How much does it cost? Who does it ? and where??????
I do it :)

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
basically if you're paying more for a tutor than say for a stripper, then you know you're not getting value for money.

nedzelic

HSC
LaraB said:
holy crap! even if they're a teacher that's a bit nuts!

one of teacher's from my school who was regarded as like, the!!! best in the school - like just about everyone gets 90+ even the lesser capable students - said she charged $45 an hour if they didn't wanna send her practice essays n stuff so ie it was only the hour each week she spent on em but she charged $60 if they sent heaps of work to get checked over...

and i mean - she's like the best teacher i've eva seen
a teacher charging to read essays???? what the fuck???

L

LaraB

nedzelic said:
a teacher charging to read essays???? what the fuck???
i don't think you understood at all what i was saying..

i was referring to teachers who are acting as your tutor - they charge more if you want to send them essays 4 or 5 times a week than if you are just rocking up to a 1hour tutorial once a week as they're doing heaps of work for you out of that hour if you send them stuff so they should be paid to account for thath

nedzelic

HSC
yeah, ok, but if they weren't tutoring you, and you were just sending them your essays, would they still charge??

L

LaraB

nedzelic said:
yeah, ok, but if they weren't tutoring you, and you were just sending them your essays, would they still charge??
if they weren't your teacher or at your school - probably since its extra work on top of what's required of them

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
i tutor english & eco and mark essays with detailed feedback by email all the time and i dont charge extra. I dont see the point of charging an extra, what 5 bucks? to mark an essay.

when assessment time rolls around, i tend to go overtime as well (if i have the time)and it doesnt bother me at all.

i dont see it purely as a business transaction where every tidbit of work/labor/teaching needs to be accounted for exactly and charged accordingly. Maybe I'm just naive :rolleyes:

L

LaraB

Sarah168 said:
i tutor english & eco and mark essays with detailed feedback by email all the time and i dont charge extra. I dont see the point of charging an extra, what 5 bucks? to mark an essay.

when assessment time rolls around, i tend to go overtime as well (if i have the time)and it doesnt bother me at all.

i dont see it purely as a business transaction where every tidbit of work/labor/teaching needs to be accounted for exactly and charged accordingly. Maybe I'm just naive :rolleyes:
yes but that's because you aren't a qualified english teacher - if you started tacking on extra fees students would probably look elsewhere for a tutor...

teacher's have full time jobs so i think its fair enough to have to pay a bit extra if you're going to bombard them with stuff out of your tutoring hours and expect replies, especially as if they are a hsc teacher they'll have a heap of their own students stuff that should take priority..

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
LaraB said:
yes but that's because you aren't a qualified english teacher - if you started tacking on extra fees students would probably look elsewhere for a tutor...

teacher's have full time jobs so i think its fair enough to have to pay a bit extra if you're going to bombard them with stuff out of your tutoring hours and expect replies, especially as if they are a hsc teacher they'll have a heap of their own students stuff that should take priority..
yeah that makes sense and i completely agree but i was thinking about people like me who are just in 1st yr uni tutoring and charging extra for those things

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)