Come hither Creative Writers (1 Viewer)

iamsickofyear12

HSC
A creative writing uni degree, thats a pretty big waste of time. How can you be taught to write creatively anyway. Being creative is just something that come naturally.

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
A creative writing uni degree, thats a pretty big waste of time. How can you be taught to write creatively anyway. Being creative is just something that come naturally.
dude dont be dumb... creative writing doesnt teach you how to BE creative, it teaches you how to USE that creativity properly...

journalism
novelists
poets
song writers

wendy help me out here

iamsickofyear12

HSC
AtticusFinch said:
dude dont be dumb... creative writing doesnt teach you how to BE creative, it teaches you how to USE that creativity properly...

journalism
novelists
poets
song writers

wendy help me out here
If you are creative you shouldn't need to be taught how to use it. Fair enough if you are taught the proper use of english but that wouldn't be 'creative writing' that would be 'english'.

glitter burns

the sky is falling
HSC
We're taught the technical aspects of creative writing, the history of creative writing, and the philosophy behind it (and don't say there isn't any philosophy behind it, there's a fuckload).
And we're taught things like editing, and how to write things like screenplays and such. And in learning about things like screenplays we learn about the technicalities of that and the history and philosophies of it).
We're not taught how the basics on how to write or to be creative, we're just given information and skills that will enhance what abilities we already have.

I did English at university last year, and what we are doing is very different to what I did in English.

There's also a degree in visual arts, do you think that it's a useless degree too?
And one in graphic design too?
Is your arguement that any numbskull can paint a picture or use photoshop?
Because they're not teaching the basic how-to, but what you can do with the skills you have.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
glitter burns said:
We're taught the technical aspects of creative writing, the history of creative writing, and the philosophy behind it (and don't say there isn't any philosophy behind it, there's a fuckload).
And we're taught things like editing, and how to write things like screenplays and such. And in learning about things like screenplays we learn about the technicalities of that and the history and philosophies of it).
We're not taught how the basics on how to write or to be creative, we're just given information and skills that will enhance what abilities we already have.

I did English at university last year, and what we are doing is very different to what I did in English.

There's also a degree in visual arts, do you think that it's a useless degree too?
And one in graphic design too?
Is your arguement that any numbskull can paint a picture or use photoshop?
Because they're not teaching the basic how-to, but what you can do with the skills you have.
Graphic design no, thats important. Visual arts I would say no. Any numbskull can paint a picture, not use photoshop though.

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
#1 Fan said:
i luv my lecturer
four words a post

to wendy and glitter burns... i have your names on the door at nth gong as i promised today to you wendy... ill be seeing you

Miss Wendy

HSC
Hey.

Why are you bagging out my degree? What exactly are you hoping to achieve? What are you studying that is so much more 'essential' than writing? I may not use engineering in my degree, but I bet you use writing.

I don't see the point in comparing degrees. If you had wanted to do mine, you would have, and vice versa. People pick degrees for different reasons.

There's probably not much I can say that will change your mind. That's your oppinion. However, I will say that I am studying what I love, in a class of forty of the best people around.

So who's up for a beer? I'm probably at the unibar already. See you there!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)