Colerigde - How many poems? (1 Viewer)

Danni07

happy little vegemite
HSC
How many poems woul you talk about when doing your response for the AOS question? In our assesment for school, we had to use 1 poem, 1 stimulusbooklet and 2 of our own resources... However would it be better to use 2 of Coleridge's poems (excluding Rime...)?

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Well for the AOS we have to do 2 coleridge poems, 1 stim book text, and 2 texts of our choosing.

I would recommend 2. Just use a text where it fits in nicely with the point your trying to make.

Opium

:: Unbound ::
HSC
know 2 poems EXTENSIVELY and know a 3rd poem fairly well. If the need arises be able to to three but concentrate on two. That's what I was instructed to do.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
2 is the minimum but u might like to know a 3rd in order to make a reference to support your argument maybe

hint hint: the 4th would be the ancient mariner ;) hahaha

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
i think thats a tad excessive...unless you really love coleridge but surely no one like that old cadge?

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
Sarah168 said:
2 is the minimum but u might like to know a 3rd in order to make a reference to support your argument maybe

hint hint: the 4th would be the ancient mariner ;) hahaha
I actually think the mariner would be the easiest to use...i think you can lift the most 'volume' from it, ie the most meaning. Obviously you dont need to know the whole poem, just the parts that are most enlightening, for instance the start and the end...

But yeh, knowing 3 poems pretty well will certainly get you by I think!

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
Opium said:
know 2 poems EXTENSIVELY and know a 3rd poem fairly well. If the need arises be able to to three but concentrate on two. That's what I was instructed to do.
thats what we were told.. im thinking kubla khan and lime tree bower

hYperTrOphY

HSC
There is no set number you have to do. The prescribed text is "Coleridge's Poetry". Thus, you can do oneof his poems, or 4 if you like.

We really only concentrated on "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" and "Lime Tree Bower". Our teacher said to know these 2 well, but be familiar with the others also.
For all of the responses I have done thus far on the AOS I have used the Mariner and Lime Tree Bower, however when I did an answer on how the traveller is affected I only did Rime of the Ancient Mariner... So it really depends on the question, and how well you can answer the question with the different texts.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Meads said:
I actually think the mariner would be the easiest to use...i think you can lift the most 'volume' from it, ie the most meaning. Obviously you dont need to know the whole poem, just the parts that are most enlightening, for instance the start and the end...

But yeh, knowing 3 poems pretty well will certainly get you by I think!
hahha just cos its the longest doesnt mean its the most meaningful ;)

depending on your thesis, certain poems might be better choices

i was somewhat joking about the mariner thing as its so ridiculously long...then again I've read entire novels written in verse ergh

xBellex

Yeh knowing two poems in depth and another one for back-up is generally what you should do, because (and correct me if I'm wrong here), last year about five minutes before sitting paper one, my English Co-ordinator told us that they can limit the poems that you choose (you know, in the list at the bottom of the page)...I know it's a bit obvious for me to say that but still, I wouldn't want someone to stress out like I did before paper one!

S

Shuter

Yeah, do 2 in depth, and a 3rd well. Primarily because sometimes you will get a question requiring two, but the two you extensively know are not the best for comparison, and it is easy to compare it to one of the other poems.

Sphyx

Asphyxiated
HSC
Two at the maximum, imo. If you really want to get the A-range, you need to discuss them *in-depth*. No, really. That means analysing extensively the many many themes that exist in each poem that somehow relate to imaginative journeys. You really aren't going to impress the markers if you analyse 3 poems by only stating half a page on each theme, remembering you still have to analyse 1 stimulus piece and 2 related material. In fact, in the 2004 marker's comments, it was pointed out that numerous responces were placed in the A-range by only analysing 1 poem extensively.
Basically if the question asks for at least 1, DO just one (or two if you write fast). If question asks for two, DO just 2. Roll with the question.

icyeyes

Danni07 ,
u are my hero for asking this question!!!! i was getting so worried over this- im doing 'Kubla Khan' and "this lime tree bower my prison' as the two main detailed poems, third is 'frost' and the last resort to be used out of sheer desperation is 'rime'--- but then again my teacher never mentioned to us that we could focus on particualr poems so im not sure if we have to do all or not. she did say, however, that for frontline we could concentrate on 2-3 episodes and mention the rest in passing. so perhaps the same applies to coleridge.

bonniejjj

HSC
My teacher advised us to use 2 in exams, and dedicate half our time (i.e. half the essay or whatever text type) to the prescribed text. I definately agree with people who have advised to know 2 in-depth, and a third well, and be familiar with the fourth. In an exam, however, it is quite acceptable to only talk about one, as the question most likely won't stipulate how many to use- this is particularly applicable if discussing "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner." Just remember to be well-prepared, because the question may not suit your favoured poem!

zena16

welll...

Well...I suggest that use do 2 depth of Coleridges poemz...1 from the stimulus booklet and 1 relating text of your own that uve studied in class...well thats what i did and trust me...doing what we've done is better...you really don't have much time if you wanted to do more and write in depth honestly...remember you only have like 40-45mins to write that essay...so yeah...Goodluck honestly i just did my trialz for both paper 1 and 2...i reckon i did alrite but i like finished on the time...so if use wanted to do more than 1 relating text you gotta be fast at writing...

Goodluck Peoples..Wish use all the best!..."2005"....

melimoo

knows how to rave
HSC
Sarah168 said:
i think thats a tad excessive...unless you really love coleridge but surely no one like that old cadge?
yes!! <3 coleridge :eek:

am doing 2 in depth - kubla khan & lime tree bower

will do frost @ midnight if i have a few hrs spare after doing my paper (ie. i won't do it)

refuse to do ancient mariner. such a long-winded useless poem :)

aliciat

HSC
Well I did two Coleridge poems, no more and no less. Lime Tree and Ancient Mariner. What I was most worried about though, was the two texts we pick ourselves I wasn't as familiar with as I was with the poems.

Luckily we only needed one for the HSC last year. I can't for the life of me remember which one I used though. Heart of Darkness I think?

I also think the questions are usually broad enough for you to manipulate whatever poems you picked to fit the question.

Good Luck! Glad I never have to do that again.

dimzi

OMGWTFBBQ
HSC
Had my trials today, and god damn I was running short of time!

I used FAM and LTBmP, because:
1 - They're pretty easy to remember
2 - We studied them extensively in class
3 - They arnt shithouse long like Rime

Heh

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)