Commerce at UNSW, USYD or MACQ? (1 Viewer)

Lou283

HSC
I wanted to get peoples opinion on which uni to choose to study commerce? I will probably major in Marketing and Management.

I live in Western Sydney so Macquarie is by far the easiest to get to and then Uni Syd where-as UNSW will take me over 2 hours to get to. I know however that UNSW is suppose to be the best for Commerce.

I wanted to get peoples opinions on overall which university would be the best to attend as a mature age student (21). As I am leaving work to attend I have to ensure I am giving myself the best opportunities but also enjoying my time being at uni.

Also, is UTS's B' Business similar??

My high school grades are from overseas so i just have to put everything in preference order and hope for the best. I am not entirely sure what my equivalent ATAR is plus I have work experience which may be taken into account.

Thanks!

*** EDIT - Could you rank them in terms of best for Commerce? Say if they were all the same distance away, what is the logical rank or preferences?

Last edited:

ascentyx

HSC
people put too much emphasis on how important your uni choice is. personally i would go to whatever is closer or better for you.

snorlaxx

Banned
HSC
UNSW hands down imo

Edit: I also agree entirely what ascentyx said and go to the one closer/better for you

jenecis

HSC
By reputation (including international rankings), UNSW (aka the Australian School of Business) is the best for business.

Though it is further to get to, UNSW offers the advantage of flexible timetabling - i.e. you get to mix and match which class times you want to attend (as opposed to getting an automated timetable say at Usyd) so you can minimise your travel time. Also, as a mature age student, this means that it gives you flexibility if you wish to work and study at the same time (UNSW offers evening classes too) or if you have other commitments.

Course-wise, I prefer the UNSW structure for BCom. Unlike other unis, it offers you the choice of majoring in a language, and has gen ed requirements. Whilst others may find this a waste of time, I find the gen ed requirements interesting as it allows you to broaden your field and do some study in subjects that may interest you, as opposed to being restricted to purely commerce subjects. Plus, it's a great WAM (Weighted Average Mark - equivalent of a GPA) booster :). There is a new structure for BCom starting next year so I can't really comment on it, but it seems fairly similiar to the old BCom, with some flexibility in choice of core subjects (looking at it, I would have chosen all the currently compulsory subjects in BCom anyway).

Hope that helps!

Lou283

HSC
By reputation (including international rankings), UNSW (aka the Australian School of Business) is the best for business.

Though it is further to get to, UNSW offers the advantage of flexible timetabling - i.e. you get to mix and match which class times you want to attend (as opposed to getting an automated timetable say at Usyd) so you can minimise your travel time. Also, as a mature age student, this means that it gives you flexibility if you wish to work and study at the same time (UNSW offers evening classes too) or if you have other commitments.

Course-wise, I prefer the UNSW structure for BCom. Unlike other unis, it offers you the choice of majoring in a language, and has gen ed requirements. Whilst others may find this a waste of time, I find the gen ed requirements interesting as it allows you to broaden your field and do some study in subjects that may interest you, as opposed to being restricted to purely commerce subjects. Plus, it's a great WAM (Weighted Average Mark - equivalent of a GPA) booster :). There is a new structure for BCom starting next year so I can't really comment on it, but it seems fairly similiar to the old BCom, with some flexibility in choice of core subjects (looking at it, I would have chosen all the currently compulsory subjects in BCom anyway).

Hope that helps!
WOW Thank you! That makes sense :jump: Excited that I could do evenings and perhaps keep a more regular job a couple of days a week. =) Looks like I may take my book of questions to info day =)

jenecis

HSC
WOW Thank you! That makes sense :jump: Excited that I could do evenings and perhaps keep a more regular job a couple of days a week. =) Looks like I may take my book of questions to info day =)
No worries ;).

The average workload is for a BCom is 12hrs of lectures/tutes per week, so it's definitely possible to fit in some work.

I just want to clarify - not all the subjects offer evening lectures, but the classes with large numbers usually do. I remember attending a lecture from 6pm to 8pm for a core subject. However, it is fairly common to have tutorials that are held in the evenings. You could check out the 2010 timetable at www.timetable.unsw.edu.au

It may look confusing, but just go the UNSW Business Website and find out which classes you would be enrolling in for the first year, then match those subject codes with that listed in the timetables and you would find the different lectures/tutorials available for that subject.

Lou283

HSC
No worries ;).

The average workload is for a BCom is 12hrs of lectures/tutes per week, so it's definitely possible to fit in some work.

I just want to clarify - not all the subjects offer evening lectures, but the classes with large numbers usually do. I remember attending a lecture from 6pm to 8pm for a core subject. However, it is fairly common to have tutorials that are held in the evenings. You could check out the 2010 timetable at www.timetable.unsw.edu.au

It may look confusing, but just go the UNSW Business Website and find out which classes you would be enrolling in for the first year, then match those subject codes with that listed in the timetables and you would find the different lectures/tutorials available for that subject.
That's great. Thank you for that.

Lou283

HSC
unsw
macq
usyd

So you would suggest that after UNSW that Macquarie is the next option? Even though Uni of Syd has a higher ATAR?

I have heard Macquarie has a great Commerce but wasn't sure if i should put it above Uni of Syd in my preferences.

Monstar

HSC
Ask around various employers..

I did it back in yr 12 and macquarie was preferred over sydney. however it should be noted this was in the area of accounting and it may not include the areas of marketing and management.

ascentyx

HSC
Umm keep in mind that macq also has 'flexible timetabling' as do most unis.

Lou283

HSC
Umm keep in mind that macq also has 'flexible timetabling' as do most unis.
So would you agree the order for a commerce degree would be:

UNSW
MACQ
USYD
UTS (business degree)

??

I had a look but was unsure which companies would be best to contact to ask. I get the distinct impression the university may not make much difference - however I still need to choose an order.

I know everyone will have a slightly different opinion - I have googled my life out of google and nowhere is there a list of Rankings of undergrad business degrees in australia. I would of thought I would of found atleast one official ranking of australian undergrad business degrees. There is for most other subjects.

Last edited:

jenecis

HSC
So would you agree the order for a commerce degree would be:

UNSW
MACQ
USYD
UTS (business degree)

??

I had a look but was unsure which companies would be best to contact to ask. I get the distinct impression the university may not make much difference - however I still need to choose an order.

I know everyone will have a slightly different opinion - I have googled my life out of google and nowhere is there a list of Rankings of undergrad business degrees in australia. I would of thought I would of found atleast one official ranking of australian undergrad business degrees. There is for most other subjects.
True, there are no official rankings of undergrad business degrees in Australia, probably because it's too specific and there are not that many unis in Australia (compared with say the USA).

That said, you can look at the Good Unis Guide (Hobsons) to gain an overview of each university, and there is a section analysing the business/economic departments of each uni.

Also, you could look at the international rankings of MBA programs by business schools, which although is not a perfect correlation with undergrad business degrees, provides a strong indicator about the strength and international reputation of a particular business school. After all, it is the MBA's, not BCom's, that count in the grand scheme of things and the ultimate product of Business Schools.

E.g. 2009 International Business School Rankings by Financial Times (Business school rankings and MBA rankings from the Financial Times) - Best Aussie B-Schools:

Australian School of Business (UNSW) - 32
Melbourne Business School (UMelb) - 52
... And that's all the Aussie unis in the top 100 of the world.

These are just indicators, but probably what executives would base their decisions on which business school to study in. I suppose Macq, Usyd, UTS and all in the next 100 or so.

Last edited:

williamc

HSC
fucking stop with these threads.

just because you gooks don't have the interpersonal skills to impress the interviewer GOING TO MQ DOES NOT EQUAL UNEMPLOYMENT.

I have a friend, who was enrolled in a business and commerce degree at UWS, he scored a job at optus as a salesman in the store. He "deferred" after his first year, worked his way into lower levels of marketing management (unsure which sector), he is now the GM of data products and he is only 28. You know why? He has the most incredible interpersonal skills ever. Not because of what university he went to.

He earns in excess of 300k.

Lou283

HSC
fucking stop with these threads.

just because you gooks don't have the interpersonal skills to impress the interviewer GOING TO MQ DOES NOT EQUAL UNEMPLOYMENT.

I have a friend, who was enrolled in a business and commerce degree at UWS, he scored a job at optus as a salesman in the store. He "deferred" after his first year, worked his way into lower levels of marketing management (unsure which sector), he is now the GM of data products and he is only 28. You know why? He has the most incredible interpersonal skills ever. Not because of what university he went to.

He earns in excess of 300k.
Thank you for your opinion - even if you did feel like you had to swear to get it across. I am thinking myself of not going to uni at all however I lodged an application in case I change my mind and now obviously need to put the universities in a logical order.

I was simply asking current and former students their opinion as to which university would be of most benefit for me to enroll in, especially as a mature aged student.

It is important to me to ensure if I do give up full time work that I don't regret my decision.

I haven't decided if I will attend university yet, my third option (other than not studying at all) ofcourse is to do open university. I didn't share my life story because it was irrelevant. The aim of this thread is to hear others opinions what order they would personally order them in. Not a fight of my uni is better than yours.

I am well aware of many who didn't do an undergraduate at all and are very successful. Sometimes part of the journey is learning.

Last edited:

04er

HSC
for employability, you simply cannot compare anything to unsw/usyd

04er

HSC
I'm not saying you can't get a good job after graduating from the other unis. But if you ask ppl which uni they're from at the big firms/IBs the majority are from unsw and usyd.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)