Communication Elective? (1 Viewer)

smartalec

HSC
Theres a thread for every elective except the most popular - communication (unless im blind haha.)
how did you guys find it? what did everyone say about the LASEK thing?
Also did everyone find they gave us way too much space to write? especially for C. so much for helping us to limit our responses!! I filled the space but felt like I was repeating myself a bit.

concon

HSC
N/A
for the LASEK thing.. i broke down the question into 3 parts.. i first talked about myopia and how it affects vision.. then i talked about glasses/contacts and how they could be utilised to fix myopia.. lastly i talked about LASEK technology how they could reshape the cornea so they glasses are no longer needed.. i pretty much covered up the whole space they gave us

2011_

HSC
for the LASEK thing.. i broke down the question into 3 parts.. i first talked about myopia and how it affects vision.. then i talked about glasses/contacts and how they could be utilised to fix myopia.. lastly i talked about LASEK technology how they could reshape the cornea so they glasses are no longer needed.. i pretty much covered up the whole space they gave us
I did this too, although I didn't go into a lot of detail about classes and contacts - my response was more about Myopia, its cause, how it affects vision and then how LASEK can be used to correct it and therefore improve vision and quality of life.
I ended up getting an extra writing booklet 2 for communication, I used one for my 6 marker and another for the 7 marker.

OmmU

★ BoS Deity ★
HSC
Uni Grad
It was easy, just couldn't remember the labels for the graph axis (so I excluded them to make sure I didn't loose all the marks).

kappy

HSC
FOUND IT SOOO HARD. I forgot what dendrites were and what the cornea was :( I also didn't know 3 mammals. I was like humans have better hearing than cats and crocodiles :mad: 7 marks on the comparison? I was like one, one is put behind the ear, one needs surgery which hurts.

damo_g

HSC
For the LASIK one i just explained what myopia was and why it occurs. Then i wrote about how re-shaping the cornea would fix that and so contacts/glasses would no longer be needed.

For the mammals one i would hope i at least get 4. I used human, blue whale, dolphin. Said that the whale hears at lower frequencies cause so it can send/receive messages over long distances in the ocean. Then with dolphin said it hears at the highest and uses echolocation for detecting prey and stuff. I started with the human and said what hearing range and what range humans hear best at and communicate at. I wrote more than this obviously but i wasn't prepared for this question and was lucky to remember what i did. How many marks do you reckon i'd get with that kind of info?

I think i did decent on the 7 marker but i think i will lose marks for the role of the brain. What did you guys write about for the role of the brain in that question?

Tasha270494

HSC
For the LASIK one i just explained what myopia was and why it occurs. Then i wrote about how re-shaping the cornea would fix that and so contacts/glasses would no longer be needed.

For the mammals one i would hope i at least get 4. I used human, blue whale, dolphin. Said that the whale hears at lower frequencies cause so it can send/receive messages over long distances in the ocean. Then with dolphin said it hears at the highest and uses echolocation for detecting prey and stuff. I started with the human and said what hearing range and what range humans hear best at and communicate at. I wrote more than this obviously but i wasn't prepared for this question and was lucky to remember what i did. How many marks do you reckon i'd get with that kind of info?

I think i did decent on the 7 marker but i think i will lose marks for the role of the brain. What did you guys write about for the role of the brain in that question?
+ 1
I did basically the exact same thing, except I talked about bats instead of whales.
I literally wrote like one sentence for the role of the brain - cause I wasn't sure. I just said the auditory nerve takes the electrochemical message from the ear to the temporal lobe (auditory cortex) where the brain initiates an appropriate response (e.g. covering ears with hands due to a loud sound). I seriously had no idea of what else to write.
Also, did you guys say that LASIK made a concave shape in the cornea? I was kinda unsure but I wrote it anyway lol.

smartalec

HSC
+ 1
I did basically the exact same thing, except I talked about bats instead of whales.
I literally wrote like one sentence for the role of the brain - cause I wasn't sure. I just said the auditory nerve takes the electrochemical message from the ear to the temporal lobe (auditory cortex) where the brain initiates an appropriate response (e.g. covering ears with hands due to a loud sound). I seriously had no idea of what else to write.
Also, did you guys say that LASIK made a concave shape in the cornea? I was kinda unsure but I wrote it anyway lol.
I wrote the same amount on the brain as you :p except I said. if someone yells then it is taken as a danger. lol. i was under pressure ok! haha.
I didn't write concave, but that sounds good...I just said it adjusts it untill it enables light to reach the fovea on the retina so a clear image could be achieved.

damo_g

HSC
+ 1
You would have done better than me on the bit about the brain. I just wrote about the auditory nerve sending the message to the brain and then some bullshit cause i wasn't sure. For the LASIK i just wrote that the surgery changes the shape of the cornea so the focal length is increased and the image falls onto the retina correctly.

What option scales the best? Is it communication?
not sure, but i am pretty sure it's not communication.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Biochemistry would scale the best imo. Seems more difficult than the rest of the course for an average biology student.

SpreadTheWord

HSC
Lasik 3 marks - 1 - Cornea tissue sliced off and folded
2 - Laser is placed on exposed folded cornea tissue reshaping it
3 - once laser has finished, the cornea tissue is unfolded and attached/inserted back into the eye.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Lasik 3 marks - 1 - Cornea tissue sliced off and folded
2 - Laser is placed on exposed folded cornea tissue reshaping it
3 - once laser has finished, the cornea tissue is unfolded and attached/inserted back into the eye.
That's 1 mark.
2 - Outlining myopia and how it is corrected.
3 - Linking how the LASIK surgery can be used to correct myopia.

SpreadTheWord

HSC
That's 1 mark.
2 - Outlining myopia and how it is corrected.
3 - Linking how the LASIK surgery can be used to correct myopia.
It asks how Lasik corrects it. So basicly, i've discussed the procedure. This procedure can also be used for hyperopia or whatever its called as well. There are 3 key points to the procedure.

-Jonny

HSC
It asks how Lasik corrects it. So basicly, i've discussed the procedure. This procedure can also be used for hyperopia or whatever its called as well. There are 3 key points to the procedure.
Yeah, but it's not asking for the procedure, it's asking how it corrects it. So they want
1. Explanation of Myopia
2. Explanation of how glasses/contacts fix it, i.e. concave(?) lenses
3. Explanation of HOW the procedure has the potential to fix it, i.e. shape the lens into a concave(or whatever it is) shape which refracts the light to form an image on the retina, rather than before it, hence making a correctly focussed image.

KateSinead

HSC
Just wondering, for c) I) what are the functions of the cornea. I only learnt one function? Refracts light. And it was 2 marks, so I didn't know what it's other function was. I just said protects eye for second function :/ unless I'm missing something completely obvious
What did you guys put?

smartalec

HSC
hmm i think it protects the eye from environmental factors like dirt and stuff. Although I just said it protects the eyeball in the exam, was too focused on that it refracts light...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)