• Total voters

7th Sign

HSC
per hour rates -
hsc kids who thinks he is a top tutor - $15-$25
uni kid with some skills and good uai - $20-$30
teacher who is ok at tutoring - $30-$40
head teacher - $40-$50
head teacher with heaps of skills and good cred in the business, teaching at a high ranked school - $50-$100

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
are you insane? as in about the last line. i have never known of a tutor who charges more than 50 bucks an hour. that's a plain rip off no matter how smart and excellent you are....except for deptada's experience. that's..whow.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
what sort of magic can be spun in a single hour for +50 dollar?!?!

ridiculous

7th Sign

HSC
rnitya_25 said:
are you insane? as in about the last line. i have never known of a tutor who charges more than 50 bucks an hour. that's a plain rip off no matter how smart and excellent you are....except for deptada's experience. that's..whow.

ahh no I had a tutor for maths for a few week she writes texts books and is head teacher at a selective school she is $65 a hour...

my english tutor I had for a lil while was $55/hour aswell

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
wow that's insane. in my opinion, i think its a waste of time to go to really high class prople, like text book writers, i think the writer of cambridge mathematics is the head teacher of james ruse or something. he tutors, but people say he's crap because he's a little too up himself. he prolly charges such high rates too. you can find really good tutors for better rates, around 25 bucks.

babiisapphire

Tennis Fan
HSC
wow.. some ppl pay alot for tutoring! well i go to group tutoring and im paying like $10 per hr from a uni student and $12.50 per hr for tutoring from high school teachers (one selective the other private skool)

abbashussein

'06 Graduate
HSC
WHO does physics and chemistry tutoring 4 a reasonable r8..
looking 4 about 2 hours each subj per week.....

Tuna

HSC
N/A
7th Sign said:
ahh no I had a tutor for maths for a few week she writes texts books and is head teacher at a selective school she is $65 a hour...

my english tutor I had for a lil while was $55/hour aswell
Not worth it because you didn't get the uai you wanted

vizman

HSC
one of my friends hired an english teacher from one of those expensive private schools ~ $90/hr

Riviet

HSC
N/A
tactic said:
What do you think are reasonable rates for tutoring? This is for both private and group based tutoring! would you pay more for someone who had a better reputation?
For private, I'd say $30-40 per hour is fair, as long as the student is benifitting as much as they can from the tuition and the teacher is decent.

For group, probably $15-25, same reasoning as before.

I'd definitely offer more if needed for someone with a higher rep, especially if they just completed their HSC, scored high in that subject, and still have their knowledge fresh in their minds.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
abbashussein said:
WHO does physics and chemistry tutoring 4 a reasonable r8..
looking 4 about 2 hours each subj per week.....
Click here for information on my Chemistry tutoring offers.

If you drag along a couple of friends I can make it $30 for two hours. Is that reasonable? :p

(Sorry for advertising here. I'd PM you, but you need to go to User CP, options, and enable Private Messaging first.)

tigerian

HSC
N/A
I was OFFERED $55 an hour to tutor a lad inYear 10 2006. They will pay me $60 when he gets to year 12.

Ian Mcalpin

ooclareoo

HSC
soso said:
I notice that tutoring subjects are maths english science etc. Anyone get tutoring in Visual Arts? How much does it cost? Who does it ? and where??????
i'm going to start today tutoring someone in art theory, but i wasnt sure how much to charge, cos i never had any tutoring in high school at all
my "credentials" - uai 95.2, art theory mark - 50/50 (for trials + internal stuff) overall art mark 94
the student is driving to my place for tutoring... is $25/h reasonable? i don't see how it would really be worth my time for much less, i have uni work and stuff to do too
i never heard of anyone getting art tutoring before either

EATAPIE

BMW>>>>Mercedes (see sig)
HSC
kimmeh said:
30ph is expensive for anyone. tutoring colleges charge about 20ph with qualified teachers teachnig you. If not less-Mind you this is in groups. I know a tutor (who has his own college) charges 130 ph one on one. Im guessing he's giving you more than tutoring in the hour.
hahahah. $130!! that's absolutely ridiculous.

EATAPIE

BMW>>>>Mercedes (see sig)
HSC
ooclareoo said:
i'm going to start today tutoring someone in art theory, but i wasnt sure how much to charge, cos i never had any tutoring in high school at all
my "credentials" - uai 95.2, art theory mark - 50/50 (for trials + internal stuff) overall art mark 94
the student is driving to my place for tutoring... is $25/h reasonable? i don't see how it would really be worth my time for much less, i have uni work and stuff to do too
i never heard of anyone getting art tutoring before either
$25 is ok. esp since u don't hav to travel. I charge $5 extra travelling cost.

neva say die

~~<<NeVa SaY DiE>>~~
HSC
I'm doing $20-$25 and the students I have are very happy. Its more 1-to-1 and helps the student with their problem rather than stacks of notes or group info.

Any one up for it? English, Maths, Economics and Business Studies.

Affinity

HSC
hmm Depends on how much the tutor does.. for private tutoring the tutor should be doing atleast half an hour of work utside for each hour of contact. so I think 30 will be fair. If the tutor doesn't do much then 20ish. Add some for eastern suburbs and the north, take some away for the west

Last edited:

bellybutton

HSC
N/A
i find it weird people justifying themselves being paid 15-20 for private tutoring by reason that they are first year uni with no experience. it's selling yourself short! i think as long as your pretty able with what your teaching you should charge at the bare minimum 30 and upwards especially if you need to spend a fair bit of time travelling or drive. parents and kids out there are quite prepared to pay that kind of money especially since the demand for tutors is pretty high.

Abtari

HSC
bellybutton said:
i find it weird people justifying themselves being paid 15-20 for private tutoring by reason that they are first year uni with no experience. it's selling yourself short! i think as long as your pretty able with what your teaching you should charge at the bare minimum 30 and upwards especially if you need to spend a fair bit of time travelling or drive. parents and kids out there are quite prepared to pay that kind of money especially since the demand for tutors is pretty high.
yeh i agree unless ur relli despearte for tutees

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)