Colerigde - How many poems? (1 Viewer)

SiZmOs

"Shaken, not stirred."
HSC
we should call again and ask someone else - its like when you call a help line for anything - you get different answers from different people.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
I dunno, maybe it is in their power, and they've done crazier things in the past (just look at the english syllabus, for one).

But it seems odd that they'd phrase the question like,

"in your answer, you must refer to your set text, which must be The Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner if you're doing Coleridge, an article from the stimulus book which must be Blood on the Tracks, and at least THREE other related material"

(just to put everyone's worst-case scenarios together)

SiZmOs

"Shaken, not stirred."
HSC
again, im with the ghey man. there are so many possibilities on offer for everyone. especially considering there are the advanced set texts and the general set texts. i wouldn't give the possibility any more thought.

PaleReflection

i can teach you
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
I dunno, maybe it is in their power, and they've done crazier things in the past (just look at the english syllabus, for one).

But it seems odd that they'd phrase the question like,

"in your answer, you must refer to your set text, which must be The Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner if you're doing Coleridge, an article from the stimulus book which must be Blood on the Tracks, and at least THREE other related material"

(just to put everyone's worst-case scenarios together)
I was thinking that they could say "refer to your set text" and then underneath that they have a list of the different prescribed texts, and under Coleridge, instead of having a list of all four poems, specify (for example) Kubla Khan and one of your own choosing.

It seems unlikely and unfair, though.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Hmm...

Our Set Text is defined to be those 4 poems. So if they were to specify a single poem, it would be equivalent to specifying a particular scene in The Tempest, for example. Very unlikely.

PaleReflection

i can teach you
HSC
Do you know all four or have you only learnt one or two in detail?

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
I know Frost at Midnight and This Lime Tree Bower My Prison in depth.

Err... I think there's another one about a guy who kills an albatross and another about a mongolian dude :p.

PaleReflection

i can teach you
HSC
I finished making my notes on Kubla Khan and This Lime Tree Bower my Prison, and then rang the advice line and almost committed suicide. I can't stand Frost at Midnight or Ancient Mariner. Actually, I can't stand Romanticism in general. At least after Monday we'll never have to read poetry again XD

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
I freaked out yesterday when they told me my Module C Related text was not allowed and I had to start from scratch with a new related text.
I think I'll be quite happy after thursday.

hipPo3

HSC
PaleReflection said:
I finished making my notes on Kubla Khan and This Lime Tree Bower my Prison, and then rang the advice line and almost committed suicide. I can't stand Frost at Midnight or Ancient Mariner. Actually, I can't stand Romanticism in general. At least after Monday we'll never have to read poetry again XD
pffft .. after thursday theres no more fucking english .. yay!!!@!~~!~~

Romanticisim is easy .. its all about nature
just describe how he views his world.. drugs~ :)

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
While we're at it...

Coleridge - On opium
Rober Frost - alchoholic
Margaret Atwood - "Mushrooms..."

Imaginative journeys should be renamed to "hallucinogenic journeys".

I'm doing History and Memory in Module C, and I was using a text for related material that was also a set text, and apparently that's not good.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
hipPo3 said:

gah don't mention how Coleridge was on drugs. DON'T.

its never relevant to the question. they're asking you about the poems not the composers recreational habits.

PaleReflection

i can teach you
HSC
hipPo3 said:

lol, I was reading the markers' comments for Kubla Khan, and it said something about top-range answers related the question to Coleridge's Romantic context while the not-so-good answers focused too much on his use of opium... haha

PaleReflection

i can teach you
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
I'm doing History and Memory in Module C, and I was using a text for related material that was also a set text, and apparently that's not good.
Well I chose Nineteen Eighty Four as a related text for Imaginative Journeys without knowing it was a set text for Powerplay... I knew people on here said that was a bad idea, so when I found out I asked my teacher about it and he said it was fine.

Is it a bad idea for me to use it? Even if I was doing it for Powerplay (I'm not, I do Antony and Cleopatra :| ), the aspects of hte text which relate to journeys are completely different to the parts that relate to power... I don't understand why it's frowned upon so much.

hipPo3

HSC
Tulipa said:
gah don't mention how Coleridge was on drugs. DON'T.

its never relevant to the question. they're asking you about the poems not the composers recreational habits.
haha ... yea i know not to say he was on drugs .. but can u say he was under a laudanum trance ??? that would be more pleasing :)

namely its better not to talk much about thier lives, just thier inspriations .. in a way if u play ur words correctly anything u add could be relevant to the question

PaleReflection

i can teach you
HSC
I was reading something about how when you take opium and go to sleep straight after, you don't remember your dreams, and that our sexually disfunctional friend Samuel must have been in a 'trance' to have imagined the world of Xanadu, making the title "A vision in a dream" inaccurate, lol.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
best advice?

don't even go there. forget about the drugs he was under. it isn't RELEVANT anytime to the question. our teacher and someone from the helpline said it was pointless, distracting and time wasting to include it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)