Commencement of Uni (1 Viewer)

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Semester 1 2008 commences on Monday 2 March. In addition to scheduled classes that commence on Monday 9 March and run in Weeks 1 to 12, Kensington and COFA students are expected to attend University in Week Zero, from Monday to Friday 2-6 March.
Found this and it was confusing me about. Asked a few friends and apparently week 0 = all lectures minus tuts + labs (bar math for me) hence we need to attend to get information on the course?

Except when I view my timetable for week ONE, this is the week without the tuts/labs - can someone clarify things?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
quite normal.

Week 0 is usually held for information lectures and seminars. Real teaching lectures and tutes are held from week 1 onwards.

Theres also a new 12 weeks in 13 policy starting but it takes effect in S2. Week 0 will no longer exist by then

Sauce: https://my.unsw.edu.au/student/atoz/WeekZero.html

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Seeing as I'm first year it'd be advisable to go to week 0 yes?

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
There should be some myStart programs you'd be interested in (how to suceed at uni etc etc)

Check firstly with your schools if they're hosting any information lectures or tutes. When I first started the school of math held an introduction to maple lecture with practice labs during week 0. My school of cse also held lab 0 for commencing students.

gh0stface

HSC
sorry to hijack thread.

I got a job interview on march 2nd, and i dont think theres anyway to arrange another time for it. Would it be alright if i miss the first day of week 0, would i miss out on alot?

Also, can some1 give me a link to the week 0 timetable for 1st yr Bcommerce students. thanks.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Look at your timetable, in the details section.

It should say something like:

- Weeks 1,6-7-12
- Weeks 0-5,6-12
- Weeks 1-6,7

etc.

Look for ones that start in Week 0, I guess :pirate:
i can't find the option for week 0 ?

L

quit bos forever 23/01/07
Under the Tuscan Sun, as per usual, fuckan tearin
HSC
N/A
sorry to hijack thread.

I got a job interview on march 2nd, and i dont think theres anyway to arrange another time for it. Would it be alright if i miss the first day of week 0, would i miss out on alot?

Also, can some1 give me a link to the week 0 timetable for 1st yr Bcommerce students. thanks.
we dont negotiate with terrorists

lolsandwicher

HSC
Look at your timetable, in the details section.

It should say something like:

- Weeks 1,6-7-12
- Weeks 0-5,6-12
- Weeks 1-6,7

etc.

Look for ones that start in Week 0, I guess :pirate:
i have no classes that begin in week 0.

does this mean that none of my classes will be held next week? i.e another week of holidays

and does this also mean that we will get our required book list in week 1?

edit: ImageShack - Image Hosting :: 34041195.png

just one subject to show what im looking at

edit2: probably cant see it too clearly, but its this thing i was talking about "1-5,6-12"

missanonymous7

Secretive Member
HSC
i have no classes that begin in week 0.

does this mean that none of my classes will be held next week? i.e another week of holidays

and does this also mean that we will get our required book list in week 1?

edit: ImageShack - Image Hosting :: 34041195.png

just one subject to show what im looking at

edit2: probably cant see it too clearly, but its this thing i was talking about "1-5,6-12"
^ i have the same question - plus, what about lectures in week 0? if they don't say 'week 0' in the weeks description thing on our timetable, does that mean we don't go? as in, i wouldn't go to ANYTHING except possibly mystart things during next week? or would there be little course introductions etc in those lectures?

man, someone needs to make a 'unsw for dummies'. or extend the existing guides here on bos.

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
week 0 is not an 'official' teaching week. Lessons begin week 1 onwards.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)